Hop To
Page 149 of 196 1 2 147 148 149 150 151 195 196
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Shooting at 50 yards because:

1. It is the only spot at local public range where terrain allows my chrono to be set up high enough on tripod to allow readings at 5 yards and be able to shoot into a target.
Only other option there is to go down to 600-yard bench where the ground is flat, without a significant drop-off in front of the bench.
I have two functional optical chronos (Caldwell G2 and Oehler 35P) and will not pay for a Lab Radar until I shoot those opticals into nonfunctionality.
I have killed two chronos in the past with shotgun wads.
Waiting to kill two more.
With Lab Radar I could shoot from any bench.

2. At 50 yards the big bore rifle goal is to get three bullets into the same hole.
50 yards is the critical spot-on range for a big bore DGR for offense or defense.
Screw the 5-shot groups for group size with the big bores whether at 50 yards or 100 yards.
5 shots takes too prolonged a concentration on shooting technique to be as much fun as 3 shots.
5 shots per load is done only in looking for the magical standard deviation of less than 5 fps for those 5 shots.
Depending on the rifle's accuracy node, that could have decent accuracy potential and functional load potential.

3. Yes wind drift at 50 yards might only be 2" on a bad day, but it would be closer to 4" at 100 yards.
Horizontal stringing including lulls and gusts could be whatever the stated drift is plus any shooter error plus any rifle&ammo error.
More frustrating at longer ranges: Was it me or was it the wind ?

My latest chronographing was good enough to prove a load of 81 grains AA-2230 with my hardcast, PC-painted, gas-checked bullets.
Accuracy potential is there.
When I go back to shoot a final zero in comparison to Shock Hammers,
I now know the loads with those bullets and the Shock Hammer are interchangeable.
And I will do it on a calm day !

I do have 1:18" and 1:20" twist rifles chambered for .45-2.6" StarLine brass fired in chambers with .458 WinMag throating.
They are only 2 grains of water bigger than the .458 WinMag
Dave Manson reamer will so alter any .45-70 Govt. chamber. Identical to .45-70 Elko Magnum of CIP homologation.
Slower twist might be better for cast, but the 1:14" .458 WinMag twist is doing well enough, even at +2500 fps with 400-ish-grainer.
Probably could kill a deer with that .458 WinMag and the Hi-Vel Hardcast,
might work for woodchucks too.
For sure a good practice load to save on Shock Hammers.

Thanks for answering my question regarding range shot. That makes sense, especially if using and setting up an old chrono. However, yours is a lot newer and easier to set up than the one I use. I don't shoot the big 458, that may change, but I'd probably just shoot 3 shots per group and call it good, but 50 yards and 5 shots makes sense. Especially in the wind. I don't use a chrono much because mine is old and a PITA to set up, like it sounds like yours is. Mine may be older though, and it only gives me velocity readings. I have to shoot through a stupid window in cardboard inserts that go into the chrono.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Maybe using a chrono is more important with those cast bullets, but I rarely need to use one with jacketed bullets in my hunting rifles. Groups tell me what I need to know. If I need to know velocity for dope and data, so be it. I'll pull the PITA chrono out and get some numbers. Velocity numbers, I could care the fu ck less about sd/es, as the group will tell me if those numbers are good. Just how it is.. Been tested and verified.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,
Mighty good 'ol boy of you, thanks. That is a practical method.
The smallest st.dev. load won't always be the most accurate load in a rifle, but sometimes it is, when it happens to be at the sweet spot for the rifle harmonics.
Still it is one measure of internal ballistic uniformity and reproducibility, whatever the pressure and velocity of the load.
Handy shorthand communication.

https://www.calculator.net/standard-deviation-calculator.html

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday winds were gusting to 50 mph, almost made me homesick for Alaska.

Public Service Announcement:

A SAAMI .458 Lott can be transformed into a more powerful rifle
by re-barreling it to SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.

