Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

You can't ignore bore size. If you ignore bore size then my 338 Lapua with a 300 grain bullet at 2800 FPS has 5,000 plus foot pounds of energy so it is now a big bore
It is bore size period

Has to more than just bore size. As mentioned 375H&H and similar wildcats turn up on every bigbore forum on the net, and on very busy bigbore forums they can be high posting topics. 375 winchester on the other hand, nope. Even 45-70 far less airplay.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 158XTP

You can't ignore bore size. If you ignore bore size then my 338 Lapua with a 300 grain bullet at 2800 FPS has 5,000 plus foot pounds of energy so it is now a big bore
It is bore size period

Has to more than just bore size. As mentioned 375H&H and similar wildcats turn up on every bigbore forum on the net, and on very busy bigbore forums they can be high posting topics. 375 winchester on the other hand, nope. Even 45-70 far less airplay.

I agree - it's more common to link bore size and energy to the definition. I wouldn't class 45ACP as big bore.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On gun forums across the world someone is posting a thread ....I am about to get my first big bore .....What is the best, a Model 70 in 375 or a Sako etc. in 375..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 158XTP

It is bore size period

I agree - it's more common to link bore size and energy to the definition. I wouldn't class 45ACP as big bore.

A .40 caliber longrifle is slightly big for squirrel, pretty small for deer, not much of a "big bore". A .400 Jeffery is an elephant gun. The difference? The power. The power of modern rifles changed the definition of "big bore". So it's clearly not just the bore size.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You guys are adding a power level. Which is not tied to bore size, "it is BIG BORE" power level and bore size ie 2 different things

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You guys are adding a power level. Which is not tied to bore size, "it is BIG BORE" power level and bore size ie 2 different things

All about the common usage of a word or phrase. "Calibre" being a perfect example in the world of guns. Just about every time the word Calibre is used what is really meant is Cartridge.

Look here https://weatherby.com/store/markv-accumark/ Scroll down and there is a drop down list headed Calibre.

Actually even "bore size" in common use is bullet diameter. In common usage when "big" is added to "bore" it means power and/or case capacity. If Winchester was to chamber for the 375/06 you can bet it would not be in the same rifles as they chamber for the 375, 416 and 458

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire

All about the common usage of a word or phrase. "Calibre" being a perfect example in the world of guns. Just about every time the word Calibre is used what is really meant is Cartridge.

Look here https://weatherby.com/store/markv-accumark/ Scroll down and there is a drop down list headed Calibre.

Actually even "bore size" in common use is bullet diameter. In common usage when "big" is added to "bore" it means power and/or case capacity. If Winchester was to chamber for the 375/06 you can bet it would not be in the same rifles as they chamber for the 375, 416 and 458

And that is the problem. Bore size and life is simpler. The 375 H&H was a suseecfull medium bore used against dangerous game successfully but is is still a medium

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

And that is the problem. Bore size and life is simpler. The 375 H&H was a suseecfull medium bore used against dangerous game successfully but is is still a medium

It might well be a medium for you and any others but for the vast majority as well as gun makers the 375 is a big bore. If you were to start a guns/hunting site and had forums for Small Bore, Medium Bore and Big Bore then what would be you cut off for Big Bores forum. If you made it 45 and several on this thread have said big bore is 45 and over then without the 375 your Big Bores forum would not be very active.

That case capacity is a factor can be seen by posts on big bore forums. People don't start topics on the 44 Magnum etc. on a Big Bores forum.

As a side note, do you use the word Calibre instead of Cartridge?

