Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

Though I prefer simplicity, I also like "Ocham's razor" (the law of parsimony, the problem-solving principle that "entities should not be multiplied without necessity"--or more simply, the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Please note "usually"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
Just loaded some rounds. Adjusted the die as recommended. Upon seating the bullets, about 60% of the bullets were tight in the neck, the remaining bullets, while not entirely loose, could be moved sightly with finger pressure. My assumption is that the necks of the brass were not of uniform thickness. Is this a correct hypothesis? Probably would not be an issue if these cartridges were just going to the range, But using them in hunting conditions causes me pause.

Would appreciate the benefit of your experiences, thoughts, and suggestions. (If it matters: 257 Roberts, 100gr Hornady ILs, R-P brass.)

I am curious how many times your brass has been reloaded. Brass doesn't quite age (harden) at exactly the same rate. If it is the same lot of brass, with the same number of loads fired, tightening the die won't always work. It might be worsen if it is a mixed lot with different numbers of firings.

With collet dies and same lots of brass, you can set your die and not need to adjust it. If there are more than three loads on that brass, annealing is the way to go

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good question, Steve. Brass all came from the same bag. This was either the second or third loading. All but 8 firings were 46gr of IMR4350. (Tried 45, 46, and 47 gr with the new brass. Not surprisingly the rifle preferred the 46 gr load) So I would think that the brass has not been over stressed.

Oh, FWIW, the rifle is a M70 XTR FWT.

Last edited by southtexas; 01/19/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd or 3rd; that is the question. Maybe 4th?

Keep all your brass separate. I anneal after the 3rd firing. It is a simple approach that requires no extra work. It also makes trimming easier by grouping brass.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The issue outlined in this thread, where variable neck tension results from collet-neck-sizing using a die setup that previously produced consistent neck tension, is how I determine when it is time to anneal a batch of brass.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
Gentlemen: FWIW: I tried Seafire's advice and that seemed to do the trick.Still puzzled as to why some rounds were initially OK, and others needed an additional squeeze. Must be the "springiness" phenomenon.

Thanks again for all the assistance. That's why I hang around here!.

See if you can find Mathman's Lee Collet die instructions. Print it out and put it in your reloading folder. Beats the heck out of Lee instruction.

Seafire is giving you similar info.

DF

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most of my Lee neck sizing dies do fine. Especially if you squeeze, then rotate case 90 deg or so, and give it another squeeze. They have to be adjusted tight like Seafire said also. I have an ‘06 LC that required the drill and emery cloth routine.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Or you can blow the aluminum cap out the top of the die with a compound press.

Don’t ask how I know.

My learning curve damage was covered by Lee CS.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Don’t ask how I know.

DF

You adjusted the die down too far into the press. smile

I guess you found out it's best to thread the die in, raise a case into the die and resize. Then try hand seating a bullet into the case mouth. If it slides in, tighten the collet die down 1/8 of a turn, repeating until the case mouth is small enough.

When the die came out, myself and others emailed Lee about that. All we heard were crickets. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Don’t ask how I know.

DF

You adjusted the die down too far into the press. smile

I guess you found out it's best to thread the die in, raise a case into the die and resize. Then try hand seating a bullet into the case mouth. If it slides in, tighten the collet die down 1/8 of a turn, repeating until the case mouth is small enough.

When the die came out, myself and others emailed Lee about that. All we heard were crickets. laugh

Yeah, I got it figured out eventually.

I didn't have Mathman's instructions, was just man handling it. It's amazing what a big compound press can do with some muscle power.

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
All you have to do is raise up the brass and turn the die in little by little, checking with a bullet as you go. You can use calipers to set the die to a repeatable diameter, or replace the lee lock ring with a Hornady ring.

Most reloaders do not realize that there is a bit of leeway You can tighten up the neck diameter according to how much, or how little, you screw the die in. It only takes seconds to set up. Many people who pop the aluminum tops off believe that dies must be used under a lot of force. Not so. Many years ago, I posted something to the effect that you only need to use one finger to push down on the handle for most reloading operations.. Naturally, some people objected.

I wrote Lee a letter when the collet dies first came out, and laid out a short instruction set, but I never heard from them. Maybe 6 mo to a year later I sent them an email. They thanked me for my input. Nothing changed, of course.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All you have to do is raise up the brass and turn the die in little by little, checking with a bullet as you go. You can use calipers to set the die to a repeatable diameter, or replace the lee lock ring with a Hornady ring.

Most reloaders do not realize that there is a bit of leeway You can tighten up the neck diameter according to how much, or how little, you screw the die in. It only takes seconds to set up. Many people who pop the aluminum tops off believe that dies must be used under a lot of force. Not so. Many years ago, I posted something to the effect that you only need to use one finger to push down on the handle for most reloading operations.. Naturally, some people objected.

I wrote Lee a letter when the collet dies first came out, and laid out a short instruction set, but I never heard from them. Maybe 6 mo to a year later I sent them an email. They thanked me for my input. Nothing changed, of course.

I like Lee, but they could do a better job with instructions.

They need to contact Mathman, work out a deal to use his well written collet neck sizer instructions.

Their version leaves a lot to be desired.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by WAM
Most of my Lee neck sizing dies do fine. Especially if you squeeze, then rotate case 90 deg or so, and give it another squeeze. They have to be adjusted tight like Seafire said also. I have an ‘06 LC that required the drill and emery cloth routine.

What I do, works fine.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

They need to contact Mathman, work out a deal to use his well written collet neck sizer instructions.

DF

Sadly, they had the improved write up mailed and emailed to them from multiple sources. Mathman was late to the party. Lee has not changed the write up.

It's their business and their decision.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Sadly, they had the improved write up mailed and emailed to them from multiple sources. Mathman was late to the party. Lee has not changed the write up.

It's their business and their decision.

May be hard to admit you need help...

But, if you do, why not suck up your pride and take the offered help.

I still like them and their stuff.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like Lee as well. Most of their stuff is good. The collet die is one of those well designed items.

As I recall, they were the first out of the gate with the universal decapper, and still offer the cheapest one. I also like their crimp dies and case expander die. Their priming tools have suffered, but after a bad start, they improved their latest bench mounted primer. Because of the foul up with the first version, I ended up using a Lee Ram Prime more - a single feed priming tool for most single stage presses. It is an excellent value and is simple to use. For $16, it was a bargain.

I have never been a fan of their seaters, but like everyone else, we have our preferences in equipment, rifles, trucks, etc. Variety is the spice of life!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think their seaters can be hit and miss, I like Forster or Hornady seaters, sometimes pick up one if the Lee seater produces too much run out. And, that seems to depend somewhat on the round.

The highest and best use of their FL sizer may be a body die, after grinding out the neck with a Dremel. Cheaper than a Redding body die and works pretty well..

I like to get the Deluxe Lee die set with both collet neck sizer and FL sizer.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by WAM

What I do, works fine.

Same here, except that I rotate the brass 1/3rd and then 2/3rds for two extra squeezes. Does the trick for me....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,171 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.