[Linked Image]

Chambering designation on barrel of above rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From Czech Republic by way of Kansas City, MO, USA, a few years before they quit making them,
CZ must not have wanted to change the tooling used to make .458 Lott rifles.
Original CIP homologation date for the .458 Lott appears to have been on or before August 24, 2000.
The CIP revision of May 15, 2002 continued to show the Deep Throat version.
The CIP revision of May 16, 2006 finally shows a short throat that matches the SAAMI version of the .458 Lott.
CIP and SAAMI homologations of the .458 Winchester Magnum have always been identical,
except that CIP allows a higher Maximum Average Pressure.
Same MAP for both .458 Winchester Magnum and the .458 Lott according to CIP.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my other .458 Lott that got re-barreled to a more powerful chambering:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Leupold 6x36mm Compact scope has been known to withstand prolong use on the .577 Tyrannosaur.
The rig pictured above with that scope will be most trouble free for .458 Win. Magnum varminting.
Just check all screws for tightness after each 20 shots ... or less ... depending on OCD severity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another load tried in the same Ruger Mk II .458 WinMag, about 5 years ago, will be used to illustrate
initial 50-yard shooting and chronographing for 5-shot st. dev., and 3-shot group at 100 yards,
despite a not so terrible crosswind varying between 10 and 20 mph:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An initial fouling shot (#0) chronographed at 5 yards = 2531 fps and went low on target.
The next 5 shots settled down to lower velocity with tiny variance, 5-yard readings:
#1 = 2515 fps
#2 = 2516
#3 = 2514
#4 = 2516
#5 = 2516
Rounded to nearest fps, instrumental mean = 2515 fps, Standard Deviation = 1 fps for 5 shots.
+12 fps for BC = 0.372, 5-yard correction, gives MV = 2527 fps, in 25" Shilen barrel.
Estimated 24" Shilen barrel velocity = 2512 fps.

Call it a nominal 2500 fps MV load for the generic 24"-barreled .458 WinMag,
and about 2350 fps MV for 18"-barreled .458 WinMag.

[Linked Image]

First 3-shot group at 100 yards had variable winds:

[Linked Image]

Second 3-shot group at 100 yards had less variable wind, closer to steady wind:

[Linked Image]

A total of 18 HV bullets were used for this exercise.
Those Hardcast-Hi-Vel bullets will save some money in substituting for the HV and Hammer bullets
with same powder charges in practice loads for varmint shooting.
Whatever a .223 Wylde can do, so can a .458 WinMag.
Same powders work well in both with slightly different charge weights.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
where can we find these HV Bullets thanks Sir James

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
where can we find these HV Bullets thanks Sir James

Sir James,
The .458/404-gr Shock Hammer is what you want.
It has a better BC, and Sir Jerry proved its terminals as a DRT cape buffalo bullet.

It actually took longer for me to get some of the GSC cataloged 400-gr HV bullets
than it did for me to start from scratch with Hammer Bullets,
begging them to produce a new .458/400-ish grainer
patterned after their .375/270-gr, a simple scaling up of that,
with a 3 mm hollow point.

The GSC used to be tops, but now there is Hammer.

T
T
I am a new guy here and after reading the first 21 pages, I find the information very rewarding. But the question I have is, are there any loads for the 458 using the Berry's 350 gr plated bullet? The loads would need to be under the 1.950 fps maximum velocity. The rifle I have is a Winchester mdl 70 CRF, and the brass I will be using is reformed & trimmed 300 WM. It looks there is a worldwide shortage of the 458 brass.

Now on to page 22.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Do you have any of these powders sir? IMR or H4198, Accurate 2015, either of the 4895 powders? The 60% rule on 4895 works in the 458WM just fine and the others I listed are easy to light and highly probable to be able to develop the light load you want in only short experiments over a Chronograph. I personally use AA 2015 in my cast loads for about 1750 FPS with 485 grain bullet using 51 grains. I would guess that somewhere between 60-65 grains would launch a 350 at your 1950 fps target speed.
Sir Ron will chime it with lots of help at his first opportunity I am sure.
Best regards,
F01

