Print Thread
Hop To
J
jelmore Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Any word on what’s happening with the custom shop following the acquisition by Ruger? I bought an 1895 SBL several years ago when the quality control was poor, and the action is rough and the stock is very poorly fit to metal. I was in love with the idea of the gun and didn’t pay enough attention to the details when buying it. I contacted Marlin last year and to fix it, they offered me a deal to convert to the Modern Hunter. Of course I delayed and now the custom shop seems closed. Bad call on my part because the Modern Hunters got rave reviews.

Now I’m wondering how to get this gun in shape.

GB1

J
jelmore Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Or any suggestions on who I could send it to to do the work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are a millionaire, Turnbull does outstanding work.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Longhunters can possibly get the action smoothed up for you. I don’t know just how much wood work they do, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Disassemble it. Polish the parts to remove any burrs or rough machining with 400, 800 grit or 1000. You can shim the furniture to make it fit better using strips of plastic from blister packs.

Polish the bolt assembly with metal polish.

No need to alter ANY specs on the parts.

Smooth the loading gate "crescent". You can carefully file, NOT grind (to make it thinner) the part of the loading gate that is screwed to the receiver to make it easier to load cartridges.

Lubricate correctly to prevent any galling of metal surfaces.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jelmore
Or any suggestions on who I could send it to to do the work?

Its purty easy to clean & polish a Marlin action

You should know how to disassemble & clean well too

Just have the correct fitting screw drivers

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9YrijjCxI

Note: Not particularly necessary to remove the magazine on a new rifle.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger is showing no signs so far that they're going to be willing to work on JM or REP stamped Marlins

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
Ruger is showing no signs so far that they're going to be willing to work on JM or REP stamped Marlins

A little too early I would suggest.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As you are likely aware, the Remington Outdoor Company recently faced some financial difficulties that forced it into an unfortunate bankruptcy. This proceeding resulted in the sale of all of the Company’s assets, including its intellectual property, brands, fixed assets, machinery, and tooling. Most liabilities, including open orders (even if pre-paid), warranty claims, and contractual obligations, were discharged by the bankruptcy proceeding.
To be clear, our purchase of Marlin from Remington was not for an operational firearms manufacturing company, but rather for the assets associated with the Marlin brand. Specifically, the product designs, intellectual property, machinery and tooling required to make these great products.
At this stage, because we do not yet have parts, equipment, or expertise, we are unable to service existing Marlin firearms or honor any warranty offered by the Remington Outdoor Company. We hope you appreciate the constraints that limit our ability to take care of firearms made prior to our acquisition. In the future, we certainly will service Marlin firearms produced by Ruger utilizing the same high standards consumers have come to expect from Ruger for over 70 years

IC B3

J
jelmore Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you all for the help!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heard on an interview on Gun Talk w/ Tom Gresham that Ruger was NOT going to do warranty work on guns that they did not build. Good business move, bad for the consumer.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTF double tap

Last edited by Cowboybart; 02/12/21.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Heard on an interview on Gun Talk w/ Tom Gresham that Ruger was NOT going to do warranty work on guns that they did not build. Good business move, bad for the consumer.

Yup

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.