Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Used to work with a guy north of you Tikka who decided he had to have one in his bedroom and on at night to listen to the chatter just in case he MIGHT be needed in the hospital for an emergency surgery. It was on every night, all night.

I told him he was crazy! That's what I wore a beeper for so I could be called in IF NEEDED. I figured that was a big enough sacrifice but what my commitment to my job and the people in the area deserved. Now I just rely on my cell phone as coverage is so much better throughout the area I frequent when on call.

He was a type A kind of guy and wound tighter than a new spool of fishing line. He would really get worked up at all of the goings on at night in Carbon/Emery Counties and we would hear about it all day! Sadly, he would let those things get to him and he let let it distract him in the care of a couple of his patients ...it came back to bite him, rightfully so given the circumstances.

There are some who obviously need a scanner on in their homes but not most. To the latter who see it as "entertainment", get a life! In your case, you get much more bang for you buck in your truck or UTV out and about enjoying what you have at your disposal down there. JMHO.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't need one....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. They issued me my own radio.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Was a VFF for 25 years. Right after I got on we had a house fire in the middle of the night. I went screaming out of the house to the FD but forgot
my pager. I get home about 5 hours later and come into the living room and my pillow is in the middle of the floor. I thought rut row! This not good.
Picked up the pillow and my pager was under it. Wife got tired of listening to the chatter and couldn't figure out how to clear it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife’s uncle had one. He’d listen to that thing during my shift hoping to get an inside ear on what was happening. Then he’d call a day later and want to talk about the crap he heard. Lol. I miss him

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never understood the fascination listening to other people's
problems.

If it involves me or mine, I'm already neck deep.
If it doesn't, I'm not intetested.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just curious

My bud has one in his garage.........

He listens to it while drinking Busch beer from cans.......

He is a very talented welder/fabricator also.......

Just likes Busch beer------- cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No. I don’t. Too much noise

Last edited by hanco; 01/20/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Back when they were applicable , you could put it on scan and it would go through the entire frequency range .
The police frequencies not known to the average joe were pretty interesting at times .
Once we were in Tucson and killing time playing with the scanner .
It was some holiday , don’t remember which , but there was a helicopter patrol checking out a roof party . Then they started chattering about taking fire . Chatter went back and forth with dispatch and they pulled out and went elsewhere to patrol .
Yes I know it’s hard to believe , I was having trouble believing what I had just heard I can tell you .
But rest assured I ain’t one to tell B.S. stories .
Then picked up a police phone call , officer was patting down a skin head and I was blown away at the physical discription the officer was relaying to another officer . Guy was queer as a three dollar bill .
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 01/20/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My wife had one she would turn on when the kids were teenagers. She would listen when they were out running around. I found it really irritating. There were many people back then that had one on all hours hoping to get some gossip.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.