158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it is hard to maintain the 375 as a medium bore when yet another bigbore forum fills up with 375 posts. wink
4 topics in the top 10 as we speak.
It may not seem big to those of us running 500 and 585 class guns, but it certainly gets the peoples vote.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
.375 is more where the medium bores end as you can load them with medium bore bullet weights and in today's market, that is more likely the majority choice.
Lots of premium bullet weights under 270 grains out there and they co-align with the .338 market more than the big bore segment.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It might well be a medium for you and any others but for the vast majority as well as gun makers the 375 is a big bore. If you were to start a guns/hunting site and had forums for Small Bore, Medium Bore and Big Bore then what would be you cut off for Big Bores forum. If you made it 45 and several on this thread have said big bore is 45 and over then without the 375 your Big Bores forum would not be very active.

That case capacity is a factor can be seen by posts on big bore forums. People don't start topics on the 44 Magnum etc. on a Big Bores forum.

As a side note, do you use the word Calibre instead of Cartridge?

Just because people post about the 338, 9.3, and 375 mediums in the big bore forum doesn’t miraculously make them a big bore

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
.375 is more where the medium bores end as you can load them with medium bore bullet weights and in today's market, that is more likely the majority choice.
Lots of premium bullet weights under 270 grains out there and they co-align with the .338 market more than the big bore segment.

Exactly

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Exactly

What John says about the bullets is correct and undoubtedly is a reflection of the widespread use of the various 375s and their velocity.

On the other hand the M70 Express rifle is 375, 416 and 458. The 378 Wby, like their 416 and 460, is not available in the lower price versions of the Mark V but the 338/378 is available. The Vanguard® Dangerous Game Rifle is 375 H&H.

Have a look at a whole lot of custom wood/blue guns and pick out all the rifles that have quarter ribs and they be pretty much all 375 and bigger. The few small caibres with a quarter rib will often be part of a pair and the other part being 375 and up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When released in 1912, it was considered
a medium bore and I seriously doubt H&H
have altered their orig. view.

Pre-war 375 magnum mausers, Westley Richards
.318 mausers and Rigby 416 mausers of the same
period don't seem to have quarter ribs.
_Holland&Holland still produce new 375 bolt rifles
without quarter ribs.

From a commercial point of view it is 375 and that is where the market sees things.

Then as was mentioned the 375 is the minimum calibre for dangerous game in Africa.

Laws in Africa don't state 'big bore' as legal minimum.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Exactly

What John says about the bullets is correct and undoubtedly is a reflection of the widespread use of the various 375s and their velocity.

On the other hand the M70 Express rifle is 375, 416 and 458. The 378 Wby, like their 416 and 460, is not available in the lower price versions of the Mark V but the 338/378 is available. The Vanguard® Dangerous Game Rifle is 375 H&H.

Have a look at a whole lot of custom wood/blue guns and pick out all the rifles that have quarter ribs and they be pretty much all 375 and bigger. The few small caibres with a quarter rib will often be part of a pair and the other part being 375 and up.

Nice but it is still a medium bore, all of that doesn't increase the bore size

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Starman
When released in 1912, it was considered
a medium bore and I seriously doubt H&H
have altered their orig. view.

without quarter ribs.

From a commercial point of view it is 375 and that is where the market sees things.

Then as was mentioned the 375 is the minimum calibre for dangerous game in Africa.

Laws in Africa don't state 'big bore' as legal minimum.

Agreed

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Exactly

A large amount of dangerous game has been taken with medium bores. In fact Bell took hundreds of elephants with small bores. The game hunted doesn't increase the bore size

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
375 Holland & Holland was the British response
to 9,3x62, so I take that they created a medium
bore to rival another medium bore.

Harry Selby wrote that he witnessed clients
shoot better with 375 than with 'heavy doubles'.
I take that to mean they shot better when not
using a big bore.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Then why was a "big bore" a lot bigger in the 1800s? Is a .458 a small bore?

Last edited by Goosey; 01/31/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Starman

without quarter ribs.

I didn't say they did. What I said is you look at a lot of wood/blue custom guns it is 375 and up where you see the quarter ribs.

Perhaps you can advise Weatherby that the 378 is a medium and should be in the same rifles as the 338/378 and the same for Winchester and the 375 and 338 smile

Isn't good that we resolve things here:)

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.