Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have an old Savage 29b passed down from my father. It all seems ok, but my dad lost the breech assembly. I have located the sale of a Western Field 22 Pump SB80A 22LR bunch of parts that includes a breech assembly. In my research I have seen many different named guns for this same Savage 29b sold through different stores. I am wondering if I buy the Western Field, will it marry into my savage 29b.

I love the look and feel of the gun and would like to restore it to plink with my son.

I saw a old thread from GeneB. I thought he may know the answer. Thank you in advance, sir.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the Savage Board HalC. If anyone can help you get that 29b running again its Gene.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
HalC,

I can't send you a PM, probably because you are a new member.

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about Savage 29s. Several years ago I bought a 3 gun lot at an auction. (I bought it because one of the guns was a pre-war R in virtually mint condition, .250-3000.) One of the others is a Model 29 (no suffix), serial number 128221. The serial number is followed by a superscript L. It is pretty much a parts gun - no buttstock or forearm and is missing the rear sight elevator. It is also missing the screw or pin that secures the magazine to the bottom of the barrel. Other than that I think it is all there, but whether it all works or not I don't know.

At the time I offered it to GeneB, but he wasn't interested - for reasons not related to the gun itself. I don't know whether this 29 breech block will work in a 29B. Hopefully Gene can chime in. I have no use for this gun. If you can use it, I would send it to you for the cost of shipping. (Since it includes the frame, it would have to go to an FFL. Frankly, I'm not crazy about selling just the breech block. I'd rather get rid of the whole gun.)

P.S. I can see how your father lost the breech block. I took down the gun while writing this, and the breech block just fell out of the receiver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hal, The Westernfield SB80A is a version of the Savage 29-A and will have the same bolt design as the Savage 29B but is a much earlier gun. I have swapped a few bolts and never had any problems, until now, I have an extra bolt that I thought I would try, it was made slightly different than the ones from three guns I had handy and it would not fit in any of them... so now I don't know what to tell you. The parts lists show them to all be the same and bolts in the three guns all interchanged with one being a little tighter in the other two. The guns were two were mid to late production 29-A's and a 1957 date code 29-B. I did not fire any of them or run rounds through to see if there was any issues with head space. The bolt that didn't fit looked like it was not going far enough ahead so I removed the extractors and cartridge catch so nothing was sticking out the front of it and then it would close. I'll started putting the parts back in and try to see which is the problem.

Gene
H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Jaaack, I'm new to the forum set up, so I might not be able to make this happen. I will try to attach a photo of the gun I have. Maybe GeneB might be able to understand the serial number you have to determine if it would work with my gun. Thank you for the offer. I love these guns. I would definitely be interested in yours, if the breech bolt works great. If not, I would like to have another to work on. I put my email in my profile, it is not visible now. I'm not sure of forum etiquette and not sure if I should put it on here. Let me know how the best way to communicate. Thanks again, HalC

IC B2

H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Steve99, GeneB got right back with me to help. Great guy I can tell. Him willing to share his knowledge is such a blessing. Thanks for the welcome! HalC

H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Jaaack, Didn't find the editor till I had sent the reply. Here is the picture

Attached Images
2021-01-18 19.01.33.jpg (21.13 KB, 135 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your gun's also missing the lifter, lifter spring and attaching screw. The parts you need should all interchange for 29-A's & 29-B's, that bolt I have seems to be a rare occurrence and looks like it will work with some fitting or swapping of the extractors.

The bolts for the later guns have a round boss on the bottom front the will vary in length, but (most) earlier bolts without it will fit.

The odd bolt also has a K stamped on it, that was always the letter added for house brand guns, don't know if that's what it means or not, I never noticed that before, I'll have to pull some house brands out.

I grabbed parts from the 29-b & 29-A by mistake and found the receiver parts are not a good fit, you can see a gap in the bottom front, the 29-B rear will not go all the way into the 29-A, the interference is at the top rear before the bottom front get close.

Attached Images
Savage 29A & 29B breech blocks 001.jpg (41.88 KB, 121 downloads)
Savage 29A & 29B breech blocks 002.jpg (57.02 KB, 122 downloads)
Savage 29A & 29B breech blocks 004s.JPG (74.94 KB, 122 downloads)
Savage 29A & 29B breech blocks 005.jpg (33.27 KB, 122 downloads)
Savage 29A & 29B breech blocks 006.jpg (26.87 KB, 121 downloads)

Gene
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hal,

Based on the photo you posted and the photos Gene just posted there are significant differences in my Model 29 and the 29A & 29B. The bolts are constructed differently, so I'm sure mine won't work in your rifle.

As far as I know there is no problem with posting your email address if you want to. Others, who have products to sell, have a URL or email address at the bottom of their posts. If you are interested in my Model 29 I am sure we can work something out.

