Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I want a 6.8 Western in a M 70 Featherweight.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by WAM
The only thing I have a gripe about the CM is that some folks act like it’s the Second Coming.

I agree with that. Those people and the haters are equally annoying and neither make sense. The flat bill don’t tread on me type don’t even really understand what makes the chambering good.....bro(grin). Then the haters just want to jump up and down talking about 6.5x55 260’s and the like saying it isn’t anything new and the others can do the same thing. Yes we all know when twisted and loaded the same they are. Yes most of us handload but not everyone does.

The creedmoor(22,24, or 6.5)is not the miracle cases some make them out to be but far from the foolish unnecessary chamberings others like to go on about.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by WAM
The only thing I have a gripe about the CM is that some folks act like it’s the Second Coming.

I agree with that. Those people and the haters are equally annoying and neither make sense. The flat bill don’t tread on me type don’t even really understand what makes the chambering good.....bro(grin). Then the haters just want to jump up and down talking about 6.5x55 260’s and the like saying it isn’t anything new and the others can do the same thing. Yes we all know when twisted and loaded the same they are. Yes most of us handload but not everyone does.

The creedmoor(22,24, or 6.5)is not the miracle cases some make them out to be but far from the foolish unnecessary chamberings others like to go on about.

If I were 20 years younger, I’d probably try the CM, 6.5 PRC, or 6.8 Western. But with limited years left to big game hunt, I’ll stay with what I have until I roll back to just using my .257 Roberts and 7x57. After my last Rocky Mountain elk hunt rolls around, all the big Weatherby guns will go down the road. Happy Trails

Last edited by WAM; 01/22/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I want a 6.8 Western in a M 70 Featherweight.

I want a 6mm CM in a M70 Fwt Stainless, with appropriate twist of course.

The 6.8 Western confuses me, Will there be 130 and 150 grain loads, or just the LR VLD heavies ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Just my SWAG, but I think it will be loaded with the heavies. The other .270's are loaded with the 130-150 grain bullets so why duplicate that.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine too, I think if I had a 6.8 Western, I’d be inclined to run a 270 WSM reamer in .080” , to accommodate those 270 WSM loads, and also do whatever magazine mods are necessary.

I’d rather load my own for LR, maybe neck down the 6.8 brass to 257 ?

Best of both worlds

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I would load my own and just use the heavies in it.

As soon as brass is available it will necked up and down to whatever caliber the person so desires.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This is all just cold weather rumination for me. Ain’t buying either, or maybe any more at all. I am doing some optics uogrades on what I’ve got. That’s fun too.

I understand completely. I don't know how many times I've said I don't need another rifle, and here I am again. I know the 6.5 CM is frowned upon here, but this last C-A Mesa I bought has come as close as doing everything in a lightweight, low recoil and accurate rifle as anything I have ever bought. I may not buy anymore either, need to use what I have now more .

The 6.5 CM isn’t frowned upon here. It’s just the old people who rant the most make it seem that way. Most here understand it’s merits even if we don’t own one. I have a 1-8” 260 so I don’t have one at this time. I have recommended them to tons of family and friends because of the good design in a short action the properly twisted factory rifles and when ammo was available good quality ammunition at a decent price.

So don’t let a few loud mouths make you think the creedmoor chamberings are frowned upon here. Many like them but don’t feel the need to draw so much attention.

I started to do some reloading for the 6.5 CM this morning. To be honest, I'm having a hard time beating Hornady Gunner ammo with my reloads when I first started.I have gotten several 3 shot 3/8" groups at 150's with the Gunner ammo during barrel break-in. My rifle doesn't like to loaded on the faster end apparently. I checked the published fps on the Gunner ammo and slowed my reloads down below 2700 fps with 139 Scenars and that seems to be the sweet spot. Guess if I need faster, that's why they make the 6.5 PRC. Kind of amazing how Hornady finds the sweet spot in production ammo that works so well in so many different rifles. I'm no expert at reloading, just plugging along at this time. For what it's worth to anybody, I'm getting extreme spread fps deviation in the mid single digit numbers with Vihtavuori N555. I'm not above using any load data anybody has had luck with if anyone has any they don't care to share.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a big 270 fan and have owned 6.8SPC, 270 Win, and 270 WSM. All that is left are the plain old 270WCF's.

I have seriously considered a Weatherby, love the idea of the SIG Fury, but not the case.

My current "LR" 270 is shooting 145gr Hornady ELD-X's much better than I can shoot at 3000fps 1:10 twist.
My goto hunting rifle is a Model 70 FWT action sitting in and edge stock chambered for 270WCF.

so.. on to the 6.8 Western. I love the idea, truly modernizing an old round. Just like the Creedmoor case has done.

Will I get one? Probably not, as the old 270 WCF has done everything I have asked for 40 years. If I were starting over, I would seriously consider.

Arcus Venator
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I think the 170 grain does a little better than the wsm
out past 600. I’m not sure all weights it would commonly shoot beat the wsm. Another new cartridge with overlap performance where differences are negligible. But hey they got to sell things.
Besides short beefy cartridges with steep shoulder angles,burn less powder(efficiency), shoot high BC heavy for caliber bullets,with low twist rates; are all the rage.

Last edited by Vinootz; 01/23/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is all just cold weather rumination for me. Ain’t buying either, or maybe any more at all. I am doing some optics upgrades on what I’ve got. That’s fun too.

This is where I'm at in my life cycle. I have 3 new scopes still in the boxes, except don't feel it is prudent to remove existing zeroed scopes from my rifles until the ammo shortage loosens up, like a kid waiting for Christmas.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got my first 270 win recently. I will never use a 270 of any sort to shoot any game at 1000+yds so the advantage in winddrift handling long stable missles is wasted on me. Besides, if you need to really reach longer that business should be done with far more mass and weight and startsbwith big 338 brethern.

Locally 270 win ammo is still available. Also, rifle chambered for the old standard length cartridges that archaic in design tend to feed nice and slick. Ballistic abilities may be fine and all but my first priority is reliability of feeding and extraction and its why i chose an old 270 win in an controlled feed rifle. Personally, i dont need any new cartridges but what i need are things like optics upgrades and components and consumables. Those are the real places to spend money, time, and attention. So Winchester wont be seeing any funds from me towards 6.8 Western, ill invest in myself and what i already own

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
270 is more better

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe the creation and manufacturing of 6.8 Western is what has the ammo and firearm industry struggling to keep shelves stocked.

NOT

😎😂

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Just got an email ad from Winchester on this new cartridge. It doesn't say much about it, but if any writer has info, what is different about it compared to the .270 WSM?

Spomer ‘splains why, but many won’t listen:

If Spomer had a man bun, it would be a success. He can’t even remember his lines. I really enjoyed his hunting shows though.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
sound like a good combination. But I am not going to change. I'll keep my old standard 270s. I never have asked any of them to do anything for me that they didn't do well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To me, this is just another cartridge that will never get off the ground and just muddy the water. One thing that never gets discussed much, is the ridiculous cost of the ammo and components for these new cartridges. It is shocking what one, 20-round box of ammo, or brass, costs for any of these newer set-the-world-on-fire-cure-all cartridges. I guess if you have unlimited money and want to play, then go for it.

I will sit and watch and keep shooting my standards.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.