Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm interested in a Grohmann #1 or #2. I have never had a chance to see one in person yet. So tell me what your thoughts are. My favorite as of now is one of my Winston knives.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been using the Grohmann #1 DH Russell Belt Knife for over 30 years... as they say, "Strange looking, but feels Great in the hand!"

My current was given to me by my father for Christmas in 1997. He lives in Maine and happened to be up in Nova Scotia that fall and stopped in to the Grohmann factory in Pictou. He knew nothing about the DH Russell design, but when he picked one up he was convinced it was a great design and I needed one. Little did he know It had been my favorite for a decade at that point. Regardless, I gave my old one to a friend and have used the one my now 92yo father gave me since 97.' I think of him every time I use it. I can't remember how many elk, deer, antelope and black bear it's been used on.

Personally I like the Grohmann version best over the various copies...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Grohmann #2 Trout & Bird knife is a favorite of mine. Mine had Rosewood scales and a SS blade. I’ve seen em’ with stag scales and they were nice...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Brad, If you had a choice what grind and steel would you get?

Antlers, Do you use your #2 for big game? If so why did you choose it over the #1?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used it for white tails and pronghorn. Worked perfectly for me. I liked it best because it was slim and trim, it didn’t have any fat on it. I don’t need a big blade to take apart deer sized game. I much prefer a smaller blade, one that’s slim and trim.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rdd
Brad, If you had a choice what grind and steel would you get?

Antlers, Do you use your #2 for big game? If so why did you choose it over the #1?

rdd, I would always chose the “regular” grind and stainless which is what both mine have been. All my handmade kitchen knives are carbon, but I prefer stainless for hunting knives.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antlers
I used it for white tails and pronghorn. Worked perfectly for me. I liked it best because it was slim and trim, it didn’t have any fat on it. I don’t need a big blade to take apart deer sized game. I much prefer a smaller blade, one that’s slim and trim.

I was interested right up 'til I met that skinny little handle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by antlers

I was interested right up 'til I met that skinny little handle.

Have you actually ever held one in your hand? Because in the hand, there’s absolutely nothing “skinny” about the handle.

Aside, I’ve had 5 different Ingram knives (a much vaunted maker here in the fire). I found all the handles far too thin and “skinny”... none of them are as full or “gripable” as the Grohmann.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a look at the LT Wright northern hunter ( i think ).
Small and large size. Nice knives.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A utilitarian, slicing profile and bad handle ergos.

Pass.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Little more scratch, you could have a badass custom.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add

Pass.

Spoken like someone that’s never used one.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
[quote=JSTUART]

Have you actually ever held one in your hand? Because in the hand, there’s absolutely nothing “skinny” about the handle.

Aside, I’ve had 5 different Ingram knives (a much vaunted maker here in the fire). I found all the handles far too thin and “skinny”... none of them are as full or “gripable” as the Grohmann.

Yes I have, I generally find Randall on the small size in my Hands.

It is not the rear of the grip that is the problem, it is the fore part...too small.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is a 60's era 3-6 with a thick stag handle in my hand when I was working retail, now I am back to manual (shovel etc) work my hands have got heavier and broader.

The Canadian knife handle is uncomfortably small.

[Linked Image]

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by add

Pass.

Spoken like someone that’s never used one.

Wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leupold for life!!! 😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are set to get a Grohmann be sure to look at the No. 3, it has much better feel that the No. 1 handle. I got my first No.1 about fifty years ago and have had three of them over the years. I picked up a No.3 and it felt and worked a lot better. The problem with the No. 1 is the size of the handle at the hilt of the knife. It is too small in diameter.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Blade forward / awkward and clumsy.

Decent camp knife for kitchen work.

Field dressing a white-tail?

Only in a pinch.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree with Brad. The #1 is a great game processor. It might look a bit weird, especially the thin handle. But, here again I agree with Brad. The handle does not feel skinny at all. Believe it or not, it has great ergonomics. You have to hold one to really understand for yourself. It's light and nimble, takes and holds a fine edge and can be held in about 4-5 positions, all of which feel completely natural. I like it so well that it replaced a J A Henckels that was my primary game knife for close to 40 years.

I also have a #3 and a #4 and like them both quite a bit, also. But the #1 is the one that does the honors on all my game. All of mine have stag handles. The #1 and #3 are stainless with sable grind. The larger #4 is carbon with a flat grind for camp kitchen duties, and is also a very fine moose processor.

BTW, the best prices I have found come from Stapleton's Great Adventure Company in Canada.

www.adventuregear.ca

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/24/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The CBK is a great design for field dressing, IME, but also in IME the Grohmann #1 handle is too small to be comfortable for a lot of work. Folks need to remember that the handles come in one size, but our hands don't. If someone says it works great for them, I don't doubt them a bit. If someone says it doesn't, I don't doubt them either.

Take a look at the Knives of Alaska Yukon Belt Knife #2. The handle is quite a bit bigger, so if the Grohmann doesn't work for you, it might. I've made several CBKs and I always make the handles larger to fit my hand better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.