Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello all. I am new here and in need of a new firing pin for my Savage model 29 Premier Trail Blaze in 22s/l/lr.

I tried to load up pictures but keep getting the error message that my pictures are more that 67.6kb ?

Can anyone direct me to where I can order a firing pin. I'm coming up short on my research!

Last edited by MPat70; 01/22/21. Reason: Spelling

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Work hard ... play hard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MPat70, don't know how familiar you are with working with files or if your using a computer to access the forum. To post pictures pictures using the 'upload pictures function in the full editor they have to be under the maximum size allowed. You can reduce them in size using the paint program in windows, it's a guessing game to do so though. (hopefully someone will know a better way) Check the size of the original picture, have the folder it's in open in file explorer with the view set to details so you can see the size or right click on the image and left click on properties which shows the size. Open the file in paint and cut off any unneeded edges and save it under another name so you will still have the original, save a a .jpg or other format that does a lot of file size compression, then check the file size again. If it's still to large go back to paint and use the 'stretch- skew' function to reduce it size in X & Y by a %, this is just guess work and a pain in the rear, the file size will be reduced by a larger percentage than the picture size was, so it's a guessing game. I try to keep the pictures as close the the maximum size as possible to keep as much detail as possible. Reducing the picture to 60% to 70% can reduce the file size to 50% or smaller.

Larger pictures can be uploaded using the 'Image Gallery' under 'Miscellaneous Topics'.

Edited in - I have firing pins, I tried to PM you but got a message that your over your limit, they must not allow new members any PM's.... or you've been real busy chatting in private since you joined!

Last edited by GeneB; 01/22/21.

Gene
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Gene for the response. I will have to check on the image editor info.

I was able to locate the firing pin on Numrich and already ordered one but thanks anyway.

Do you have the magazine screw that holds the feed tube to the gun barrel? Can't locate one and have no idea the correct thread size.

Thanks also for the size of the ball bearing needed to keep the rounds from double feeding. I used a regular bb that works for now but have the correct size ordered. Thanks again.

Also as a side note: I'm looking for a bolt for a Stevens 15a.

This site doesn't allow for PM's on new accounts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MPat, I have the screws for the magazine, It's a slotted flat head #5-48, measuring a few they are between 0.235 & 0.240 long. Length is critical since the hole in counter bored for a spacer which leave few threads and the screw head must be fully recessed or it will interfere with the inner magazine tube. It also required a spacer between the barrel and magazine tube. The spacer is also a special piece turned to fit in a counter bore in barrel & counter sunk to take the tapered extrusion on the magazine tube. The spacer can be replaced with a couple very small lock washers.

The special high collar washer shown work for spacers and also as replacement for the lock washer under the forearm screws, standard washer have to large an outer diameter to fit in the hole. Early 29 used two different length screws for the forearm, both with lock washers, later they used two of the long screws and put a spacer in with the lock washer on one side, two of these lock washers work in place of the spacer and single washer. These were found at Menard's after trying a number of different washers including grinding down the OD on standard #10 lock washers.

PS I also have quite a few of the ball bearing from replacing them with new in a bike, If you need a used ball bearing for a bike they're 3 cents a piece, if you need a cartridge stop the same ones are 3 dollars apiece....... like Numrich.... wink

Attached Images
Savage 29 magazine screw & washer.jpg (29.36 KB, 75 downloads)

Gene
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
IGene, I have the ball bearing handled thanks.
I would purchase the screw and spacers for my mag. Tube. This is an early model 29 serial #74xx before they made changes to the lifter in the a & b models.
How much do you want for them?
Do you have a bolt body for a Stevens 15a single shot 22lr bolt action?
Same bolt body works on the 120, 125, 15, 15a, 15b & 15y
Thanks

Attached Images
IMG_20210122_133208_resize_67.jpg (24.7 KB, 66 downloads)
Last edited by MPat70; 01/23/21. Reason: Typo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MPat, did you look close at the pictures I posted of the locking surfaces in the receiver and the top of the bolt's in the other thread? It's hard to tell from the way the bolt is positioned in your picture but the firing pin to me suggests the top of the locking lugs on the bolt may have been ground down. The firing pin looks home made but comparing it to an original the top front looks lower that it should be, if the top front of that pin set even with the top front of the bolt than the bolt also has been ground down which I mentioned in the the other thread as something I've seen done when the locking surfaces in the receiver are really distorted.

I will sell you the parts but I want to make sure you are not putting money into a gun that really can't safely be repaired. More pictures to compare to.

Attached Images
Savage 29 bolts 009.jpg (63.56 KB, 68 downloads)
Savage 29 bolts 003.jpg (45.75 KB, 65 downloads)
Savage 29 bolts 004x.JPG (52.62 KB, 62 downloads)

Gene
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Might want to check that firing pin you ordered again ,,,,,Theres a separate listing for the Savage premier ....the 29s may not work https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/rifles-sav/premier-trailblazer

Work hard ... play hard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kdog, same gun, just different name. The Premier Trailblazers all seem to have the early version 29 bolt & lifter though. There isn't much difference but enough that they can't be interchanged. They have different numbers for the firing pins but I don't know why, might be the early one for the Premier Trailblazer, the newer version will fit, it will just be thinner on the bottom front as shown in the pictures. The schematics for the Savage Model 29 picture both versions of the firing pin but only have one listed that I see.

Gene
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (338reddog, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.