Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm in northwest PA and in the Allegheny National Forest. Plentiful coyotes and a 365 day season. I'm planning to buy a distress call this spring for rifle hunting. What's everyone using, and what do you think is the best call for coyotes? Thanks everyone!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Buy an open reed hand call and go make some sets. They can be had for about $20 and you can make a huge array of sounds with them.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been calling for 49 yrs. I started with a Faulk pump call, Then moved on to other mouth calls. About 25 yrs ago I ran across Big River Predator calls. They have the JC Double reed in them. These are a wood call and sounds very good and you can put a ton of emotion in the call. You can beg them to come in. I have tried to put the reeds in plastic or acrylic and they do not sound as good.

I have taken reeds out of old wooden duck calls and put the JC Double reeds in them just so I have extras. The closed reed do freeze up faster in cold weather and when a reed cracks they dont sound as good.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use open reeds by Tebbe, Carver, R&R, closed reeds by R&R and Sceery. I've got a whole drawer full and they've all called coyotes over the years these are just the ones I finder easier to work for me

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

FOXPro Hellfire.

Compact, durable, works.

You can add *free" files or purchase sounds to add to its library of calls.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Go here: https://allpredatorcalls.com/search.php?search_query=sceery+calls&search_submit=

Then order this:

https://allpredatorcalls.com/products/Sceery-Game-Calls-Cottontail-Distress-AP2.html

and this

https://allpredatorcalls.com/products/Sceery-Game-Call-Rodent-Coaxer-AP1.html

You use the cottontail call as a medium/long range call. When you blow in it, blow like somebody is sawing your durn leg off, and it hurts like the devil. Put a lot of feeling and angst into it. Note: there are two schools of thought ref initial calling. One school says to call continuously until you either see something, or you depart the stand. The second school says to call for about a minute, then stop and quietly watch, then after another minute call again for a minute, then stop and watch, until you spot something or depart the stand.

If you see something, and it's a long way off, continue with the cottontail. If you see something close, switch to the close range call. Use it only enough to keep the critter interested and heading your way.

You also might want to go onto Youtube and watch some of Randy Anderson's videos. They are both entertaining and instructive.

Last edited by DELGUE; 01/20/21.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Is there much calling done in your area? If so rabbit in distress may be overused... watch on YouTube for coyote vocalizations. If you can get them good and mad at you, you are controlling the "conversation". Mating season is almost here and they will be very territorial in the next few weeks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Can't go wrong with Kerry Carver Calls,have more of them than any other. Also have calls from Rare Earth by Rob Patrick that I like a lot too amd a squeaker out of a dog toy that does wonders sometimes. I have a foxpro hammerjack that I use more for visual attraction than sound anymore. Don't worry, after you get started you will be addicted and have a laynard of calls.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 56 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.