-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not much of a cook, but I can follow instructions. I'm looking for a recipe for enchiladas. The only Mexican restaurant within an hour drive closed down a couple of years ago and it looks like I'm going to have to resort to making my own.

Thanks

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've only made 1 homemade red sauce, about 3-4 times now. It's good, just don't have a lot to compare it too. Might try a new sauce the next time, just to have something to compare with.
The first time I made it however, I had a can of store bought sauce on hand just in case. The homemade was noticeably better.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

Last edited by Whisky; 01/18/21.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just made this a couple weeks ago, good recipe!

https://iamnm.com/new-mexico-hatch-red-chile-recipe/

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Meat, onions, chilis, garlic, maybe a few olives and some cheese for filling. Stuff in Tortillas, cover with sauce and cheese and bake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anymore I just make an enchilada casserole. Easier and every bit as good.

Enchilada Casserole

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's Tex-Mex, for crying out loud. There is only one recipe: you take tortillas and slop on meat, cheese, refried beans, salsa, and some onion. Depending on how you fold or roll the tortilla, you then call it an enchilada, a burrito, a taco, a tostada, a chalupa, a torta...

They're all just about the same.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that's why I just pile it in a pan and call it a casserole. wink

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make a roux of flour, bacon grease and water. Add chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, ground camino, salt and pepper. Bloom your spices. At the ranch I use a powdered chili mix such as (https://www.fiestaspices.com/product/quick-chili-mix/ . Add water and simmer to make a light gravy. I try to make at least a quart of gravy. Dip a corn tortilla in the hot gravy to limber it up then put it in a casserole dish. Add the cheese of your choice and any other fillings you like. Chicken, ground meat etc... Roll it up and repeat. Top with more cheese and onions. Pour remaining sauce on top and bake till cheese is melted.

BP...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Give these a try from a Mexican Jew.

Easier than writing out my own recipe.

Enchiladas de Pollo Suizas Sanborns

https://patijinich.com/sanborns-swiss-chicken-enchiladas/

I like to char my veggies before blending.

For speedy week night cooking use a big can of green enchilada sauce instead of blending your own tomatillos and onions. Cilantro is optional as well but I like to keep it in even for the speedy one by fine chopping and adding it to sauce. I also like raw onions mixed with the shredded chicken and sometimes a little grated jack.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Give these a try from a Mexican Jew.

Easier than writing out my own recipe.

Enchiladas de Pollo Suizas Sanborns

https://patijinich.com/sanborns-swiss-chicken-enchiladas/

I like to char my veggies before blending.

For speedy week night cooking use a big can of green enchilada sauce instead of blending your own tomatillos and onions. Cilantro is optional as well but I like to keep it in even for the speedy one by fine chopping and adding it to sauce. I also like raw onions mixed with the shredded chicken and sometimes a little grated jack.

she makes some good stuff, pretty sure she lives in the States with her fam

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i have tried to make my own red enchilada sauce, didn't like the flavor, guess i should just settle for canned

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Here are a couple of easily made enchilada sauces. This recipe uses grilled chicken for the tortillas but I have substituded pulled pork and brisket with good results also.

Rojo sauce:
1 can of enchilada sauce
1 can of rotel tomatos
1 can green chilis
3 tbls of mole'
1 tbls of chipotle pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cimun
1tsp chili powder
A handfull of shredded cheddar cheesr

simmer and reduce by 1/3. Put a small amount in the baking dish and then fill each tortilla with chicken and place on top of it. Pour the rest of the rojo over the enchiladas and add cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly

Blanco:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pint of sour cream
enough chicken broth to get it to thin out to your liking
1 handfull of shredded cheddar cheese

Heat on medium until the cheese melts and do not boil. Coat the bottom of the baking dish with a little of the sauce, stack the chicken stuffed tortillas and the pour the rest of the sauce over the top and bake at 350 until bubbly.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 65 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.