Print Thread
Hop To
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY ALL...Is there a problem using small rifle primers in a lever action rifle chambered in 357 Magnum ? YES...NO...? Rifle in question is a UBERTI Deluxe 1873 Short Rifle 20" .357
i Have it set up for Cowboy lever action pistol cartridge silhouette matches...max range is 100 meters and we all use lightly loaded 357 loads....
What say ye learned gentlemen..?
Thanks..
Pete

Last edited by pdman; 01/18/21. Reason: spelling
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Handgun cartridges get handgun primers, even in a rifle.. Problem is getting them mixed up with ones used in handguns which may or may not work.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pdman
HEY ALL...Is there a problem using small rifle primers in a lever action rifle chambered in 357 Magnum ? YES...NO...? Rifle in question is a UBERTI Deluxe 1873 Short Rifle 20" .357
i Have it set up for Cowboy lever action pistol cartridge silhouette matches...max range is 100 meters and we all use lightly loaded 357 loads....
What say ye learned gentlemen..?
Thanks..
Pete

You are fine running small rifle primers in 357 brass in whatever platform you want to. The only issue might be if the primer cup on the small rifle primer is thicker or tougher than the pistol primers, and your firing pin spring is too weak. I don't think it is going to be an issue though, because CCI, for example, uses the exact same primers in their boxes labeled "CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer" and their boxes labeled "CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer". The exact same primers.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY ALL...thanks for all your help...I have enough small pistol regular and magnum to last for probably the rest of 2021...i found a brick of Federal #205 small rifle in my stash and was just wondering if they would be ok to use in 357...what with this drought of ammo and components...
Thanks to all again...
Pete

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=HuntnShoot
You are fine running small rifle primers in 357 brass in whatever platform you want to. The only issue might be if the primer cup on the small rifle primer is thicker or tougher than the pistol primers, and your firing pin spring is too weak. I don't think it is going to be an issue though, because CCI, for example, uses the exact same primers in their boxes labeled "CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer" and their boxes labeled "CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer". The exact same primers.[/quote]

If that is true, can one use CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers in .223 AR loads, I have loaded about 1000 .223 with CCI Small Rifle with no problems, but I am out of them now. I do have about 3000 of the CCI Small Magnum Pistol though

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/19/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

You are fine running small rifle primers in 357 brass in whatever platform you want to. The only issue might be if the primer cup on the small rifle primer is thicker or tougher than the pistol primers, and your firing pin spring is too weak. I don't think it is going to be an issue though, because CCI, for example, uses the exact same primers in their boxes labeled "CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer" and their boxes labeled "CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer". The exact same primers.

That is good to know. very informative post all round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pistol primers are softer than rifle primers and to the most part have less energy.

Remington 6 1/2 primers are some of the softest and lowest energy small rifle primers, I believe.

If you use rifle primers in a pistol cartridge there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
You probably should lower your maximum load as pressure will likely be higher.
t seems to me that I loaded some pistol ammo with rifle primers, many years ago and the rifle primers were dimensionally deeper than pistol primers - but that is a hazy memory. Quite frankly I do not remember if it was small rifle primers in a 357 or large rifle primers in a 44 Magnum. But I think it was likely the 357 as that was my first pistol - a Herters Model perfect that I mail ordered and got it shipped to the door, no FFL was needed.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
pistol primers are softer than rifle primers and to the most part have less energy.

Remington 6 1/2 primers are some of the softest and lowest energy small rifle primers, I believe.

If you use rifle primers in a pistol cartridge there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
You probably should lower your maximum load as pressure will likely be higher.
t seems to me that I loaded some pistol ammo with rifle primers, many years ago and the rifle primers were dimensionally deeper than pistol primers - but that is a hazy memory. Quite frankly I do not remember if it was small rifle primers in a 357 or large rifle primers in a 44 Magnum. But I think it was likely the 357 as that was my first pistol - a Herters Model perfect that I mail ordered and got it shipped to the door, no FFL was needed.

The question was Small Magnum Pistol primers,not std small pistol primers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they will fit firmly in the primer pocket, you can use them. No, that's not what any of the loading manuals will say, but I've never heard of anyone hurting themselves or their firearm using the "wrong" primer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SS, i have used small pistol mag primers in my 223 and 300 bo rounds for practice. One of my most accurate 223 loads out of a sav 10 was with pistol primers. Had a 72% one shot kill ratio on ground squirrels at 425 yards. Sold that rifle like the idiot i am!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker
SS, i have used small pistol mag primers in my 223 and 300 bo rounds for practice. One of my most accurate 223 loads out of a sav 10 was with pistol primers. Had a 72% one shot kill ratio on ground squirrels at 425 yards. Sold that rifle like the idiot i am!

Thanks Deerstalker.I have about 3000 of them and no other use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Thanks Deerstalker.I have about 3000 of them and no other use.

Money in the bank today😁!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There was a video on youtube I will see if I can find it.
I would still be cautious and load up but the result was that there was basically no difference.

From what I remember reading years back the heat and amount of flame produced differed between primer types and primer makers, which was related to the amount of powder each type was supposed to ignite. But I don't think more flame in less powder is going to make a difference.

FOUND IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k

Last edited by Spring1898; 02/03/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.