Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Not questioning what you have seen, but the Remington 700's have far outsold any other bolt action rifles over the past 50-60 years, so it only stands to reason that you have seen more Remington's "fail" because you have seen more Remingtons.

...or they break more often.

.... like tears in the rain
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've not used one but the Tikka T3x Arctic might be in the running.

The Ruger Scout rifle might be as well.

Any rifle with a Sako style or M16 style extractor, or Mauser type is fine for me. I have used the Tikkas in lots of late season hunts in sub zero temps and they work have never had any issues.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Same answer.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
The Remington 700 action is the one most copied by custom gun builders. That says something.

It certainly does. It says the Remington 700 is the easiest to copy!
For a rugged hunting rifle which can be disassembled and assembled in the field, without tools, and which is most likely to function as it should, the Mauser 98 is still the best. Since the OP specified a modern short action, he is willing to compromise a bit.
The Ruger 77 is a good choice. In the years I was gunsmithing, in a busy store, I saw very few come into the shop because they had a problem. Of the top four sellers, (Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Ruger) they were the least likely to come into the shop. I had one brought in which had been an Eskimo rifle, used for polar bear, walrus, seals, etc. It was rusted on every surface, the stock was beat to hell and the barrel was bulged in three places, but it still worked! I bought the action and I still use it, forty years later. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess you have to define bombproof. I've seen very few actions blown apart due to pressure but the few I have seen have all have been Winchester 70's. I'm not saying this is anything other than a coincidence.

------------------------
John
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good thread , lots of good answers. I was thinking my ss M77 mk2 boat paddle with an extra scope and rings pre zero ' d in the kit might be the tits. Unless he sold it I think hookeye has one he wants to sell. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If Kimber would do a minor re-engineer of their 84M/8400 short-mag footprint adding a 3.1" SA mag box (and of course the proper mods to bolt-stop/ejector) then add an "open-style" old-school M70 type trigger we'd be in cotton so tall it'd hide Andre the Giant.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sako 75's.....................

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ringworm: Remington 700 is the answer to your question.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have killed a pile of animals with my Ruger MK II S.S. 280. Focused solely on the spot, stalk & kill, the rifle never ever gave me pause or distracted me task at hand. It is always a point & shoot tool.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to believe there is a factory bolt gun out there tougher or more durable than a Ruger MKII stainless with boat paddle stock.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought a similar thread was done a few years ago. except w/o the SA stipulation. I think the consensus of most of the opinions based a lot on Alaska members was a Ruger 77.

Last edited by 1911a1; 01/21/21.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've had stellar luck with my R700's. I don't burn military armory level of rounds but we shoot a considerable amount most every week. I've got one old 700SA that went through 3 22-250 barrels including at least one set-back-a-thread- and-rechamber when I was mad at the pasture poodles. It still lives as a 250 savage mountain rifle clone now - thing is smooth as glass and total parts breakage is zero. I can't eve begin to estimate the number of rounds through that thing. I might be missing something but before our canoe accident we had R700's from 22-250 to 300RUM to 375 H&H.....I can remember a BDL floorplate pin falling out and that's the only failure.

Last edited by Achigan1; 01/21/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Good thread , lots of good answers. I was thinking my ss M77 mk2 boat paddle with an extra scope and rings pre zero ' d in the kit might be the tits. Unless he sold it I think hookeye has one he wants to sell. Mb

Or just a front sight and NECG rear peep.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Remington 700 or 7.

No chance. But probably the Ruger action,

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Hard to believe there is a factory bolt gun out there tougher or more durable than a Ruger MKII stainless with boat paddle stock.

This^^^^^
With Savage 110 following

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
The Remington 700 action is the one most copied by custom gun builders. That says something.

It certainly does. It says the Remington 700 is the easiest to copy!
For a rugged hunting rifle which can be disassembled and assembled in the field, without tools, and which is most likely to function as it should, the Mauser 98 is still the best. Since the OP specified a modern short action, he is willing to compromise a bit.
The Ruger 77 is a good choice. In the years I was gunsmithing, in a busy store, I saw very few come into the shop because they had a problem. Of the top four sellers, (Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Ruger) they were the least likely to come into the shop. I had one brought in which had been an Eskimo rifle, used for polar bear, walrus, seals, etc. It was rusted on every surface, the stock was beat to hell and the barrel was bulged in three places, but it still worked! I bought the action and I still use it, forty years later. GD

greydog;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the winter has been as mild in your part of the world as it's been here and all in your world who matter are healthy.

Thanks for sharing that story and your real world experience. For sure you would have seen a bunch of stuff back in the day. I still recall you were able to help me with a Sako from that era with a bum trigger, when most others said I was hallucinating.

Way back in the day I recall a Ruger advert where they'd bought a .308 back from some Australian buffalo culler or something like that. It had been documented with a huge amount of rounds and was still ticking along just fine.

As some have mentioned, the T3 Arctic is likely quite decent, but again it was partially picked because Berretta would allow it to be built here in Canada and my understanding is that Ruger wasn't interested in outsourcing to anyone, so the Scout was eliminated from the trials then and there.

Thanks again and all the best to you all 4 valleys east.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d lean towards a Ruger 77 myself but just my opinion.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Unless someone has done destructive testing, any answer anyone gives will be them talking out of their ass.

Anyone recall how many rounds Nosler put through one (N)ULA action testing their ammo and bullets?

M7

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Too much emphasis is placed on the "advantages" of SA actions.
All things being equal, you're talking about 3/8"-1/2" difference in length and 1-2 oz in weight, hardly worth fretting over in practical terms.
And as to the stiffer action argument for SA's, quantifying that will be difficult to determine, again in any practical terms.
More trigger time will trump technical minutia in most cases.

Go with the action that is most robust for your needs and if its a SA fine, but if a standard action is a better option given the parameters, pull out the wallet.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.