T
T
Some of the powders I have are: Accurate and IMR4064, Accurate 2015, and Accurate 2230 powders. I should have some 4895, I will have to look. The plated bullets are relegated to lower velocities, these are spec'ed for the 45/70 and have a knurled crimp groove. What I have been finding is loads for the 450 Marlin and 45/70 using this bullet, and even a lot of these loads exceed 1,950fps. Will these "light" loads be a problem in the larger 458 case? IE hang-fires, or erratic velocities? Would there be a need to use fillers with these lighter loads to get consistent ignition and velocities? I would like to keep the velocity around 1,800 fps to prevent the plating from coming off.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Asante sana-sana, Sir Dennis, for the flowers.
(We are switching the Elvis lingo to Swahili, as a nod to the "African" history of the King of Cartridges.
No more Afrikaans donkey crap, and French just ain't cricket.)

The Old Virginian,
You have earned a seat at the Square Table. Pick your Knight handle please. Sir Virginian ?
That would be quite the honorable sobriquet, IMHO.
My Father's folk started out from Jamestown in 1607.
Kentucky was a county of Virginia until 1792, etc., etc.

The Berry's Bullets that I tried in the .458 WinMag were their old version of 405-grainers FN grease-grooved.
With the blue lube, they weighed 409 grains, had a diameter of .459" and BHN 20.
Great bullets for the .45-70 Gov't.

Maybe you have the copper plated 350-grainers ?
Probably also best in .45-70 Gov't.

SAAMI .45-70 spec is for a groove diameter minimum of .456".
Many factory .45-70 rifles will be .457" to .458", in groove diameter,
with twists of 1:18" to 1:21" usually, and almost no throat.
Your Berry's 350-grainers at 1950 fps would be ideal in such a rifle.

My experience with the Berry's 405-gr greasers in the .458 WinMag was that they would shoot acceptably well
if velocity was kept down to no more than 1400 fps, and 1200 fps was even better for accuracy.
26 grains to 30 grains of AA-5744 is all you need for that.
That ballistics killed off herds of bison in the 1870s.
It will sure do the same for deer in the woods now.

I would recommend trying the 350-gr Berry's Bullets by starting with 26.0 grains of AA-5744 in the .458 WinMag.
Work up from there. Should be a fun load.

Jacketed or monometal copper/brass 350-grainers would be needed for best results in the .458 WinMag at higher velocities.
Higher MV, faster twist, long throat, and bigger groove diameter were not kind to my .459" Berry's Bullets.
I save those for .45-70 Gov't. use.
Harder alloy, PC paint, gas check, and sizing to .460" to .461" for .458" to .459" grooves works better in the .458 WinMag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lessee how this works, from here: https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find load data for your bullets?

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.

Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)

Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.

Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.

Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.

Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.

Here are websites with load data information:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Buyers and users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any product or data, whether or not occasioned by seller’s negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. It is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves in safety standards associated with handloading ammunition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
45-70 350gr Round Shoulder plated .458" diameter, max MV 1950 fps
.458 SOCOM (.458) 350gr RS plated .458" diameter, max MV 2000 fps

Above specs are from Berry's Bullets web site.
They do not say that applies to .458 WinMag.

Those 350-grainers must be heavily plated.
Might be able to try in the .458 WinMag by starting low and working up,
watch what happens to accuracy.
Would consider H4895 max load of 80 grains with 350gr bullets as a conservative max baseline,
about 2400 fps in your .458 WinMag with 24" barrel.
Starting load would be 48 grains H4895 for a higher velocity (1800 fps maybe ?) low pressure starting load.
H4198 starting at 40 grains with a filler would be a good starting point too.
I would use a foam wad (caulk backer rod) filler with H4198 or H4895.

I am kind of stuck on 400-grainers. Have not used the 350-grainers much except testing to 2800 fps with the 350-gr TSX.
H4198 is the powder there, at doses up to 81.0 grains , seated long.

72.0 gr of H4198 is a good 2526 fps MV load for the 350-gr. Hornady RNSP at COL of 3.165" in WW brass with F215 primer.
Might try backing down from that with a filler, looking for accuracy at no more than 1950 fps.
Maybe around 50 grains with filler.

