-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger is a brand I just don't buy much. Unless it's a .22 auto, they just don't have much that's interesting to me. I currently own two Rugers, and I'll be selling those soon.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I do like Ruger's 45 Lightweight Commander frame, which has a titanium insert to prevent damage from sharp edged JHP. That pistol tempts me as much as anything they make.

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911CommanderStyle/specSheets/6720.html

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned and carried LW commanders for over 30 years now, I have yet to damage a feed ramp. Solution to a theoretical problem mostly.

People see the "wear" on the feed ramp and think it's wearing through the hardened part of the anodizing, when it's really just the color layer, the hardened layer is clear, so it's still there. Type 3 is harder than steel at 50 on the C scale.

I understand the theory, and I have even seen a couple of damaged feed ramps. I have tried to replicate the damage and I have been unable to replicate...those who are doing it, are truly over-achievers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their go to response seems to be to simply replace the gun with another one off the line. I am on my third Wrangler with warranty replacement. Admittedly a Wrangler is at the low end of the price scale, but they seem to just toss the warranty gun out rather than trying to fix it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've seen it on Colts and it ain't like you. can polish it out.

The sensible answer to the question is G30/S/SF.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It seems to me that most of Ruger's efforts are being directed to the polymer framed autoloader market,..which makes sense. They're what everybody wants and Ruger has decided to manufacture some that work very well but don't empty your bank account.

The LCP series was a big hit for them and the Security 9 is getting very popular.

The only Rugers I've bought in recent years is an LCP and a Security 9. I've not found any problems with either of them.

I've beaten the LCP up pretty good and it just keeps running.

Years ago Ruger introduced their Security Six revolvers to compete with S&W K frames and sold a lot of them.

They're doing the same thing by challenging Glock with their Security 9.

Ruger isn't a particularly innovative company. But they're very good at identifying a popular market segment and introducing firearms that compete with them at a significantly lower price.

I think the Security 9 is going to be one of their biggest successes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Polymer handguns are EASILY the most profitable market in firearms today; and has been for at least 25 years now. The profit margins are VERY thick on polymer guns, typically over 100%. Those profits are thinning as times goes on and more makers get into the game...but even if they cut the profit margin by 50%, those guns would still be the most profitable.

When you're forging and milling, it takes time and expensive equipment. It also produces expensive consumables in the production process in the form of milling bits, polishing pads, and cutting fluid. Polymer guns are 85% injection molded, stamped; that's cheap to make. Molding and stamping are also extremely precise methods of manufacturing, so the guns tend to have less issues and fewer returns.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Polymer handguns are EASILY the most profitable market in firearms today; and has been for at least 25 years now. The profit margins are VERY thick on polymer guns, typically over 100%. Those profits are thinning as times goes on and more makers get into the game...but even if they cut the profit margin by 50%, those guns would still be the most profitable.

When you're forging and milling, it takes time and expensive equipment. It also produces expensive consumables in the production process in the form of milling bits, polishing pads, and cutting fluid. Polymer guns are 85% injection molded, stamped; that's cheap to make. Molding and stamping are also extremely precise methods of manufacturing, so the guns tend to have less issues and fewer returns.

Yeah. I noticed that a while ago. Compared to a revolver, a polymer framed autoloader is very easy to manufacture.

The hardest part to it is making the mold for the frames. The slides are mostly straight line milling that a CNC machining center can knock out like shelling peas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The polymer revolvers are probably Ruger's margin champions.

Ruger and Taurus are waging (and winning) a price war against the smaller makers of polymer pistols.

At present, Glock seems largely insulated from pricing pressure due to brand cachet and (discounted) L.E. and military sales.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I took a look see at a .22 SP-101 a few months ago. Everything looked good until I tried the double action, must have been 18 lbs at least.

Conversely I had a very early .22 LR full lug 4” barrel with the windage only adjustable rear sight that was a really nice revolver. I think I paid $199.00 for it on sale at a local shop.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a Charter Bulldog with a barrel like that, looked like threads.
Sent it back UNFIRED . . . .
Got it back, would not consistently fire the rounds in the chambers . . .
Sent it back . . .
Got it back
Still will not fire consistently then jammed . . .
hammer block safety broke off . . .
Sent it back . . .
Got it back still will not fire 5 rounds every time . . .
Seems like I sent it back again . . .
Got it back, STILL will not always fire 5 rounds, thought they will all fire after continuing to pull the trigger most of the time

Have THROWN it to the back of the safe several time including last months trial.
May all of charters employees that touched this gun suffer the invasion of lice.

Once in a while bad guns get out and should be destroyed and a new one issued, though that solution does not seem to have worked in your case.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully this saga is nearing its end.

Sent the latest revolver back last week, that's 4 out of 4 that had to be sent back in case anyone's lost count. wink

Got an email this morning from the lady I'd been dealing with all this time that Ruger will honor my request for a full refund. I'd emailed her a copy of the gunbroker invoice when I sent the revolver back. It's supposed to take 2-3 weeks for the check to get through their accounting department so perhaps it will get here the first or second week of February.

