-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What Mackay and SargeMO said. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot anything with a 250 gr. Keith type SWC, that I cast myself.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shooting for bone with a 44 pistol! Damn better shot than me. Use an XTP deer are soft skinned animals

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by lastround

What Mackay and SargeMO said. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot anything with a 250 gr. Keith type SWC, that I cast myself.

^^^^^^^ That's the ticket for me.

Killed this'n with a hard cast Keith over 18.0 gr of 2400

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

In God We Trust
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by lastround

Great news from all three of you, Thanks! you all are making me feel better about using my little FA 97 in 44 Special this season for close range white tail deer, it fires a GT Bullets version of the 255gr Keith bullet, it's an accurate 1030 fps over 4227 powder, bullet has a nice .300 thou meplat, will also be looking for shoulders.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell of a deal Dave Keith! Congrats.

Trump Won!
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm an LBT slut

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Shooting for bone with a 44 pistol! Damn better shot than me. Use an XTP deer are soft skinned animals

If you can’t shoot your pistol well enough to hit a deer’s shoulder you probably shouldn’t be hunting deer with it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Trash the "hardcast" crap and go with wheelweight hardness bulets. Hard cast rarely slugs up, leads badly, and doesn't expand. Lyman 429421 or 429244gc over 20 2400 is all I use. M29, Super Blackhawk, 94 Win, 94 Marlin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'm an LBT slut

Yep. 280 gr WFN LBT. 10 grains of Unique. Kills deer and hogs here at the Ranch graveyard dead.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'm an LBT slut

Any .44 LBT design that starts with a W will kill deer like a rifle with similar shot placement.

The W stands for Whacks Hard.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
"Hardcast" are not necessarily the best option for cast bullets and deer, unless you plan to shoot something in the ass. If shooting for the front end, softer bullets will work better. Any deformation will likely create a wider wound channel. That said, it has been my experience that if you shoot for and hit bone with hardcast bullets, the deer don't make it far.

A wide meplat hardcast leave large wound channels and kill very well in my experience. 75 to 80% meplat hard cast have been very good killers my me on small medium and large game

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I recommend the LBT WFN types. Deer don't take a lot of bullet weight so if you shoot anything from about 225 up to 325 you are going to get exits. I use 320 Grain LBT WFN GC bullets in my 44 magnums and nothing else. In my 44 Specials I use 250 and 260 grain LBT WFNS or 460 grain Keith SWCs.

I have read so many posts of narrow wounds and long tracking jobs using cast bullets but I started killing various critters with a 45 colt using cast bullets in 1969 and went to a 44 magnum in 1973. I have killed several dozen deer with cast 44s and 45s and with 44 mags I have also killed a few elk, bears, antelope, cattle, horses and 2 buffalo with wide nosed Keith SWCs and the LBT WFN bullets I have never seen "narrow wounds and long tracking jobs". In fact, so far, every kill I have made in my entire life with revolvers has been a 1 shot kill. I did kill 1 white tail with 2 shots from a 45ACP but those bullet were military hardball. My mistake, because I wanted to use 225 grain HPs but I forgot to swap magazines and killed the deer with what was in the gun. That deer went about 40 yards after the 1st hit but even the hard ball didn't make for a super long tracking job. The 2nd shot finished it off.

I bet at least 1/3 of the game I have killed with handguns fell within 15 feet of where they were hit and about 10-12 have dropped in one step or less. A few have fallen instantly while the gun was still in recoil. I do aim for bone if I can, but I have seen many fast kills when I missed the bones .

My experience with 44 magnums and 45 colts and my 454 Casull, all using hard cast flat nose bullets, has proven to me that they are far more effective than most people thing they are. Thinking back on the kills I have made with 30-30s 35 Remington's and 303 British rifles I have to say that similar hits with my 44 magnums have killed the game just about as fast judging from the time from shot to the animals being on the ground.

Last edited by szihn; 01/19/21.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I use an LBT 260 gr. WFN at about 975 out of my 44 SPL. I don’t think there is a deer that would stop that bullet. I’ve had straight line penetration for about 28” diagonally through bone.

