Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of of leveling ramps? They look good in theory. I'm tired of using 2x6's. My pickup has a stick shift which might make it slightly more difficult to get it just right.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Rock, I've never seen those before - but I'll make a circle through the park and see if any are in use. And keep an eye open.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have and use those ramps. In an RV park on asphalt they work OK, I have a rubber hammer that I use to drive them tight against the tire because they will want to slide back as you are trying to back up on them. The rubber mat is worthless. In the mountains I have used them, but I have a 2x12 that is 8' that I back onto first then use those to level from there. Sometimes I only need one to level or both if I have to do some serious leveling. I have heard that people have broken them in two, but I am not sure how because they are pretty stout.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of of leveling ramps? They look good in theory. I'm tired of using 2x6's. My pickup has a stick shift which might make it slightly more difficult to get it just right.

They look like a good way to get hurt. The idea with blocks is to level and stabilize the RV, not make it less stable. Park on a hill and wonder what will happen.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 brothers in law who use them with their campers. Maybe not that brand but something similar. They have used them for several years.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Actually MM879 when you get them leveled they are more stable than boards and I am very anal about leveling because I have a wife that runs the level when I am done. She starts at the front bedroom and checks level all the way back to the garage making sure the entire trailer is level. I have given up trying to explain to her that if the front is level so is the back unless I really screwed up and twisted the frame.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
You (& the online reviews) sold me. I just ordered a 2-pack and will give them a test run when we head for Lake Mead next month. If slipping is an issue I'll use BluMtn's approach and put my 2x8 down first.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use them on the car hauler/camper. They work as advertised for me. They only give 4" or so rise so carrying few 2x8 boards are recommended it you need more than 4".

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There are several brands of them out there. All are rated at FAR more than our TT weighs. They're supposed to work with large 5th wheels and motor homes.
We'll camp on dirt or gravel 95% of the time. I can count the times we've camped on pavement on one foot. Reviews are very good and seldom say they slip but there's no way of knowing how many of those are on pavement or dirt. Of course many of the 5 star reviews are worthless stuff like 'We haven't used them yet but they came in a very nice box'.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

They work great.....zero issues.

I've used them on asphalt, gravel, and dirt.

East to back onto as the kids watch the bubble levels.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

They look like a good way to get hurt. The idea with blocks is to level and stabilize the RV, not make it less stable. Park on a hill and wonder what will happen.
I fail to see how they'd make a trailer less stable than a stack of boards. They cup the tires so they can't roll either direction, like having 4 chocks on tandem axles, they're wider than the tires, and rated to carry a lot of weight.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

They are very stable...the wedge locks them together.

Chock the wheels on the opposite side, and you're GTG. I've parked on some pretty uneven ground and never had a concern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit caring about being dead level so long as I'm close.
Doesn't effect anything but my range top so I made a leveling system for that.

When boondocking it's way too easy to lower a tire or two by shoveling a few inches of ground on the high side and pile it on the low side.
3 or 4 inches of leveling can be done in moments if the ground is accommodating enough.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
I quit caring about being dead level so long as I'm close.
Doesn't effect anything but my range top so I made a leveling system for that.

When boondocking it's way too easy to lower a tire or two by shoveling a few inches of ground on the high side and pile it on the low side.
3 or 4 inches of leveling can be done in moments if the ground is accommodating enough.
I've done that many times. Rocks are often an issue, though.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I spent my $$ on leveling jacks mounted permanently on the camper. A few turns of the handles & I’m done. Makes it a 3-point stability.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I use 2x6s on my trailer. But the SIL has the plastic wedges. Either will get the RV close. Final leveling is done with jacks.

I carry four Chevy pickup scissor jacks in my trailer. SIL has electric over hydraulic.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I spent my $$ on leveling jacks mounted permanently on the camper. A few turns of the handles & I’m done. Makes it a 3-point stability.

Most of the trailers you buy now unless special ordered come with "stabilizer jacks" not leveling jacks. A friend learned that the expensive way when we were in the mountains and he tried to level his new trailer with those stabilizing jacks and folded them under. I like the auto leveling jacks on the new fifthwheel trailers, except we have camped in some places that there is not enough travel on those jacks to level the trailer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 5th wheel and use those levelers. They work well. I still carry 2x6 boards but have rarely had to use them. They are worth it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using a similar set up for a couple years. This style of blocks and the X Chocks really cut down on set up time.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The jacks on mine are rated at 7,000lb. That means they'll HOLD 7000, not lift it. I tried to get the lifting weight from the manufacturer and they wouldn't tell me.
Instead of the handle that came with them, I use an 18v Milwaukee drill with a 3/4" socket. It runs them up and down really fast.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.