Looking at current prices I could have sold it locally for easily $100 more than I paid for it but just couldn't bring myself to foist it off on someone like that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to see you doing the right thing.

This is really disappointing. I don't think I can buy another Ruger any time soon - certainly not any Ruger revolver, sight unseen. Pisses me off, 'cause I'm a stockholder.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good for you Jim, for getting that dud out of circulation. I'm sorry we had the same experience, 22 years apart.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all for letting me cry on your collective shoulders. wink

Still have some good Rugers, I love my left handed Hawkeyes and an older GP100 and Blackhawk. Might keep an eye out for a good pre-2000 SP101 3" with the fixed sights. I had one back then and it was accurate and POI was right on top of the front sight at 15 yards for any 158 grain bullet. Trouble is nowadays lots of folks have the same idea and the older ones are selling for as much as the new ones.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cut yer losses, thank your lucky stars, whatever. But walking away from this seems to be the only move that makes sense.

Have you looked at a S&W 360 Pro? Yeah, yeah, lawyer lock, different brand & money. But damn what a nice unit in the frame size your after.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hate to pick on Ruger since they've treated me so well on service in the past.

1st time was when I got a beautiful English stocked 28 gauge Red Label for a song because it was worn out. It had been someones skeet gun. I sent it in to Ruger to get a quote on repairs but instead they overhauled the gun with completely new internals and wouldn't except payment.

Second instance was with the $399 Walmart closeout Mini 14s. I got the last one a local store had but pulling it from the box the stock was cracked through behind the magazine well. The gal at the gun counter offered another 10% off so at $359 it was a steal even if I had to buy a new stock. Again Ruger wouldn't sell me a stock but sent a new one no charge.

I own a ton of Rugers but the only one bad from the factory was a SP101 in .22LR . It is one of the 4.2 inch guns from 2013 I think. I got it at a Sportsmans Warehouse but didn't handle the gun I purchased. The salesman put the display gun back and grabbed my fresh one from the back.
Got it home opened the case pulled the plastic bag off only to see the ramp on the barrel where the front sight attaches was machined off kilter so the sight really listed to the left.

One call to Ruger printed the label and shipped the gun. Two weeks lated it came back with a new barrel and it's been a great great shooter since. I'd love to get another 101 in .327 Fed but when that happens it will get a good looking over before it comes home with me.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've been fortunate enough to order 3 Ruger Bearcats in the last two years.
A stainless, a stainless Shopkeeper, and the Lipsey's Blue Shopkeeper.
No problems with any except the blue Shopkeeper.

When I picked it up after ordering it from CDNN Investments, I couldn't pull the hammer all the way back.
I found a video on how to disassemble the gun, so I took it apart. Everything looked fine, but I polished all the trigger and hammer parts lightly with a Dremel, a cotton buffing pad, and some polishing compound.
After a light coat of oil and reassembly, the gun runs perfectly.

But, it should never have left the factory in that condition.

Edited to add:
When my 15 year old LCP started having extraction problems, they sent me a paid shipping label and got it back to me in 3 weeks.
Other than the serialized frame, they basically built me a new gun.
It runs perfectly.

Last edited by mini14jac; 02/11/21.

<><
HE>i
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A friend as attending an informal shoot and that year one of the gunzine writers was in attendance.
The issue came up and the writer opined that the buyer had become QA/QC for many of the companies.
Ship it and if it was bad they owner will ship it back til we get it fixed or not.
My Bulldog is an example . . .

Before it was even shot it went back for a new barrel
The barrel was so rough looked like it had internal threads in the grooves.
Was showing it to a friend and he asked why I had shot BP in is and allowed it to pit.
I was so involved in the thread look i had not noticed where there were "chunks" missing
Back to Charter
Got it back and it would randomly fire several of the chambers some on the second or third try.
Back to Charter
Got it back and still random firing and then jammed after a few attempts to get a full cylinder to fire
Looked and the hammer drop safety (or whatever Charter calls it) i lying under the hammer.
BACK to Charter
Got it back and test firing gave me a gun that randomly fired the ammo.

THREW it into the back of the safe

One thing over the years IT NEVER PERFORMS and always FLYS to the back of the safe.

Obviously Charter employees never looked into the problem and I get too PI$$ED off to take it down and find the problem.
Hammer block safety and frame/hammer are bound to be the problem but I get teed off before I finish getting it out the safe to work on it.
I'm teed off now just typing about it.
A SAFE QUEEN FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS!
Am I condemning all of Charters products including other Bulldogs?
No friend and several people I know have owned a Bulldog and they were all fine shooting revolvers.

There is a picture of a S&W barrel posted on some web site now with that same threaded look.

Ought to really perform like a file on any type of projie.

Last edited by LouisB; 02/11/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.