Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've taken woods hogs with a 9mm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've used both to shoot a lot of grouse and rabbits that got eaten. I've always wanted to hunt deer with a 9mm carbine. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

From a carbine, 9mm should hit about like a .357 Magnum from a four inch revolver barrel.

You really have to chrono the ammo to know, and then you have to figure out if the design parameters of the bullet are suitable for use out of a carbine. I have been comparing ammo in a Sig P365 XL against a Ruger PC Carbine. Barnes TAC-XPD 115 gr. +P chronographed within 1 fps in both guns, with a higher ES in the Ruger. One shot from each got into a third 1 gallon water jug. Speer standard pressure 124 Gold Dots showed a 157 fps difference between the two, but the shot I fired from the Sig got into the third 1 gallon water jug while 2 shots fired from the Ruger expanded much more but only got into the second 1 gallon water jug each time. In light of this thread, I will chronograph some 147 grain +P Buffalo Bore out of the Ruger this week, in addition to some Hornady 124 grain XTP Custom. (Of course, the Buffalo Bore sailed completely through 8 water jugs when fired from a Glock 19, and a Lehigh 115 Xtreme Penetrator got into a 9th, so I don't know how much penetration one needs.) I have videos and pictures of the tests if anyone is interested.

Cheyenne, it would be interesting to note what kind of wound channel those 115 gr Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators would produce. From your findings, they sure do penetrate. That's for sure.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Cheyenne, it would be interesting to note what kind of wound channel those 115 gr Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators would produce. From your findings, they sure do penetrate. That's for sure.

It's not a wound channel in an animal, but that third video I linked above, shows 115gr 10mm Xtreme Defenders blowing up some stuff.

Those leave my DW Bruin at an average of 1,753 fps. My Labradar would not register them until I tried changing the weapon setting on it from "Handgun" to "Rifle."

I think the fourth video shows the 140gr 10mm X Penetrator in ballistic gel. There are a bunch of 9mm videos that are easy to find on YouTube IIRC. I also found some first-hand reports on how the Lehigh bullets performed on actual game, but that was a few years ago. Some of them showed the autopsy results while butchering the deer. One guy blew them through an extra BB skull he had laying around. In one of the vids I posted above, the XP sailed through thick bulletproof glass, whereas a FMJ would not, and the XP didn't lose a molecule of mass in doing so. The faster XP also penetrated further through concrete than the fast HC load did, which surprised me a bit. The HCs went further in water.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by local_dirt

It's not a wound channel in an animal, but that third video I linked above, shows 115gr 10mm Xtreme Defenders blowing up some stuff.

Those leave my DW Bruin at an average of 1,753 fps. My Labradar would not register them until I tried changing the weapon setting on it from "Handgun" to "Rifle."

I think the fourth video shows the 140gr 10mm X Penetrator in ballistic gel. There are a bunch of 9mm videos that are easy to find on YouTube IIRC. I also found some first-hand reports on how the Lehigh bullets performed on actual game, but that was a few years ago. Some of them showed the autopsy results while butchering the deer. One guy blew them through an extra BB skull he had laying around. In one of the vids I posted above, the XP sailed through thick bulletproof glass, whereas a FMJ would not, and the XP didn't lose a molecule of mass in doing so. The faster XP also penetrated further through concrete than the fast HC load did, which surprised me a bit. The HCs went further in water.

Not surprised that the XP went further in concrete that the hardcast. That ud exactly what I would expect

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
Not surprised that the XP went further in concrete that the hardcast. That ud exactly what I would expect

Yeah, the military scientists and engineers seem to believe, and they should know, that the harder the armor, the more speed you need for the projectile. I have read that this similarly applies to hard bone, but that is against the conventional wisdom it seems.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yeah, the military scientists and engineers seem to believe, and they should know, that the harder the armor, the more speed you need for the projectile. I have read that this similarly applies to hard bone, but that is against the conventional wisdom it seems.

