Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Found a few Remington 700 ADL's in stock locally for a good price and am considering picking one up. With Remington's reputation being what it is, and with warranty service being sort of up in the air for the time being, I'm a little hesitant. If I choose to buy one, what should are some things to be on the lookout for? What are the common problems with newer production Remington rifles and how can I check for them?

Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My main complaints are:

1. The plastic internals (trigger especially) seem pretty flimsy.

2. The bluing is bottom of the barrel. My last Rem would rust if you looked at it hard enough.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Try cycling the bolt. I looked at one a couple of years ago and it felt like there was sand in it. Never seen any rifle any time that had a rougher feeling bolt. I told them thanks but no thanks. I have 3 700s built in the 80s that are very nice rifles. I am not a Remington hater.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know that there are any common problems that could be detected with a cursory examination. If the shop will let you cycle some ammo, that could help a little. It seems fairly common, among a number of manufacturers, for there to be chambering, extraction and ejection issues. 3 of my last three rifles had such problems.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Found a few Remington 700 ADL's in stock locally for a good price and am considering picking one up. With Remington's reputation being what it is, and with warranty service being sort of up in the air for the time being, I'm a little hesitant. If I choose to buy one, what should are some things to be on the lookout for? What are the common problems with newer production Remington rifles and how can I check for them?

Thanks.

With all those reservations in your mind, why are you considering them? I’m over buying stuff I don’t really want just to get a good price. Unless I just needed a rifle, any rifle, I’d think a bit more, just not so long as to miss the boat.

I doubt anyone will let you load a rifle with real ammo to check function. They may have snap caps that fit you could use, even if you have to buy them, not a hardship if you’re set on a cartridge as they are handy to have.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348

With all those reservations in your mind, why are you considering them? I’m over buying stuff I don’t really want just to get a good price. Unless I just needed a rifle, any rifle, I’d think a bit more, just not so long as to miss the boat.

I doubt anyone will let you load a rifle with real ammo to check function. They may have snap caps that fit you could use, even if you have to buy them, not a hardship if you’re set on a cartridge as they are handy to have.

Winner winner

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used model 700s from the 80s until recent production. My experience is that the newer ones are more accurate. However, the finish is much better on the ones from the 80s. The "gritty" finish on the SPS/ADLs of recent can be worn in on the bolt by cycling several hundred times. They'll never feel as good as a Tikka but they are usable. They've all had timing issues with regards to camming. Also, most of them have had oversized firing pin holes in the bolt causing cratering. The stainless factory barrels tend to foul much less than the blued models.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd look for one that has M-70 and New Haven, Connecticut on the barrel

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
What is a good price?

What calibers are available?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
why would anyone buy a Remington?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Prolly 379 at wallyworld.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have or have had about 30 Model 700s since the 80s. Never had an extractor problem, accuracy was normal for factory rifles, bolts moved freely, triggers were never a problem but I don't try to adjust them down to 2oz. Some I sold because I got bored with the round they were chambered for, others because I was trying to raise money for another gun. Bottom line: A lot of people here like to hate on Remington, don't believe everything you read.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I'd look for one that has M-70 and New Haven, Connecticut on the barrel

Have you had a brand new one? The fit and finish of the Portugal models with CRF is outstanding. No reason to backtrack unless you specifically don't want CRF... certainly not for a brand loyalty thing... Winchester hasn't been that Winchester in a very long time...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would buy every $379 WalMart ADL I came across if I have a place to store them. The quality is just fine, and make great actions to build off of.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't know that there are any common problems that could be detected with a cursory examination. If the shop will let you cycle some ammo, that could help a little. It seems fairly common, among a number of manufacturers, for there to be chambering, extraction and ejection issues. 3 of my last three rifles had such problems.

I wouldn’t count on a shop letting you cycle ammo, I know I wouldn’t.

Now, if you brought in some dummy rounds, that may work. Those aren’t that hard to find on line.

DF

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My local walmart has a rack full of $379 700's in 243. I was surprised to see them there, when most gun stores in town are nearly empty. With all the issues mentioned here, however, even $379 seems like a steep price for a product with so many potential problems when there are other alternatives.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington are sweet once you sink another $500 in them for a new trigger, side bolt release, reinforced bolt handle, bushed firing pin....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Remington are sweet once you sink another $500 in them for a new trigger, side bolt release, reinforced bolt handle, bushed firing pin....

Or..don't buy the bullshit, and shoot them as is. A trigger is always a good investment, but other than that the rest is just fluff.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought a Model 700 ADL Package Rifle in 308 about a couple of years ago. After I swapped the scope and mounts, it shot MOA with several cheap factory loads. The Barnes TTSX 150-grain load took the cake with a consistent 0.6 MOA and 2,886 fps. The best handload so far is (no surprise) 46 grains of Varget and a 165-grain Nosler Partition, which does 2,700 fps at the muzzle and stays sub-MOA beyond 300 yards. I had the barrel cut to 22" and had it bedded into an HS Precision stock. Neither was necessary but I like the results.

I bought one in 30-06 just after Christmas. I haven't shot it enough to have an opinion on it yet. I swapped out the scope and mounts but I'll probably leave it stock otherwise.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've purchased two new production 700 BDLs, one in .30-06 and one in .270, in the last few months. My only complaint was with the .270. The floorplate was very tight to close. I worked on the inletting in that area a little and now it's fine. In terms of fit, finish and function, they are perfect. No complaints at all. My only concern is that OEM parts have pretty much dried up. Until Remington gets up and running again, that could be an issue. I've never, for instance, had an extractor problem with a 700, but it's nice to know they're available if you need one, and they aren't. AFAIK, no one makes an aftermarket 700 extractor. Unless Remington gets up and running and starts producing spare parts, the only option would be to have an M16 or Sako style extractor installed if one breaks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.