Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thought I'd check here before the classifieds, hope that is ok.

Any of you have some 250 savage brass you'd sell?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My local Ace hardware has about 6-7 boxes of Hornady 250 Savage brass. I bought a couple there on Sunday. I had looked all over the internet and couldn't find any but there it was on the shelf.
I can get whatever is left for you and ship it too you. 100-150 ought to fit in a $10 small flat rate box.
I'll PM you.
Rex

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ace Hardware? I'm lucky if our local Ace sells 1/4" dowel rods let alone ammo/brass!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm loathe to mention this because it's an ugly laborious process, but in a pinch you can form .250-3000 brass out of 6.5 Creedmoor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw a couple dozen boxes of Hornady 250 Savage locally a couple weeks ago on local retailer's shelves, but it's a local company so maybe we just see it more. It was $37-$40 a box depending on the store.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm 'astounded' as gnoahhh-"Ace Hardware"! Must be a real understanding and considerate store manager to offer shooters components and or ammo above 22LR. In my area if I'd walk into any of my Ace Hardware's and ask for brass, they'd probably take me to the plumbing department.

Curious--I know a person can reform .308 Winchester brass to .300 Savage. I did so once and it was a PITA IMO due to all the needed neck trimming. Hate brass trimming with a passion. Only did 20 rds that a friend had given me. Found a source shortly after that offering 300 Savage at a low-low sale price and nabbed 250 rounds. Being that 250 and 300 Savage brass have many of the same dimensions (some of what I've read claim that the 300 Savage was developed using the 250 somewhat/?) (neck a big difference), could a person really in need of 250 Savage brass take a .308 Win, reform to 300 Savage, and then resize to 250 Savage?

Don't know what the problem if any in taking a .308 and resizing to 250 Savage-maybe to much of a 'stretch' there. Alot of working the brass with two resizing's. Say this because new 308 brass sells less new than 250 and 300 Savage brass and is fairly common/available in one fired, at least it used to-hard to say now with all the unhinged price increases on so much. Wonder if 300 Savage brass could be resized to 250 brass dimensions? Being that 300 Savage brass is in short supply at times and worth $$$, might not be a good move unless real desperate.

Might be showing my ignorance here in case reforming, but have always been curious about the possibilities of 250 Savage brass resized from 308 Win. Not planning to do it as I hate all of the trimming business, probably weaken the brass some, and at the time I bought the 300 Savage brass at a real good price, I stocked up on 250 Savage.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sure you could make .250's out of .308's but it would be insanely laborious. Plan on multiple annealings along the way, lots of trimming, and undoubtedly neck reaming will be called for in the end. Best have a sturdy bench and heavy duty loading press because I can see you standing on the handle to make it happen.

I think if I were reduced to that I would sell my .250 rifles and take up an atlatl instead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Saw a couple dozen boxes of Hornady 250 Savage locally a couple weeks ago on local retailer's shelves, but it's a local company so maybe we just see it more. It was $37-$40 a box depending on the store.

That's about $10 cheaper than at the Ace I mentioned. Real good deal!
Rex

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sure you could make .250's out of .308's but it would be insanely laborious. Plan on multiple annealings along the way, lots of trimming, and undoubtedly neck reaming will be called for in the end. Best have a sturdy bench and heavy duty loading press because I can see you standing on the handle to make it happen.

I think if I were reduced to that I would sell my .250 rifles and take up an atlatl instead.