Old70

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
I recommend the LBT WFN types. Deer don't take a lot of bullet weight so if you shoot anything from about 225 up to 325 you are going to get exits. I use 320 Grain LBT WFN GC bullets in my 44 magnums and nothing else. In my 44 Specials I use 250 and 260 grain LBT WFNS or 460 grain Keith SWCs.

I have read so many posts of narrow wounds and long tracking jobs using cast bullets but I started killing various critters with a 45 colt using cast bullets in 1969 and went to a 44 magnum in 1973. I have killed several dozen deer with cast 44s and 45s and with 44 mags I have also killed a few elk, bears, antelope, cattle, horses and 2 buffalo with wide nosed Keith SWCs and the LBT WFN bullets I have never seen "narrow wounds and long tracking jobs". In fact, so far, every kill I have made in my entire life with revolvers has been a 1 shot kill. I did kill 1 white tail with 2 shots from a 45ACP but those bullet were military hardball. My mistake, because I wanted to use 225 grain HPs but I forgot to swap magazines and killed the deer with what was in the gun. That deer went about 40 yards after the 1st hit but even the hard ball didn't make for a super long tracking job. The 2nd shot finished it off.

I bet at least 1/3 of the game I have killed with handguns fell within 15 feet of where they were hit and about 10-12 have dropped in one step or less. A few have fallen instantly while the gun was still in recoil. I do aim for bone if I can, but I have seen many fast kills when I missed the bones .

My experience with 44 magnums and 45 colts and my 454 Casull, all using hard cast flat nose bullets, has proven to me that they are far more effective than most people thing they are. Thinking back on the kills I have made with 30-30s 35 Remington's and 303 British rifles I have to say that similar hits with my 44 magnums have killed the game just about as fast judging from the time from shot to the animals being on the ground.

I think it's the "hard" part of hard cast that people don't like as much hunting medium game.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have to agree that hard may not be best for light game like deer. Here’s an option that can give you a Keith SWC along with a hollow point option. Mihec makes beautiful molds, they cast great and this mold is a clone of the H&G 503, which by many accounts is pretty true to Elmer’s original. With the added benefit of a hollow point if you desire.

Cast soft, 8-11 BHN, with the HP pins, would give you a great deer bullet.

Dick Thompson, who used to post here quite a bit has taken a lot of game with soft cast HP bullets.

Mihec 503

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used 5744 for target loads. But for hunting I use full power H110 or 2400 and 245 semi-wadcutter with GC,

I'm pretty sure the 5744 loads would work, just never tried them.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is anyone running the Lee 310gr bullet C430-310 on deer? Seems to have a nice big metplat and multiple seating bands. I got one to try in my 1881 Swiss Vetterli for deer, but haven't had a chance to get to the range. As long as it will feed and is reasonably accurate, it should hit harder than the Vetterli replica bullet that has a much smaller metplat. I need to try it in my .44 mag SB Hunter, but it will have a hill to climb to shoot better than 2.5 MOA groups at 100yds that it will do with 240 XTPs.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gzig5
Is anyone running the Lee 310gr bullet C430-310 on deer? Seems to have a nice big metplat and multiple seating bands. I got one to try in my 1881 Swiss Vetterli for deer, but haven't had a chance to get to the range. As long as it will feed and is reasonably accurate, it should hit harder than the Vetterli replica bullet that has a much smaller metplat. I need to try it in my .44 mag SB Hunter, but it will have a hill to climb to shoot better than 2.5 MOA groups at 100yds that it will do with 240 XTPs.

I've found that bullet to be quite accurate if it's sized appropriately. Small sample in regard to deer and elk, but they certainly exit. The alloy I have run allowed for a bit of expansion or at least riveting of the WFN. I tend to shoot for bone with cast bullets unless the alloy is very soft for the speed I am pushing them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
good to hear. I think the ones I cast were with a 10-11 Bhn alloy according to the Lee tool. The 33" barrel on the Vetterli will get them up over 1400 fps easily so there might be some expansion. I think I'm going to see if I can make a collet up and reliably drill a hollow point in the lathe on a few and see how they shoot. I don't think I need a hollow point, but should be an interesting endeavor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have any use at all for hard cast lead.

Pure lead works in rifles and pistols if properly packaged.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No exits on deer or hogs, no tracking. Bang-Flop.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.