Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Well, in West Texas you will lose 20-40% of blue quail you down with 71/2 because by the time you get to where the broke wing birds fell they will be 75 yards away uphill or in desert sand you cant run in or 2-3 feet down a badger hole or burrowing owl hole or under several hundred pounds of pack rat nests 2 feet high and 6 ft across built up through 12 branches of a spreading mesquite.

With low base 20 ga 6's i will beat any gunner with a 12 and high brass 71/2's re birds in the bag at days end.
Wish I had learned to shoot with a sxs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I agree 100%. Bigger shot nails them better. When I rolled my own shotgun ammo I would load some 1 1/8 ounce 5 shot ammo just for quail, and some 1 1/4 ounce loads for the left barrel. 6s did a good job and had a denser pattern. Quail vanish into badger holes and into lava boulder piles and slides out here even when they're dead, I'd swear.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Well, in West Texas you will lose 20-40% of blue quail you down with 71/2 because by the time you get to where the broke wing birds fell they will be 75 yards away uphill or in desert sand you cant run in or 2-3 feet down a badger hole or burrowing owl hole or under several hundred pounds of pack rat nests 2 feet high and 6 ft across built up through 12 branches of a spreading mesquite.

With low base 20 ga 6's i will beat any gunner with a 12 and high brass 71/2's re birds in the bag at days end.

I have always preferred to go up in shot size, eschewing "pattern density" (a concept important only to gunwriters) for broken bones and penetration through to vitals from behind.

BINGO!

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
gkt5450 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Indy,
I’ve owned a couple of SKB 500’s that I’ve enjoyed. Now my two sons are enjoying them quite a lot!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hahaha, l2s. Great to see you on. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hahaha, l2s. Great to see you on. smile

Yeah...well...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wink grin

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
They are all I own, 12's, 16's and 20's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful, Ed.

The three boys and I headed over to a ranch outside Fredericksburg 12/23/20 and had more than a lot of fun.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Blue quail are track stars w wings!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Precisely Wabi! I need to smell powder burn!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Dukxdog,
That is a gorgeous shotgun. Congrats.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Been shooting little but sxs for a long time. I've shot guns from virtually everywhere. The last time I was in the buying mode the best sxs gun for the money was, IMHO, an Ugartechea. In fact, Buzz Fawcett ran his shooting school with Ugartecheas and put an astronomical number of shells through their base models. If you can find a used one they can be a bargain as many folks don't recognize their value. Still have a xxv Churchill configured ejector grade and have probably killed more birds with it than any other. Wife has an extractor grade 28. They are often found under the trade name Parker Hale. Do pay attention to the stock drop on other older guns.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I haven't dedicated myself to them, but do love SxS's. Second week of Dove season I use an SKB 100, IC & Mod. If/when I get the chance to hunt quail or grouse, the SKB is what'd used.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome thread men. Good to talk shooting again. I don’t deer hunt anymore. I do pig hunt, turkey hunt. Enjoy quail and dove shooting. I got both knees replaced on February 14,’20 and have healed well, w typical stiffness associated w cool and damp weather. I didn’t hunt last year and am ready to go again...I hope!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Two of my old buddies wanted a more traditional way of shotgunning, so they went blackpowder SXS, and loved it. It just seems like a lot more work to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad a had a Stevens 311 in 16 gauge. Until I bought my own side by side, I used it to hunt quail, dove and ducks in Oklahoma. I own a half dozen side by side today, a few Spanish made in Eibar, and a couple of Brownings, an old Ithaca, and a Turkish Dickenson set in .410 and 28 gauge. I still have my dad's old Stevens.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Only the fanciest SxS come hunting with me. Anyone able to ID this fine piece?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I’ve got the typical shotguns to hunt with. But, I have a hankering for an older, high comb dbl bbl to carry on some walk about shooting. I’m not retiring my others but just want an older more traditional shooter. Probably a 20g as a weight saving measure.
What is your experience w SxS?

The only way to go. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Squidge
The SKB 280E quail special is IM/IM, they only made them for a couple of years and didn't make very many of them.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/906203274/280E-Ithaca-SKB-Quail-Special-20-Gauge-In-Box.htm

Box says "Improved", sure it's not IC rather than IM?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Quail Special is I/C & I/C. I/M is between Mod & Full, not a good quail choke.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I huntef with a side by side 20 for a few years. I did very well with it on quail. I'm not sure why it just swung well and pointed fast. I'm still interested in a light framed cz 28 but we don't really have quail in East Idaho and I don't think I'll ever move back to Boise.

Bb

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.