T
T
45-70 350gr Round Shoulder plated .458" diameter, max MV 1950 fps
.458 SOCOM (.458) 350gr RS plated .458" diameter, max MV 2000 fps

Above specs are from Berry's Bullets web site.
They do not say that applies to .458 WinMag.

Those 350-grainers must be heavily plated.
Might be able to try in the .458 WinMag by starting low and working up,
watch what happens to accuracy.
Would consider H4895 max load of 80 grains with 350gr bullets as a conservative max baseline,
about 2400 fps in your .458 WinMag with 24" barrel.
Starting load would be 48 grains H4895 for a higher velocity (1800 fps maybe ?) low pressure starting load.
H4198 starting at 40 grains with a filler would be a good starting point too.
I would use a foam wad (caulk backer rod) filler with H4198 or H4895.

I am kind of stuck on 400-grainers. Have not used the 350-grainers much except testing to 2800 fps with the 350-gr TSX.
H4198 is the powder there, at doses up to 81.0 grains , seated long.

72.0 gr of H4198 is a good 2526 fps MV load for the 350-gr. Hornady RNSP at COL of 3.165" in WW brass with F215 primer.
Might try backing down from that with a filler, looking for accuracy at no more than 1950 fps.
Maybe around 50 grains with filler.

Those in blue are the bullets I have. Yes they are for the 45/70, and I just measured them at .458"-4575" diameter. My goal is to develop just a blasting load, to get trigger time with the rifle.

I bought the rifle to take to S.A. but I couldn't get the paperwork done in time. I ended up using the PH's rifle. Confession time, I was actually in the market for a 458 Lott, but this gun came up. The more I shoot it the more I realize I ended up with the better caliber. One thing is I wouldn't be able to form Lott cases from anything I have.

My plan is to down-load the cartridge to a power level to be usable here in the east. 458 American or 45/70 is what I have in mind. Like everyone else, I have been struggling to find reloading components, that is why I bought these plated bullets. I don't plan to add any more calibers, so I will need to use the plated bullets in my 458 WM.

From what I have read so far, those here shoot from Cape Buffalo to Ground Hogs with their 458s. :-) I am here to learn all I can about this versatile caliber. I am far from new to guns and reloading. just new to the 458 WinMag.

Last edited by The_Old_Virginian; 02/15/23. Reason: clicked too early
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah so !

[Linked Image]

That will work for a plinker.
FortuneCookie45LC used a soft-cast, PC painted and lubed 340-grainer sized to .458"
as a barely supersonic plinker from his .458 WM, using 16 grains of Unique and no filler.
The Berry's plated bullet should work as well or better.

[Linked Image]

AA-5744 might do even better (no filler needed), and don't forget to try H4198 and H4895 with filler.
Speaking of H4895, here is an abbreviated re-run of "No Name Handloader's" work:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H4895 can be used for just about anything good, bad or ugly in the .458 WinMag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about No Name Handloader's work with H4895 ...
it does give me a place to hang a starting load quite safely with 730-gr bullets in the .458 WinMag.
Using his recommended maximum charge of 56.0 grains (based on one shot), backed up by his firing of 2 shots of 54.0 grains,
and one shot of 52.0 grains ...
For the lowest reduced load to safely try with H4895: 0.60 X 56.0 grains = 33.6 grains
Heck fire, make it 35 grains for an extra margin of safety against detonation kaboom.
Work up 1 grain at a time instead of 2,
the better to discern any accuracy nodes along the way.

I am giving up on expecting gilt-edged accuracy from my 400-ish-grain HiVel-HardCast.
Here is the best I got at 100 yards, last time out:

[Linked Image]

The slightly harder version in BHN25 alloy might be more accurate, or dare I think of heat treating to +30 BHN ?
No matter.
The silver lining in this cloud is that the 400-ish grainer HardCast/PC-painted/GC bullets work well as surrogate bullets in another way:
Load development for ladder workups with a chosen powder to establish expected velocity with the super-premium bullet.
Good substitute for an expensive bullet like the 404-gr Shock Hammer.
Near identical results on velocity per grain of powder.

