Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m trying to set up some hunts on my e-caller. I see and hear people talking about using howls and it seems that on the hunting shows most start their set with a howl. But where I’m at, I cannot remember hearing any howls like they use. I hear the socializing when they are together, but don’t hear howls. Should I be using one anyway or avoid it and go straight to the cottontail or coon distress?

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This time of year I would be using howls to start then wait 2 to 3 minutes then go to some kind of rodent or bird distress.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Had 2 coyotes in view in a prairie dog town about half a mile out, started the set with a howl. They both looked up and ran hard away. Wind was right and they never seen us. I am moving back towards hand calls. I have better luck and don’t blow coyotes out setting up an ecaller.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Breakshunter
Had 2 coyotes in view in a prairie dog town about half a mile out, started the set with a howl. They both looked up and ran hard away. Wind was right and they never seen us. I am moving back towards hand calls. I have better luck and don’t blow coyotes out setting up an ecaller.

Coyotes are territorial. The two that ran were probably really young and ran back to the pack unit.

They are not going to go out of their way to investigate another group of dogs unless they feel they have been intruded on or there is a threat to their territory.

You can get them to investigate *sometimes* by using the siren sound on your e-caller for a short blast. Challenge barks/howls sometimes work.

Female howls especially in breeding season, pup distress and small game distress calls usually bring them in.

If they bark at you...they've already seen you or scented you.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.