Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by longarm
Thanks ryoushi, we are heading out in the morning for ducks.
Glad yours recovered too.

How'd you do? I've hunted the valley quite a bit but never really figured those birds out.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would trout carry this?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
JimHnSTL,
Any anadromous fish in the NW.

ryoushi,
Mallards and woodies tucked up in their hidey-holes. It's all jump shooting now, hardly see any flying at all. I watch the river level compulsively this time of year and know where the little flooded spots are that they like. No decoys and more sneaking around.. my favorite kind of duck hunting
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple heelers and wouldn't think about feeding them raw salmon. Yea, I know mushers feed salmon to their dogs. Anyway, many years ago (probably 30 or 40), I brought home a bunch of salmon and filleted and packed them up in the kitchen for freezing. Buddies and I were having a few beers during the process and I didn't feel like taking much time with the skin, bones and other sh*t. I threw the garbage bags with the salmon remnants out next to garbage barrel. The next morning I went out to take care of the garbage bags and there was small sh*t piles all over the floor of my boat. One hell of a mess. The squirrels had fed on the salmon revenants, got sick and puked that sh*t all over the floor of my boat. My fault so I'm not blaming the squirrels. Never found a dead squirrel but I know it didn't sit well with them. I think they probably crawled off and died. I suppose I would have. Nope, no raw salmon for my dogs. JMHO

Last edited by DouginAlaska; 01/22/21.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wow, I never heard of salmon poisoning. Just saw this post now... after feeding my dog some salmon tonight. Thankfully it seems like it shouldn’t be an issue as it was cooked and leftover from my 3 year olds plate of dinner.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's not the salmon per se, it's a microscopic 'fluke' that is hosted in a freshwater snail in the PNW. Any anadromous fish can host the fluke, and the bacteria in the fluke, and dogs being dogs, an otter carcass, or fish duck, or heron poop, can infect your dog. Watch for distemper type symptoms with diarrhea...get the dog to the vet or get some ringers lactate and a needle from vet supply...quick. Dehydration...It is more often than not fatal.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.