Makes your hair stand up some.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Congrats on the hogs, and thanks for the great pics. That ain't West Texas though, BTW.

Kinda what I was thinking.

But, I do live hunting in that Turkey to Shamrock area though.

I love the area too, having hunted up near Clarendon several years. Also I was in no way diminishing his hunt, as he killed some nice hogs in some great country. I was only referencing his geographic challenged location. No matter what stats ribka pulls out his azzzz, Lubbock is High Plains, and Abilene is about as far East you can go and still be considered West Texas. Anything N of Midland by about 60 miles ain't West Texas, it's High Plains or Rolling Plains, Panhandle, etc. He reminds me of the Yankees that used to show up here in the Permian Basin and explain to us how to drill and produce oil wells.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Turkey TX is in the Rolling Plains region.

[Linked Image from lisalapaso.files.wordpress.com]

thanks for the input

I guess West Texas doesn't exist based on your vegetation map? The only state in the nation with no western half I guess. No south Texas, no gulf Texas and no south border Texas region either. No western Colorado, No western Oregon, western New Mexico etc. Fascinating!!

I was hunting between Lubbock and Abilene in West Texas.

Cities and towns of West Texas
Cities
Region rank City Census 2013
population estimate[6] State ranked County
1 El Paso 674,433 6 El Paso County
2 Lubbock 258,862 11 Lubbock County
3 Amarillo 196,429 14 Potter County
4 Midland 123,933 26 Midland County
5 Abilene 120,099 27 Taylor County
6 Odessa 110,720 30 Ector County
7 San Angelo 97,492 37 Tom Green County
8 Socorro 32,517 77 El Paso County
9 Big Spring 28,125 104 Howard County
10 Plainview 22,194

Technically, JG Raider is correct. That’s the way we were taught at TAMU in Wildlife & Fisheries Science.

But, being born and raised in Abilene, and Ranching in Stonewall County all my life, the Locals and old timers here have always called it “West Texas”.

My Midland friends have always objected, though, saying West Texas begins there. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For me it ain't west Texas until you cross the Pecos river but technically that is the Trans Pecos area. Some think West Texas starts inbetween Dallas & Fort worth but they are probably Yankee or from California. Anyway if you drew a line from say Del Rio to Oklahoma City then four times as many hogs would be to the east of this line than to the west. Abilene and eastwards the same thing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear 'ya chl, and agree. Even though I'm a Midland guy, I'm firmly in your camp about Abilene.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats what I was figuring on the hogster scope. Not that much range. Going pulsar for sure. A bit more money and even the mid priced IE 3500 or so are easy good to 300 yards on decent size pigs. Just makes no sense to save a bit in the end but not be able to shoot past 100 yards.

I'm glad I didn't get the HogsterR35, but went with the Super Hogster.

Got enough time behind it that I'm pretty confident I can identify and shoot anything I'm hunting out past 300 yards.

Was watching a cottontail hop around feeding at 275 yards one night, and had no trouble identifying at all. Was watching a mouse at 100 yards stealing corn last week.

I think the main issue with hunting at night is ranging. Getting a feel for range is much harder at night.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

I just need up upgrading to super Hogster. The ranging at night is a bitch on unfamiliar property. Ideally mark some landmarks, or place landmarks before dark and use range finder.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats what I was figuring on the hogster scope. Not that much range. Going pulsar for sure. A bit more money and even the mid priced IE 3500 or so are easy good to 300 yards on decent size pigs. Just makes no sense to save a bit in the end but not be able to shoot past 100 yards.

I'm glad I didn't get the HogsterR35, but went with the Super Hogster.

Got enough time behind it that I'm pretty confident I can identify and shoot anything I'm hunting out past 300 yards.

Was watching a cottontail hop around feeding at 275 yards one night, and had no trouble identifying at all. Was watching a mouse at 100 yards stealing corn last week.

I think the main issue with hunting at night is ranging. Getting a feel for range is much harder at night.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Fantastic pictures. Gotta love Texas. I plan on another trip there this summer. Axis and hogs or whatever else happens to come by!!

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the country around the Caprock there. It is unlike what many think of as the Panhandle. I've driven 86 through Turkey often to visit family and always enjoy seeing the mule deer around Turkey and Quitaque.

Regarding name, I would go with Texas Panhandle or West Texas for that region. That's what people who live there call it. Someone mentioned High Plains. If memory serves, Turkey is almost to the Llano Estacado (aka High Plains) but not quite there.

Looks like a fun hunt.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 01/23/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics and good killin there ribka. Thanks for sharin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

There use to be 5 TO 6 Million Buffalo's !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So far it doesn't look like Texas tick fever kills pigs smile

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s takes bullets or arrows to kill pigs. A cougar or coyotes might get a little one.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dirtyharry

There use to be 5 TO 6 Million Buffalo's !

That would have been a sight to see .

Good shooting Ribka - nice pics .
Texas is a great place for sure .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quite a history at Quitaque long before the white man showed up. Traders came from hundreds of miles from all directions to trade. Indians had it first figured out long before the white man screwed it up as usual. PaloDura canyon is second largest canyon in the USA. ,220-250 miles long. If you’ll get on the the backroads it takes a long time to see and it’s absolutely beautiful. I’m sure all of my Texas brothers here know that but too many native Texans never take time to appreciate and enjoy what we have. God Bless Texas

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My wife was raised early in her life around Silverton.When the family lived there on the ranch there were still Buffs there.

One of the things she did with her dad was to go patch fences when the herd came thru.

Went up in that area a lot when taking a break from deer hunting.

Just love that broken up country.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks like a great time, always wanted to go on a hog hunt. What does a couple days of hunting them cost on average in TX?

R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by plainsman456
My wife was raised early in her life around Silverton.When the family lived there on the ranch there were still Buffs there.

One of the things she did with her dad was to go patch fences when the herd came thru.

Went up in that area a lot when taking a break from deer hunting.

Just love that broken up country.

yep cool country deceiving how beautiful it can be

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Wouldn't mind if you Texas guys would send a few live pigs to PA, I'd love to have more freezer fillers,lol. Have spent hours, sometimes days, in the mountains, just to see a feathered predator or tree rat.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
Turkey, Tx. been there. miles

Me too. It's just a bit west of Hollis.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.