Bone and armor aren't related in those terms. I learned in the late 70's that it takes speed to penetrate steel and hardness to peneyrate concrete. Bone can be broken and or penetrated both slow or fast projectiles and requires a bit of hardness but nothing like concrete. Expanding bullets do not penetrate concrete well at all

Soft bullets will penetrate steal if the velocity is fast enough

Last edited by jwp475; 01/24/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting. Thanks JWP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think the fourth video shows the 140gr 10mm X Penetrator in ballistic gel. There are a bunch of 9mm videos that are easy to find on YouTube IIRC. . . .The faster XP also penetrated further through concrete than the fast HC load did, which surprised me a bit. The HCs went further in water.

When I did a mixed media test with 9mm Xtreme Penetrators, the bullet smashed a bone after it exited the 16 inch gel block. It knocked down the rib package on the back so the next two just sailed away. The third round exited the gel block so fast that it ruffled blue jean material that was on the table. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ys0V7kiO7Q
LD, I did not measure the cavity in gel, but you can see that it did not just pencil through,

I got the same results in water from both the 9mm Xtreme Penetrators and the Buffalo Bore hard cast. I only had 8 jugs for the earlier Buffalo Bore test, but I am confident it would have stopped in the 9th if I had placed an extra jug in the lineup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Nj3CTcjAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ursfz1Wg8hA

9mm is not legal for hunting big game in Wyoming, so it is not something I could test other than in self defense. (10 mm isn't either because of the minimum overall cartridge length requirement of 1.5 inches.)

FYI, I got a flyer from Midway yesterday that indicated that it had Xtreme Penetrator projectiles in stock. I just ordered some 9mm and .380 Xtreme Penetrator projectiles. Lehigh's loading data on its website is spot on and replicates the factory loads in each caliber.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff Cheyenne. Thanks for posting.

Some of the state laws are incredible. You can use a .357, but not a 10mm that puts out 850 ft-lbs of energy?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Good stuff Cheyenne. Thanks for posting.

He does a very good job on his tests

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot a small whitetail doe with a 9mm Black Talon. Very short range, maybe 50'. Nickel size hole going in, the petals sheared off and did significant damage to the lungs. The rest of the bullet was imbedded in the off-side ribs. Dead deer, but it took awhile, once was enough, and I wouldn't do it again unless it was all I had and I needed the meat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheyenne, great stuff. And, thanks for the heads up on the Xtreme Penetrator bullets at Midway. Picked up 250.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I shot a small whitetail doe with a 9mm Black Talon. Very short range, maybe 50'. Nickel size hole going in, the petals sheared off and did significant damage to the lungs. The rest of the bullet was imbedded in the off-side ribs. Dead deer, but it took awhile, once was enough, and I wouldn't do it again unless it was all I had and I needed the meat.

I'm of the opinion that the goal, when using a 9mm (or similar cartridge designed more for self-defense against people) that the best option is to put a few shots into the quarry, if it is deer or bigger. The lack of velocity means that bullet expansion is going to sacrifice penetration, and penetration will require a narrow wound channel. Physics.

Even with new-fangled bullets like the Xtreme Penetrator or Defender, the bullet only has the energy it has, and can only destroy the tissue that it has the energy to destroy, either through a shorter, wider wound channel, or through a longer, narrower one.

That's why I like non-deforming or minimally-deforming cast bullets for such purposes. They won't fail to penetrate or to break bones they contact, but the wound channel will be narrow, so the more of them through the chest, the better. And breaking shoulder and leg bones is better still.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Bone and armor aren't related in those terms. I learned in the late 70's that it takes speed to penetrate steel and hardness to peneyrate concrete. Bone can be broken and or penetrated both slow or fast projectiles and requires a bit of hardness but nothing like concrete. Expanding bullets do not penetrate concrete well at all

Soft bullets will penetrate steal if the velocity is fast enough

Jwp4.55, steel cant be generalised. Too many ballistic differences between mild steel and hardplate. Soft bullets will penetrate mild or soft steel. They will splash on hard plate pretty easily. Its why they use it for ranges. Penetrators in bullets is what makes them penetrate steels generally.

158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies fellas, and interesting reading on a whole range of subjects, rabbits to armor plate(Not the most expected substance to take on with a 38 special but good to hear about it anyway)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.