Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is your opinion of a Baikal combo 7x57 x12 gauge?

What is one in excellent condition worth?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
;Heavy, but seem to be well made and have decent wood for the price. I paid $575 NIB for my .223x12 at a recent auction. A .308x12, also NIB, sold for more. I sold an older 6.5 Swede x12 for about $600 less than a year ago. The Swede was quite accurate with a scope. The rear open sight is mounted pretty far forward so you have a short sight radius if using the open sights.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There's a 7x57 - 12 gauge on Guns International that looks good but at $875 I guess it's a little high.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I think so unless there is a substantial premium for the 7mm. The NIB 308 sold at auction back in November for significantly less than that ($700 something if I remember correctly).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
What is your opinion of a Baikal combo 7x57 x12 gauge?

What is one in excellent condition worth?

I have two of these combo guns one a 223 x12gauge the other a 308 x12gauge, bought them both new at the LGS

The 223 x12ga I bought about 15 years ago was marketed by Remington as a SPR94 but was nothing more than a stamp on the box

The 308 x12ga I bought about 10 years ago and both were the same price $549

Both have the same weaknesses..........for one the recoil pads need to be changed before use, the Russian rubber pads are harder than the wood they are screwed to (a simple fix but necessary). The other problem not such an easy fix, the triggers are dreadful. the trigger pull has my gauge bottomed out so I'm guessing 6lbs+. I deal with a couple different gunsmith's and they all refuse to attempt a trigger fix.

On the bright side I mounted a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28 Scout scope on the 223 x12ga and was shocked at how accurate it was, it shot 1 1/2"groups or less with several different kinds of ammo at 100 yards. I patterned the shotgun and was also impressed, they come with 4 different choke tubes. Have not been quite as impressed with the 308

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought an IZH-94 in 12/6.5x55 back in 2000. It was a heavy POS with a rifle barrel that shot patterns, not groups. Mine had a shotgun barrel with a fixed choke that seemed to be in the modified to full range and the center of the pattern was 10 o'clock high and left. My IZH-94 was a poster child for anyone who believes that cheap combination guns suck.

I sold it to a friend who was convinced that he could make it a shooter, but after a year and a pile of rounds fired he gave up on it. He offered to sell it back to me for $200. I declined, but given what people are willing to pay for them now, I probably should have paid the $200. Maybe I should call him and see if he still has it for sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought an IZH-94 in 12/6.5x55 back in 2000. It was a heavy POS with a rifle barrel that shot patterns, not groups. Mine had a shotgun barrel with a fixed choke that seemed to be in the modified to full range and the center of the pattern was 10 o'clock high and left. My IZH-94 was a poster child for anyone who believes that cheap combination guns suck.

I sold it to a friend who was convinced that he could make it a shooter, but after a year and a pile of rounds fired he gave up on it. He offered to sell it back to me for $200. I declined, but given what people are willing to pay for them now, I probably should have paid the $200. Maybe I should call him and see if he still has it for sale.

My 12ga 7X57R shot great. The triggers on most combo guns without set triggers are generally bad for rifle shooting, even on pedigree makers' guns.

As to the shotgun and rifle not shooting together, the Bikals can be regulated, or at least mine could, to shoot together. The shotgun can be zeroed to the sights, then regulate the rifle to come in to the POA.

The Baikals no doubt have lemons among the ranks. They no doubt have some quality control issues. The Savage 24s suffer this, but they can't be easily regulated.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
EAA sent me 4 different wedges, or whatever the proper nomenclature is for them, none of which resolved the problem and then EAA stopped answering my emails or returning my telephone calls. The last email that I got from EAA amounted to "What did you expect from a $350 combination gun?". The guy who bought it from me tried shimming the largest wedge and still didn't get it regulated. I was surprised that EAA didn't provide several different wedges and instruction on how to use them, as the owner's manual doesn't provide any instructions on how to regulate the barrels.

As an aside, I called the guy who bought it from me and he told me that he not only has the one that I sold to him, but a second one that is unfired and within 100 serial numbers. He said that he gave up trying to regulate the barrels on the one that he bought from me, so he mounted a scope to shoot the rifle barrel. He said that the rifle barrel shoots quite well, given the crappy trigger.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Based on my experience with a double rifle version in 9.3x74R I think they are excellent value. I had no difficulty regulating the two barrels to shoot such that the top barrel's groups were just above those of the bottom barrel, as they should be, using the jack-screw a the midpoint of the barrels. Combined groups of about 2 1/2" at 100 metres (about 2 moa) - more than accurate enough for big game - but each individual barrel was a good deal more accurate than that. The bores are hard chromed too, which is a big plus.

I have found the rifle to be good handling and reliable, and have shot a good bit of game with it including running pigs and buffalo. The triggers are easily fettled if you find a gunsmith who knows what he is doing, and when I had mine done I had the safety converted to non-automatic too.

The top dovetail suits rimfire type rings. I used steel, lever release ones from Lynx, and they work well. For a combination I'd suggest a 1.5 - 6x or something like that. I've found this magnification range works perfectly on combinations and my drilling - 1.5x is low enough to use the shotgun effectively even on flushed birds.

HTH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I deal with a couple different gunsmith's and they all refuse to attempt a trigger fix.

