Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey all,

I am thinking about picking up a fairly cheap rifle to take advantage of (this is quite relative) ammo that is still available and cheap, and be able to shoot without needing to reload to have fun without breaking the bank. Filling the freezer now and then would be a nice thing too.

The Ruger American in 7.62x39mm stands out here. We can get Savage Axis scouts with 20" barrels, in stainless, and they look great except for the magazine. Its a 3 shot, and I have read complaints saying it works better with 2 than with 3.

Has anyone had an American Ranch for long enough or shot it enough to comment on reliability/durability? I know "feels cheap" is very subjective....do they stand up to lots of use well?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one in 7.62x39 and 450 Bushmaster. My nephew has one in 5.56. All have been boringly reliable and all shoot lites out. My 7.62x39 is MOA at 100 yards with Hornady ammo. The 450 BM is MOA at 100 and my nephew’s 5.56 is less than MOA at 100 and it has shot everything we have put through it MOA to less than MOA.

I had one of the original RARs in 300 BO. It wouldn’t shoot for squat. Light primer strikes galore. Sent it back to Ruger twice. Finally traded it because I was tired of messing with it. Later heard many of the early 300 BOs had issues like that. New ones seem to be ok.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Brother in law has one in a 350 legend. No hiccups of any kind and it shoots great.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have one of the 300 BO. Was having light primer strikes and one case separation. I took a hard look at it and decided it was a headspace issue. It took about a quarter turn of the barrel to get the headspace right. Nice thing about the barrel nut system, you can straighten that out fairly easily. I also had to touch up a rough crown. I was disappointed at first, but the two issues were not worth sending back to have someone else look at it when it only took a half hour to fix. Now it shoots very well (~0.75moa with factory vortx loads), and no more light strikes. Took a 110lb doe with it at 75 yards at the end of our season with the Barnes 110gr and it performed very well. Might just become one of my favorite deer rifles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like all the RARs, if people keep buying the damned things they won't upgrade that abomination of a stock.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have one in 223 that i love. I have a decent selection of nice varmint rifles. This low budget rancher is my favorite. At 200y its as accurate as any of them. Riding a snow machine with it on your back is nice because that short barrel doesn't catch trees as easy. I'm hunting wolves with it tomorrow morning! 55 gr. vmax fb and 24.6 gr. of varget is deadly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hopefully they will are one that takes SR25/LR MAGPUL in 308, 6.5cm

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been looking for one of these in .223.

Looked at Gunbroker and they were going for $650 I can't pull the trigger on that much for what it is.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought one about a month ago in 7.62x39 for the exact reason that the OP mentioned. I’ve got several cases of steel cased ammo in the above caliber. So far I’ve had it out once and shot 80 rounds of GT and Tula through it. Consistent 1.5 inch groups, I’m sure Hornady would probably shoot MOA.
The rifle is a blast to shoot with no function issues of any kind. The trigger is good, I find the stock fine.
I paid $500 for it which is probably $100 more than it was before the madness but I’m very pleased with my purchase.
I highly recommend it for simply fun factor.
I also picked up a 10 round and two 20 round mags

Last edited by RICKMELEAR; 01/24/21. Reason: Info added
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had three Americans, two of them Ranches. Couldn't get past how cheaply made they are. Each went down the road.

The 300 blackout was fun little rifle, but shot supersonics a lot better than subs.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Buy an American. You won’t regret it. I like nice wood and blued rifles but for a beating around gun that you don’t have to worry about and will shoot accurately, the RAR is hard to beat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by meat sticks
Buy an American. You won’t regret it. I like nice wood and blued rifles but for a beating around gun that you don’t have to worry about and will shoot accurately, the RAR is hard to beat.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have one in 350 Legend. No complaints

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300BO that's accurate. Not the smoothest bolt. I got it before the AR mag models came out, and the proprietary mag kinda sucks. I wish it had a 3-position safety. Like all the budget plastic stocks, the stock is flimsy.

It checked the boxes, but if I had the chance to do it again, I'd go with the AR mag model.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by goalie
I have a 300BO that's accurate. Not the smoothest bolt. I got it before the AR mag models came out, and the proprietary mag kinda sucks. I wish it had a 3-position safety. Like all the budget plastic stocks, the stock is flimsy.

It checked the boxes, but if I had the chance to do it again, I'd go with the AR mag model.

Fill the front end of that stock with epoxy to make it much firmer.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by goalie

Fill the front end of that stock with epoxy to make it much firmer.

It's fine as is and I don't want to make it heavier. It just feels cheap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you considered one of the Howa Minis or Zastava 85s?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the compact in .223. It's so handy and light. I have the original rotary magazine version. In .223 the magazine holds 5 rounds. My only concern is about it dropping out. I think the magazine could have been developed a little better but I like the smooth round stock and no long magazine hanging out. With 55 grain Hornady soft points it's a tack driver.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Down here, available means 6mm CM and .416 Whatever. I managed to get some Nosler 7.62x39 a while a go for my grandson’s Howa, but that dried up quickly.

If you can find some Hornady 123gr SSTs, grab them. They kill deer well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a couple American rifles. Both in centerfire and rimfire. I have found that if you can get past the junk stock (easy to replace but pricy) then they are lights out shooters for the money.

The stocks are really my only gripe with them, then being an entry level rifle I have a hard time spending as much on a replacement stock as I did the rifle itself.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.