Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This has prolly been covered before.

LGS is getting slim. Normal times they have *almost* anything you want in regards to reloading.

Only 6.5mm bullets they have left are Berger 140 vld targets and the hybrid OTM.

Either of these suitable for hunting. Deer. Pigs. ?

Will be for 6.5prc.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The target actually has a thicker jacket than the hunting VLD, this seems counter intuitive. Berger recommends them for higher velocity rifles, the target bullets are what started the whole hunting bullet line up. Me I am going with Scenars when I can get them as I shoot a lot of game under 300 yards and at closer ranges the Bergers are more frangible than I like. The target version may actually work better at typical ranges. There might be a slightly greater chance of "penciling through" but I would guess only at very long range or if the nose gets plugged up. But the Bergers expand by the tip imploding so may not be a factor to be concerned with.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, pigs and deer will die.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes the Berger bullets will work just fine for you

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

LGS is getting slim. Normal times they have *almost* anything you want in regards to reloading.

Only 6.5mm bullets they have left are Berger 140 vld targets and the hybrid OTM.

Will be for 6.5prc.

Grab the Hybrids and go forth and slay the four-footed both near and far. Amen.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by DBoston
The target actually has a thicker jacket than the hunting VLD, this seems counter intuitive. Berger recommends them for higher velocity rifles, the target bullets are what started the whole hunting bullet line up. Me I am going with Scenars when I can get them as I shoot a lot of game under 300 yards and at closer ranges the Bergers are more frangible than I like. The target version may actually work better at typical ranges. There might be a slightly greater chance of "penciling through" but I would guess only at very long range or if the nose gets plugged up. But the Bergers expand by the tip imploding so may not be a factor to be concerned with.

The current hunting VLD bullets are the original design. The current target VLD with a thicker jacket came later. Once the thicker jacketed bullets were introduced, they labeled the original thinner jacketed VLD as “hunting”

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Loading the 140 hybrid target VLD in my dad’s 6.5-284 and he has had no problems with antelope oryx deer or pigs including some big bodied Canadian whitetail and big bodied New Mexico bull oryx but he is picky with his shots and waits for a broadside angle

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i used a 6.5 140 grain VLD Berger target bullet in my 256 Newton worked just fine to kill a deer and in my 6.5 AR-10 bolt Ruger precision rifle same bullet shoots 1/2 inch or less all day long at the gun range at 100 yards - 5 shot groups. i feel its a great bullet but finding them now might be hard too ? good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Others views may vary but I shot a few deer on a depredation hunt last year with .243 105 bergers from a 6x47 lapua. Shots were from 250-600 yards. The rifle is a very accurate Hart barrelled 700 and all shots were behind the shoulder “lung” shots from very solid rest... although part of the rules were that we could not disturb the carcasses after the shot, I am very sure of the shot placement. All the deer ran off as if the bullets “penciled” through. Perhaps shoulder shots would have proven more effective but after 4-5 deer all displaying the same results, I changed rifles. I took out a Hart barrelled 6 ackley shooting 70 gr BT’s and it killed like lightning. Just my experience.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They will work just fine.

Last edited by Dan700mn; 02/16/21.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As stated in other conversations I shoot 105 hybrids in my 243. Have shot deer, wolves ,and coyotes with them in mass. They go in 4 or 5 " and then fragment rapidly. Internal damage is amazing. Sometimes an exit on deer, sometimes not. Exit on coyotes and wolves ranges from the size of a golf ball to the size of a tennis ball. It pretty much liquifies the internals. Some people don't like them because they cause too much damage, and blood shot.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Will be for 6.5prc.

I've posted this before.

Back when I was working up loads for my then new 26 Nosler, I noted that Berger had their 140 HVLD data at 3,100 fps. I called and talked to a tech, told him I could push those bullets a LOT faster than that. He let me know they didn't recommend their Hunting VLD to be driven over 3,100 fps, suggested I use their Target VLD, as those had tougher jackets.

I moved onto other choices. My hunting bud swears by the 140 NAB at 3,250, I like 120 TTSX/E-Tips at 3,450 fps. We built a pair of 26's on shot out Rem 700 7RM's. Pat pushes 140 Scenars at 3,250 or more with good results. I think they’re tougher than VLD’s.

Bottom line, if you're gonna be pushing VLD’s at 3,200, 3,300 fps, then the target version may actually be preferable to the hunting version. Not sure the top end velocity with 140's out of the PRC, either book data or Fire experiences....

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/17/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Will be for 6.5prc.

My favorite hunting bullet. Latest of many large victims..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gorgeous ram Greg! Awesome animal in awesome country. Congrats bud.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

Will be for 6.5prc.

My favorite hunting bullet. Latest of many large victims..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep 🔨

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.