H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
GeneB, Thank you for your reply and the email reply last night. I looked at the barrel it has rust and pits around that area. I'm not sure the best way to clean it without damaging the stamped info. Jaaack responded he may have one also, he listed his serial number. Is that info helpful to retrieve his model number? I am interested in his parts to possibly put another gun together in the future. I appreciate your knowledge and offer to help. I said before, I really love these little guns, I would love to have several to plink around with. My father passed right before Thanksgiving and left some farmland to the family. I would love to have a bunch of friends up with there kids and have some friendly shooting competition and fellowship!! I have several semi-auto 22's, but just like these pumps. I know its a good entry for kids to learn but its a blast for us older kids as well!!

IC B3

H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
GeneB, Thanks for the pictures. The "house brand" you are talking about - is that the rifles made for stores with there own brand. ie.. Western Auto and I have heard of a couple of more. Do you sell any of the parts you have? I put some oil on the part I could see some writing. I still couldn't see anything lower on the barrel.

Attached Images
2020-03-28 07.08.48.jpg (18.89 KB, 111 downloads)
2020-03-28 07.46.33.jpg (24 KB, 112 downloads)
2020-03-30 14.24.45.jpg (13.24 KB, 112 downloads)
H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Jaaack, My email address is crowsonconstructiongmail.com . Could you send me some pictures of what you have?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may have a stripped 29 bolt that is new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello all, I am also new to this forum. Just joined in a effort to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with an early model 29 serial #7479. Side is etched "Premier Trail Blazer" It's a "first" type with the solid one-piece lifter... (Learned from research this past week)

History: I just acquired this pump 22 this past week along with a single shot Crackshot (no serial number). Anyway the Crackshot shoots great but would love to find a replacement extractor as the one in it is worn out but that's a different matter. I would love to get this 29 operational for my grandson's first gun within the next year.

I am looking for a replacement firing pin and the screw that holds the magazine tube to the barrel.

In addition, this little guy will not feed properly. It feeds a round up the feeding ramp/lifter and into the two side extractors on the bolt and loads just fine. It extracts and ejects but does not fire.

The firing pin barely strikes the outside of the rim but not high enough to ignite the priming compound. Bolt is very warn and looks possibly homemade.

The other problem is if I put more that one round in the mag tube the tip of the first round catches on the back of the second round not allowing it to flip up and load into the chamber & the 3rd round gets pushed in as well causing a hell of a traffic jam!

I am not a gunsmith at all BUT is the lifter also what is supposed to stop the next round from entering the breach until cycled through???

If so, is the bottom of the firing pin what "triggers" the lifter, after the 1st round is fed up into the bolt head, to remain downward just enough to stop the 2nd round from trying to double feed??

I'm thinking that this firing pin is not wide/deep enough to trigger the lifter properly.

Thanks in advance!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MPat, welcome to the forum. You really should have started a new thread since your asking about a different gun and a different problem, changing the subject in an existing thread is not good practice, your Trailblazer's action is very different from the 29-B and your problems are different.

Without pictures I will just be guessing about some of this. I am quite sure the failure to stop multiple rounds from feeding is becasue the cartridge stop is missing. It's a 3/16" diameter ball bearing the sits in a hole under the slide arm and is moved by a relief in the under side of the arm. The gun was probably disassembled by someone not knowing it was there and it fell out & just rolled away. This size ball bearing is a standard for bicycles and one can be had for a few cents at a bike shop (Numrich has them for a couple dollars plus shipping).

The problem of it not firing could be something major. The locking surfaces can get damaged in these from shooting Hi-Speed cartridges (which most modern cartridges are). When that happens it blocks the front of the bolt rising to full locked position which reduces the locking area and cause more damage. This also can stop the slide from going froward enough to lock the action. Just guessing, but it sounds like this might be the problem and someone did some modifications to allow the slide arm to move forward with out the bolt being in fully closed position, this would leave the firing pin low. Pictured is one where this is just starting, the extra head space in it now will allow the bolt to 'hammer' the surfaces harder and rapidly cause more damage.

I have also seen bolts with the top of the locking lugs ground down by someone thinking that is the reason the bolt did not rise high enough, that reduces the locking surfaces and makes the bolt unusable. The distorted metal hits behind the lugs.

Attached Images
Savage 29 locking & breech block.jpg (29.32 KB, 59 downloads)

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello Gene and thanks for the information. I apologise for the bad etiquette and will start a new thread soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
HalC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Tal35,

Sorry I missed your reply. I think Gene has the breech bolt that I need, although I am going to be short several other parts. Do you have other 29b parts?

Thanks,

Hal

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

223 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 25 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.