Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15658475 01/15/21
grovey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know nothing about ML'ers. Are the Remington 700 ML'ers a good choice for an inline? Bang for your buck which CHEAPER used inline would YOU buy based on your experience?

Last edited by grovey; 01/15/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Thompson Center that I have used for years. Not near as heavy as the Remington, but mine shoots great. The one that I have is a "woods rifle", and I think the same as a Black Diamond, but marketed through Walmart a long time ago. I know nothing about the later models of Thompson center inlines, but the earlier ones were good. This model will hold 150 grains of black powder, but I am not trying to make a long range rifle out of ML, so I do not load that heavy. I use 100 gr. of Pyrodex, and a musket cap, and have never had an ignition problem. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Define "cheaper". Remington 700MLs are good IF you change out the ignition to the Badger Ridge/Hunter bolt kit. Same with the Ruger 77ML. If I were looking for a good used inline now, I would search out a T/C Omega. Simple to maintain and operate, they work with all powders without modifications. I've seen nice ones in the under $300 area.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

grovey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang... Cheap wouldn't be having to make a $200 alteration to make it work well. I'll look over the T/C's you guys mentioned. Thx

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two friends and myself shoot the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. All of us switched to the Arrowhead breech plug. This system uses a Fed 215 primer and allows us to use Blackhorn 209 powder. All rifles got Timney triggers too.

We got tired of using sabots and moved to the 50 cal 300 gr Thor hammer or lightning bullets which have accounted for a cow and bull elk to date.

Now that Fury has the universal fit 50 cal 320 gr will be trying them soon.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Impact seems to work well and is reasonable, about $300 for SS or WS, whatever it is. Good trigger on the one I bought for my son, and very light.

Omegas are very popular. Have no idea why they stopped making them.

I have a TC Strike that I decided to sell when I bought my new Knight. No takers, so I brought it home. After giving it a once-over, I’m kinda glad no one bought it. It’s a very good design, with a couple of minor quirks. Pretty sure TC bought the design from the original company so they could kill it.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The Impact seems to work well and is reasonable, about $300 for SS or WS, whatever it is. Good trigger on the one I bought for my son, and very light.

Omegas are very popular. Have no idea why they stopped making them.

I have a TC Strike that I decided to sell when I bought my new Knight. No takers, so I brought it home. After giving it a once-over, I’m kinda glad no one bought it. It’s a very good design, with a couple of minor quirks. Pretty sure TC bought the design from the original company so they could kill it.

They dont offer the Impact in SS. Its just a coating like all the rest of the TC muzzleloaders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WeatherShield, right? No idea what it really is. Still, it was a handy little cannon, and the sights lined right up, unlike the sights on the Strike which were impossible with the stock comb they have. This was for a CO elk hunt, iron sights only.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well if you want the ultimate muzzle loader:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/889521724

Seems like a pretty good deal ... for the seller! crazy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You cannot go wrong with a 50 caliber CVA Optima. Accuracy at 150 yards is typically a 2.5 inch group shooting 295 grain Power Belts. Recoil is negligible.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Used a 700 muzzleloader for years . Great guns . Mine is a tack driver. No need to change out the ignition system. I still use #11 caps .keep it clean , like any muzzleloader and you'll be fine . The bolt tends to get dirty , other than that they're good to go .👍

Chris

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sherwood
You cannot go wrong with a 50 caliber CVA Optima. Accuracy at 150 yards is typically a 2.5 inch group shooting 295 grain Power Belts. Recoil is negligible.

Sherwood

+1 they are exceptional for the money

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The break action MLs are a lot easier to clean than the bolt action guns. I've got a couple Austin & Halleck bolt action MLs and have had a Remington 700 ML, all three were harder to clean than the Optima and Wolf break action MLs from CVA that I've played with.

I've got an unfired Wolf that I'd sell for $125 plus whatever the actual shipping fees would be. I took it in trade and don't have the original box, box fillers, or tools that came with it, but it would be a cheap way to get started.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad to say, I’ve found that to be true. Since our season is only a week, I can live with the Knight Ultra Lite considering its other virtues. For futzing around, the Strike is easy to clean, just unwind the breech collar and pop out the plug with the ramrod. Push everything out the front. Easy access to the primer too. Only paid $250 for mine. Needs a scope with a lot of ER, or extension rings.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been using 700 ML for years. Bought one when they first came out. The originals had issues. Had a slam fire ignition system that blows gases into the trigger and into the bolt. Carbon steel firing spring and pin that would stick if you didn't clean meticulously. I have a badger ridge breech plug now and stainless firing assembly. Shoot blackhorn and Barnes expanders. It has always been accurate with FFG, cleanshot, pyrodex. But now it is accurate and.reliable. I have killed a pile of deer with mine.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Look at the Knight website and check out the $200 Vision break action muzzleloader.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two of original 700 ML's. My first was 54 cal and it has been my primary ML for years. No isuues, only change was from number 11 to 209 conversion. Never a misfire. The second was a 50 cal with a rusted barrel. It was bought for 50 bucks and rebored to from 50 cal to 54. It shoots very well and is my back up to the to the first gun. my only real issue with the two guns is I do not like to Tupperware stocks they put on the those guns. But I have never tried to change one out for something else.I never really found an realistic option that would not require a ton of cobbling on to get it to work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Boyds makes stocks for the Remington 700ML

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 54 TC and a new model 50 cal. Remington.

I've hunted a lot with the 54 and it works fine. I bought the 50 for an elk hunt that didn't materialize. The elk hunt the shots were expected to be up to 300 yards. I didn't trust the 54 at that range. If I were to buy one for shooting deer at my normal deer shooting distance, the 54 would be my choice due mainly to the price. But also, I shoot round ball and cast in the 54 and I buy more expensive sabot bullets and more expensive "powder" for the 50.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'd be way ahead of the game with a CVA Accura or Optima for the trigger alone.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.