I worked in a gunshop when the Baikals came out. Quality control is spotty, to put it mildly. We had one that was machined so sloppily that we couldn't get the barrels onto the receiver.

Our gunsmith finally refused to work on them for any reason.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own the 12ga / 223rem and I love it. Bought it in 2015 and I think I gave $515 to a seller on gunbroker before shipping and FFL transfer. The triggers are stiff, no doubt, but on mine there is no creep. I have learned to shoot it with the stiff triggers. My sight in method has been to sight the rifle barrel in for 100 yards dead on and this equates to the shotgun shooting about 6'' high at 40 yards. I hold low when I aim with the shotgun barrel.

Ive used mine in just about every season, and have killed squirrels, fall turkeys, spring gobblers, deer during antlerless season, and even a goose. I mainly use it during spring and fall turkey seasons, where it is legal in WV and as its worked out, Im on a dead even split with how many gobblers ive killed using both barrels.

I wish the concept of a combo gun was more common in the U.S. and there were more options available. It seems the only 2 options are the baikals and beat up savage 24 options, and then you go to the oober high dollar options (sauer, merkel, etc.) Theres no middle ground with a combo / drilling type gun.

[Linked Image from i.vgy.me]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to search a little harder, there are lots of middle ground combos out there, Valmets, Tikka, Brno's, Voere, American Arms and a couple more that I can't think of right now. Yes they are very handy. I use them for predator hunting, a Brno and a Bernardelli.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Based on my experience with a double rifle version in 9.3x74R I think they are excellent value. I had no difficulty regulating the two barrels to shoot such that the top barrel's groups were just above those of the bottom barrel, as they should be, using the jack-screw a the midpoint of the barrels. Combined groups of about 2 1/2" at 100 metres (about 2 moa) - more than accurate enough for big game - but each individual barrel was a good deal more accurate than that. The bores are hard chromed too, which is a big plus.

I have found the rifle to be good handling and reliable, and have shot a good bit of game with it including running pigs and buffalo. The triggers are easily fettled if you find a gunsmith who knows what he is doing, and when I had mine done I had the safety converted to non-automatic too.

The top dovetail suits rimfire type rings. I used steel, lever release ones from Lynx, and they work well. For a combination I'd suggest a 1.5 - 6x or something like that. I've found this magnification range works perfectly on combinations and my drilling - 1.5x is low enough to use the shotgun effectively even on flushed birds.

HTH

They made a big mistake not exporting them in 9,3X74R to the USA. It would have sold well, but they thought if iy ain't a 'murrican round we wouldn't recognize it or buy it.

I looked everywhere for the 9,3 DR. I had two in 45-70 and played with them out of curiosity. They're so light they kick like a mule, but they worked OK and were easily regulated. The 12/7X57R BBF I had was pretty OK, not Bond Street, but serviceable and accurate.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
"On the bright side I mounted a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28 Scout scope on the 223 x12ga and was shocked at how accurate it was, it shot 1 1/2"groups or less..."

No kidding about its accuracy! With my bad eyes, a 6-7# trigger, and a 2-7x Leupold, twice I've put five .223 rounds into 1.5"---at 300 yards!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari

HTH

They made a big mistake not exporting them in 9,3X74R to the USA. It would have sold well, but they thought if iy ain't a 'murrican round we wouldn't recognize it or buy it.

I looked everywhere for the 9,3 DR. I had two in 45-70 and played with them out of curiosity. They're so light they kick like a mule, but they worked OK and were easily regulated. The 12/7X57R BBF I had was pretty OK, not Bond Street, but serviceable and accurate.

Winchester advertised the 101 Grand European combination and O/U rifles in 9.3x74R. I recall seeing one of each. Bearrr264 bought one of the combination guns from L.L. Cote in Errol, NH, when we were in graduate school. I don't remember much about it, other than he sold it to some upscale gun shop in East Lyme, CT. I think that the shotgun barrel shot fine, but the limited variety of factory ammo was a problem. IIRC, the 101 combination guns didn't have any way to regulate the barrels, so that might have been the root cause, not the ammo.

BTW, my buddy who has the NIB IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 said that he'd sell it through me for $700 shipped and insured to 47 U.S. States, all buy AK, CA, and HI.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by luv2safari

HTH

Winchester advertised the 101 Grand European combination and O/U rifles in 9.3x74R. I recall seeing one of each. Bearrr264 bought one of the combination guns from L.L. Cote in Errol, NH, when we were in graduate school. I don't remember much about it, other than he sold it to some upscale gun shop in East Lyme, CT. I think that the shotgun barrel shot fine, but the limited variety of factory ammo was a problem. IIRC, the 101 combination guns didn't have any way to regulate the barrels, so that might have been the root cause, not the ammo.

BTW, my buddy who has the NIB IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 said that he'd sell it through me for $700 shipped and insured to 47 U.S. States, all buy AK, CA, and HI.

Yes, I've seen the odd example of the Winchester DR and combination here in Oz too. I like the 101 action - had a Pigeon Grade 12 ga for years myself, and I've used a few others.The combination and DR versions were very nicely finished, but IIRC they suffered poor regulation, and of course it was not adjustable. I remember reading somewhere that it was set without test firing. They were also at a price point well above that of the Baikal of course.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.