-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I pulled my old Feinwerkbau 124 out today after too many years and the pellet would not clear the breech. I applied some silicone oil and moved the piston several times before firing it but no go. I think it needs a new piston seal.

Can anyone give any ideas where to send it. This is one I purchased from the old Air RIfle Headquarters, I think up in Virginia or West Virginia back in the mid 70's

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
http://www.airgunwerks.com/

David Slade. Did a good job on a FWB for me a few years ago.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, talked to David this afternoon, have the gun packed and ups label printed and attached so I can drop it off at pickup point in the morning.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I replaced the spring and seal on my 124 several years ago. It's not that complicated if you have a little mechanical ability. I didn't have a press either. I just compressed while wearing gloves and safety glasses and had a friend push out the pin. You can probably find an example online if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

oops. I didn't see your response about sending the rifle off before I typed my post.

Last edited by Timbo; 11/16/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That air rifle is beyond help and you should send it to me for proper disposal. Just kidding!

I sent mine to David Slade years ago. His work is top notch!

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
124's are FINE Air Rifles........SUPER Smooth, VERY Accurate.........they will knock off squirrels dead running on powerlines at 60-70 yds.....given the elevation and windage......sometimes you get lucky smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I want to say about 30 years ago, I tried to do something involving the mainspring, and quickly decided it was beyond my level of expertise, especially not having a good way to compress the spring, so sent it off that time.

65BR, I agree about accuracy and smoothness for a springer. Sometime near the time my son was born, making it late 1976 or early 77 when we were up at the in laws in Ga, I knocked a crow out of a hickory tree at what we estimated at about 60 yards, At the time I had a receiver sight on it and my eyes were a lot better.

Where in La. are you, I grew up and went to school in W. Monroe/Monroe.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a 124 knowing that the seal was toast, and sent mine to John in PA. It was kind of a big deal for me, as I was very nearly an EX-airgunner at that point.

John installed the Maccari power spring/seal kit, including hand fitting the seal and he "breathed" on it wherever he felt he should.

John never brags on himself, but his work is just outstanding. It has an extreme spread of 2.3 fps IIRC with JSB Exacts. Thats it. It is very smooth & precise in operation, the firing cycle is fast & clean, and it is very, very accurate. Even the trigger is pretty good, and thats the one criticism anyone should ever levy at these guns. In fact, if someone developed an improved trigger, they could charge $100 and they'd still sell.

It jump started my return to airgunning. Which led to a few other rifles, but the FWB 124 is still the best of the bunch.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I got mine back today. When I sent it in David said it would be 3 to 4 weeks before he could look at it, and he was pretty much on schedule. Completing work just before Christmas. I asked him to hold until after the first of the year before shipping it back to me, then I got to looking and apparently he had not received my check, according to my online bank statement,so I called and he said he had been having trouble getting mail. I kept looking and was about to stop payment and send another when he said it arrived. He then notified me that he and his wife and contracted the Covid virus and was quarantined for two weeks, meantime check had not been deposited. I then got notice that gun had shipped, and finally saw where check had been deposited two days after shipment. I got my scope mounted back and fired it a couple of times. His extra power spring does seem to have some extra power based of feel of cocking effort, as best I can remember. It's too wet to get out and re zero, and hope to get that done in a couple of days.

kragman, I have to agree it's a fine rifle, I bought mine new back in early 1975 and never looked back, Probably 8 or 9 years later I also bought a Feinwerkbau 300 and talk about accurate, but nowhere nearly as powerful.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
JK - I enjoy mine very much!

But..... Now that I've been shooting my Beeman R9 a bit, I definitely have a horse race on my hands!

They are both quality made, but as far as I can tell the R9 (Weihreuch HW50) is better all the way around.

Let that sink in.....

All. The. Way. Around......

Wow.

Have fun shopping...! 😁😁😁

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B3

W
W
I was in the EXACT same situation a few weeks ago. Sent mine to Scott Schneider, who comes well recommended on the airgun forums. I will post my experience when I get it back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.