That's what I assumed and figured. It was a pain enough doing those 20 .308 resized to .300 Savage. With my Forester Hand Crank trimmer pure misery. After a few I cut off some of the 'too long' neck, then rotary trimmed, but still a pain. After that I did buy a Crow Brand trimmer ya chuck in a drill, but that was needed for a few other calibers anyway. Thanks for the info 'gnoahhh'-wondered if it was possible, but have no intention to do the "insane laborious" procedure. Love reloading, but hate trimming with a passion. I'll crawl over broken glass and rusty nails looking for 250/300 Savage brass before trying to resize 308's.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have 60 pieces of once fired 250 savage brass 2 boxes of Remington 1 box of Winchester. Let me know if you would want them
John

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fellas,
damnesia found his brass (maybe tinknocker's?) but David (wyo1895) wanted "whatever was left over." Well, there may be more than he wants, depending on what they have left at Ace and maybe what they might have that's not on the shelf.
Can all the folks that PM'ed me about this please follow up with how much you want (boxes of 50 Hornady and the price was in the upper 40s). I am going to drop back by that Ace tomorrow and will do the best to cover everybody.
I can get probably up to 150 in a $10 USPS small flat rate box. can put one box of 50 in said box without opening. Any quantity more than that I'll have to break open the Hornady boxes. Anybody wants me to keep more than one box sealed I'll be happy to if you want to pay to ship a bulkier package.
Of course I will not charge anything over my cost - just trying to hook up those in need.

Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make 250s out out 22-250s, tons of it out there.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter

Mike

Have read of that possibility. Always wondered if taking 22-250 brass and stretching the neck area to accept .257 diameter bullets up from .224 if any weakening of the shoulder/neck area happened resulting in thin area's. This would be opposite of resizing from .308/.300 brass I assume where extra brass is available and alot trimmed away.

300savagehunter'---Do you ever notice any problems in the shoulder/neck area with earlier than normal brass fatigue? When I did contemplate and consider it would be cheaper to resize 308 Win brass, the pain/time of doing so was outweighed by the availability of 250/300 Savage brass at the time and the fact I bought a good quantity at around $8-10 cheaper per 50 than it normally sold for. After that buy, I added some more by several outfits that had it and was a 'cheap' price for new brass.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Fellas,
damnesia found his brass (maybe tinknocker's?) but David (wyo1895) wanted "whatever was left over." Well, there may be more than he wants, depending on what they have left at Ace and maybe what they might have that's not on the shelf.
Can all the folks that PM'ed me about this please follow up with how much you want (boxes of 50 Hornady and the price was in the upper 40s). I am going to drop back by that Ace tomorrow and will do the best to cover everybody.
I can get probably up to 150 in a $10 USPS small flat rate box. can put one box of 50 in said box without opening. Any quantity more than that I'll have to break open the Hornady boxes. Anybody wants me to keep more than one box sealed I'll be happy to if you want to pay to ship a bulkier package.
Of course I will not charge anything over my cost - just trying to hook up those in need.

Rex

That's a swell service you're providing there, Rex. Unselfish helping of neighbors in need is a refreshing change to the backbiting and uncertainty of our times.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Savage94C

Mike

Have read of that possibility. Always wondered if taking 22-250 brass and stretching the neck area to accept .257 diameter bullets up from .224 if any weakening of the shoulder/neck area happened resulting in thin area's. This would be opposite of resizing from .308/.300 brass I assume where extra brass is available and alot trimmed away.

300savagehunter'---Do you ever notice any problems in the shoulder/neck area with earlier than normal brass fatigue? When I did contemplate and consider it would be cheaper to resize 308 Win brass, the pain/time of doing so was outweighed by the availability of 250/300 Savage brass at the time and the fact I bought a good quantity at around $8-10 cheaper per 50 than it normally sold for. After that buy, I added some more by several outfits that had it and was a 'cheap' price for new brass.

Any such tricks are do-able, but the key to success, as always, lies in annealing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ace Hardware? I'm lucky if our local Ace sells 1/4" dowel rods let alone ammo/brass!

A friend of a friend owns a True-Value. Its one of the better stocked gun stores in the area. Really want the .257 Roberts in a 70 Classic Featherweight he has on the shelf, but he is proud of most of his stuff....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not experienced any problem with the thinner necks. I load for the 99s and do not load hot and the brass lasts as long as regular 250 brass.

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Mike

300savagehunter---Curious!!! Do you use a special resize die for 'resizing' or just the resize die that comes with standard die sets?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I make mine from 22/250's I run a 243 expander in first. Seems to help.
Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.