Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Just got back from the range. The pre war 99R was one in the arsenal. My hand loads shot decent. then shot some FACTORY Remington 150 gr Core Lokts. The 4th one sounded really wimpy, just a pop. Luckily I am somewhat coherent and observant. The factory round apparently wasn't charged. Only primed. To make a short story long, it squibbed. Had I tried to do a next shot, things had the potential to be really ugly. The bullet was barely stuck in the lands, easy extraction. Ruined my Savage 99 outing for the day. Maybe I'll write them folks a nasty gram and splain why I may never buy their product again.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy crap.. glad you caught that!!!

Seen it happen twice. Caught by shooters both times, fortunately.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More important to provide the lot number. How old is the ammo? Remington ammo is now owned by Vista (CCI, Federal, Speers, etc) so complaning might not get to those responible. But notification might save someone else from running into the same problem with worse results. They might ask for the ammo back and replace it with better. I wouldn't shoot the rest.

PS...If you put each on the scale you should be able to determine if any others are no powder loads.

Last edited by Rick99; 01/24/21.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Bought two boxes from a gent at last years Savage get together in Noxin, PA. Have the Tennessee stamp on the boxes. Lot #R30SV2. Will weigh the remaining 36 rounds for sure prior to the next range outing.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yikes! Glad you caught it. That'll teach ya to use other people's loads, even loads made by folks in a factory, haha!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now where's Grogel Deluxe with his Groucho avatar?!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zoikes!! eek eek eek

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thank the Lord you are safe. Ken

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good you were paying attention! Iv had it happen a few times with handguns!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had it happen a long time ago when I was 10 or 11. I would not have noticed but I was shooting with my dad ( a requirement when I was that age ). He hollered at me not to shoot, checked the bore and explained what the deal was. Ever since then I pay close attention when shooting because you never know. Glad you avoided an unpleasant situation and good ear!

Last edited by damnesia; 01/24/21.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Glad your ok Jerry. I made a post on the club to let other members know. Strange thing is i have 7 boxes of that same number on my shelf that i had for quite a while. Are we sure that is a certain lot number or is that the actual part number?

Joe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had it happen with a 454 casull. Scared me white!
I didn't hear the squib. I usually count shots and if i lose track pop the cylinder. This time i had someone talking to me. Loaded the cylinder again and went hunting. Hunted a week and thought to put fresh loads. While doing it i saw crystals in the forcing cone. The primer shot the powder and bullet into the barrel without the powder burning. When i dug it out it was a full charge of lil gun. Relearned that day. Check and check again.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Are we sure that is a certain lot number or is that the actual part number?
Joe

Joe I agree, I think that is their product ID. Jerry, try looking on the back of the end flaps.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I had any of that same lot of ammo I would be weighing each round to guarantee the presence of a powder charge.

Observation/question: How did we get to calling a bullet stuck in a barrel a "squib"? Historically a squib load was a low velocity target/plinking load, and a bullet stuck in the barrel was, well, a bullet stuck in the barrel. Odd how erroneous usage of words worms its way into the common vernacular.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
About 10 yrs ago I was shooting up the last few rounds from a batch that I had reloaded 30 yrs ago, when I was just getting started reloading.
At the range & doubled up on hearing protection. When it didn’t fire right, my 1st thought was that I had put in a spent brass to practice my trigger pull. But I was pretty sure I had loaded a live round. It was a bolt action, so I easily removed the bolt..........no daylight thru the barrel.
I often wonder what would have happened if I had been hunting with a few deer in front of me!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We’ve all seen it in the shooting / hunting magazines almost on a monthly basis : warnings about potentially dangerous factory cartridges , powder ( spontaneous combust ) , primers , etc .

You’ve got to be naive and ignorant to think that the manufacturers are somehow immune to these dangerous mistakes and manufacturing irregularities .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine had a Swedish Mauser carbine blow up when the first round either didn't have any powder or the powder was bad. He was trying to shoot at a deer. He chambered the second round and blew the bolt right out. We found the bolt behind him. We think it went up and over his head. He had soot(?) on his face and was pretty shook up. It was ammo that had been bought with the rifle in the late 1950's.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll

You’ve got to be naive and ignorant to think that the manufacturers are somehow immune to these dangerous mistakes and manufacturing irregularities .

People who are paid not to make mistakes are doctors, airplane pilots and ammo manufactures. Yes, it happens, but when it does, it makes lawyers salivate. With todays technology, this shouldn't happen, when lives are potentially at risk. Just sayin.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few months ago my friend and neighbor brought his police positive up. He had 4 bullets stacked in the barrel . 32-20. Bulged like my cheeks eating icecream.
Why it didnt split i will never know. Took the sight off bobbed the 6 back to 4 put the sight back on and he was happy. I cried. Damn shame.
Factory Remingtons though they may have been as old as the gun.
He never noticed it. His teenage son noticed the first bullet half way out the muzzle . Lesson learned i hope.

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/27/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems a good time to show this again.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.