I will be satisfied with my former combo:

[Linked Image]

579-grainer at about 1400 fps MV, zeroed at 50 yards will allow an accurate and practical trajectory
for the 407-grainer at about 2170 fps MV, out to 200 yards with same sighting, whether irons or scope.

To review, where both loads land at 50 yards with same scope setting:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Zero this one at 100 yards and it lands a couple of feet low at 200 yards:

[Linked Image]

The 1400 fps/579-gr load is the kind of trajectory Sir Saint Bill Bagwell could use effectively at 500 yards.
That would make a bloody big hole through any critter.
An H4895 ladder with this 579-gr bullet is not quite as interesting to me as doing the same thing with the 407-grainer.
Check velocity starting with 48.0 grains + filler in 1-grain steps until 72.0 grains, then go for compression until 2500 fps reached.
Just for kicks.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ah so !

[Linked Image]

That will work for a plinker.
FortuneCookie45LC used a soft-cast, PC painted and lubed 340-grainer sized to .458"
as a barely supersonic plinker from his .458 WM, using 16 grains of Unique and no filler.
The Berry's plated bullet should work as well or better.

[Linked Image]

AA-5744 might do even better (no filler needed), and don't forget to try H4198 and H4895 with filler.
Speaking of H4895, here is an abbreviated re-run of "No Name Handloader's" work:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H4895 can be used for just about anything good, bad or ugly in the .458 WinMag.

The 56 grain load gives 4761 foot pounds of energy I calculate.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m
The 56 grain load gives 4761 foot pounds of energy I calculate.

Sample loads for momentum comparison:

730 grains at 1714 fps >>> 4761 ft-lbs KE <<< 179 lbs-fps Momentum (WFN cast-bullet freight train will be hard to stop.)

Compare to Sir Jerry's .458 WM+ TBSS from a 24"-barreled .458 WM M70 with 3.545" COL, 83.0 gr AA-2460, WW brass/F215:

500 grains at 2368 fps >>> 6225 ft-lbs KE <<< 169 lbs-fps Momentum (Quite the penetrator too, no doubt.)

400-grainer at 2122 fps >>> 4000 ft-lbs KE <<< 121 lbs-fps Momentum
500-grainer at 2122 fps >>> 5000 ft-lbs KE <<< 152 lbs-fps Mo' Momentum
600-grainer at 2122 fps >>> 6000 ft-lbs KE <<< 182 lbs-fps Most Momentum

Other favorites:
400-grainer at 2627 fps >>> 6129 ft-lbs KE <<< 150 lbs-fps Mo
400-grainer at 2599 fps >>> 6000 ft-lbs KE <<< 149 lbs-fps Mo
400-grainer at 2500 fps >>> 5551 ft-lbs KE <<< 143 lbs-fps Mo
400-grainer at 2400 fps >>> 5116 ft-lbs KE <<< 137 lbs-fps Mo
400-grainer at 2373 fps >>> 5000 ft-lbs KE <<< 136 lbs-fps Mo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some evidence suggesting that after 5 firings of full house loads
maybe we should retire our .458 WinMag brass to plinking loads.

An acquaintance shooter of .223 Remington bolt action bugholer
experienced this at the shooting bench next to mine.
His 100-yard, 5-shot groups would fit into one of my bullet holes ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe CFE 223 would have been a lower pressure load for same velocity and accuracy.
IMR-3031 is pretty fast burn rate for a 77-grainer .223 Rem load.
However, the front half of the separated case fell out of the rifle when the rifle was raised to vertical with bolt open.
No indications of excessive pressure ever noted according to the victim.
Use once-fired brass to make up your "safari handloads" even if it is a .223 Rem safari rifle.
To take a .458 Winchester Magnum along as backup, on any hunt is also a good idea.
Like Uncle John said:

[Linked Image]

If the .223 won't do it, the .458 will.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That kind of separation is stretching isn’t it? That always hits my mind as the fault of the reloader first and the brass second. Your thoughts sir?

Page 149 of 196 1 2 147 148 149 150 151 195 196

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.