Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
These are usually the same people who recommend buckshot for bear defense. Or even better, alternating foster slugs with buckshot for bear defense. Classic.

I’ve heard this one a lot what’s your thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just as Davy Crockett did, I grin em down !

And if that doesnt work I still have my 9mm

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lgraham
Know a few guys who have stopped bear charges with a game load of light birdshot (both 20 and 12 ga.). May not be the best choice in the world but it worked. Point being the best bear defense gun is the one you have in your hands when things take a turn for the worse. Anything in your hands is better than nothing when you need it.

This is more of a question than an observation: In my one experience, the only bear I’ve seen that heard a gunshot and wasn’t hit, ran the other way. This also is true of every video or writing on the matter I can recall. And I’m talking about a bear on the ground some, if even short, distance away—meaning not already on top of you. But I may be missing something.

Is that incorrect? Phil and others, what is your experience? Do bears ever charge toward the sound of a firearm that has been discharged in their direction whether or not they were hit by the projectile?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MGunns
These are usually the same people who recommend buckshot for bear defense. Or even better, alternating foster slugs with buckshot for bear defense. Classic.

The only shotgun round I would trust on brown bears is a magnum Brenneke. Better yet is something mid-large caliber at a middling velocity with a bullet that digs deep. Bears killed in defense generally have to be shot very quickly at less than ideal angles. I think there's a huge difference between hunting brown bears and defense against them. For just hunting them, I could be comfortable using a .308 and a premium 150gr bullet-broadside through the lungs with a calm animal, they'll die just fine. For wading into the brush after them I like something bigger, like a 9.3x62, .375, or a .416. A .458 would be fine, but I can't shoot those fast enough for my liking.

Brown bears are like people in that each one is an individual, with it's own reactions to different stimuli. I find that if you're within a certain distance (say 50 yards) and surprise one suddenly, you'll get a fight or flight response from them. Just the same as individual humans would react differently to walking into their living room, flipping the light on, and there's a burglar there. Some of us would run, and some of us would immediately fight. One time I a was jump shooting ducks and made a shot on a flushing mallard. A bear immediately ran up towards me from a side channel about 35 yards away. I did alot of yelling and he veered off, crapping as he went. That bear had no clue I was there until the shot and then reacted aggressively to what scared him.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MGunns

The only shotgun round I would trust on brown bears is a magnum Brenneke. Better yet is something mid-large caliber at a middling velocity with a bullet that digs deep. Bears killed in defense generally have to be shot very quickly at less than ideal angles. I think there's a huge difference between hunting brown bears and defense against them. For just hunting them, I could be comfortable using a .308 and a premium 150gr bullet-broadside through the lungs with a calm animal, they'll die just fine. For wading into the brush after them I like something bigger, like a 9.3x62, .375, or a .416. A .458 would be fine, but I can't shoot those fast enough for my liking.

Brown bears are like people in that each one is an individual, with it's own reactions to different stimuli. I find that if you're within a certain distance (say 50 yards) and surprise one suddenly, you'll get a fight or flight response from them. Just the same as individual humans would react differently to walking into their living room, flipping the light on, and there's a burglar there. Some of us would run, and some of us would immediately fight. One time I a was jump shooting ducks and made a shot on a flushing mallard. A bear immediately ran up towards me from a side channel about 35 yards away. I did alot of yelling and he veered off, crapping as he went. That bear had no clue I was there until the shot and then reacted aggressively to what scared him.

Wow. I’d be the one crapping! Thanks for the insight

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even belong in this conversation, but I'll say that I learned that there are .357 Magnums and .357 Magnums on Buffalo Bore with the 180 grain. Cheerist, that turned my Model 66 into a different animal.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.