Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The chronograph thread reminded me of this - and why this place is always an inspiration. It is an excerpt from my book - 24 Hour Campfryer. A sequel is on the way - More Campfryer Tales. I am waiting for the proof copy now.

amazon - US

amazon - Canada

Remember the old days when equipment – even a simple chronograph – was built like a tank?

The Stutz-Packard 1000
copyright 2014 – Stephen Redgwell

Last spring, I needed to sight in a 30-30. It was one of those Mossberg levers. I bought it because the reviews were okay and the price was right. My plan was to shoot some 170 grain cast bullets and head home. I brought a small range bag, my chronograph, and the rifle. I put the bag on the ground and the rifle on the bench. An older fellow was three lanes over and watched my every move. We were the only ones there, so I asked him if I could hang some targets and set up my chronograph.

“Go ahead.” was all he said. He didn’t get up or even look my way. He just waved me forward.

After everything was ready, I sat down at the bench and started loading the rifle. That’s when he stood up and came over.

“What in the hell possessed you to put a scope on that 30-30?”

He sounded angry.

“It’s a Leupold 2.5×20mm Ultralight.”

“So? Lever rifles aren’t supposed to be scoped!”

My folks taught me never to argue with someone older, but it was difficult not to respond.

“Well, I wear glasses.” I figured he’d understand that. He had a pair himself.

“So? How do you think older hunters got game years ago? They didn’t have scopes or glasses to wear!”

Wasn’t this interesting?

“Well, that’s what I’ve got. Thanks for the advice.” I chambered a cartridge and carried on with my set up.

“Hey, is that a chronograph?”

I nodded yes.

“I had an old chronograph. Yours looks like it’s made of plastic.”

“A lot of the parts these days are plastic. It’s a Pro Chrono. They aren’t expensive, but work great for what I need.”

The old guy walked over to my bench, crouched down and stared downrange. I figured he was checking the line of sight.

“Does it use that newfangled electronic ignition?”

What an odd way of putting it! “Electronic ignition? Yeah, it’s got electronics in it. I’m not technically inclined, so I don’t know exactly how it’s made.”

He just looked at me and shook his head. “The trouble with people like you is you think that these new inventions are the bee's knees. They don’t always work so good, you know. Mine was an older gas model. I had to pump it a couple of times to get it to turn over.”

“What?”

“Are ya deaf? I said, I had to give my chrono a pump. On the gas tank there is a pump. You unscrew a brass knob, put your thumb over the hole in the knob and give it a couple of pumps to prime her. I still got it, but my son says I can’t use it because they don’t make leaded gas anymore.”

I was confused. It sounded like he was talking about priming a Coleman stove. I must have looked puzzled because he shook his head like he was talking to an idiot. Then he explained how his chronograph worked.

“I bought mine after reading the ads in the back of Field and Stream magazine. I can remember like it was yesterday. It was the June 1956 edition. The ad said,

‘Are you tired of relying on factory ammunition for your hunt? Make your own and save! And don’t forget the chrono!’

So, I bought one. It's a real beauty. She’s fire engine red with chrome trim – a Stutz-Packard 1000. Their slogan was, ‘Welcome to the Future!’ One thing I gotta say is it sure beat the heck out of the older, steam driven chronographs.”

He didn’t make any sense, and that was probably the reason why no one bothered with him.

“Yep, it cost me $19.99 plus $1 shipping. That was a lot of money in 1956. I thought the wife was gonna shoot me. The day I got it, I took the box out back and set everything up. She’s well made. She weighs about 25 pounds without the stand.”

“This IS a chrono we’re talking about, right?” He sounded mixed up.

“Yes. What’s wrong with you, son? Don’t you speak English? The Stutz-Packard 1000 was cutting edge in its day. It took half a gallon of high test gas, fired by America’s favourite, a Champion spark plug. There’s nothing better.”

“Oh...” What could I say?

“Your chrono has cheap shields.” He said, pointing at my machine.

“What shields?”

“Them cheap looking, plastic shields on top. The Stutz-Packard has chromed shields with fins on the back. It sure looks racy.”

“They call them diffusers these days.”

“I’ll bet you paid a premium for those plastic shields. That’s the problem with the world. Everything’s made so cheap. I’ll bet they’re made offshore somewhere using slave labor.”

“Actually, my chrono is made in the USA.”

“Not with plastic parts like that it ain’t. Sorry son, you got took. And where’s the speedo?”

“The speedo?”

“Yes, you need one of them so you can see how fast the bullets are going! My speedo is built on underneath. The needle and numbers are fluorescent, so you can read the dial in virtually any light. For another $1, I could have got the illuminated speedo, but I just couldn’t manage the extra money. It’s touches like that what made the Stutz-Packard a premium buy.”

At this point, I didn’t know whether he was serious or just pulling my leg. At any rate, it couldn’t hurt to play along.

“If you look at the plastic screen on the back of the unit, you can see the digital display. When I take my first shot, the display will tell me the velocity.”

The old guy smiled and patted me on the back.

“I’ll tell ya what, son. You have fun with your cheap, plastic, electrical chronograph – without fins or any chrome. I found my loads a long time ago, and get a deer every fall. My old chronograph gave me many years of service before the Arabs took away the leaded gas. Thank goodness I managed to work up all my loads before the oil crisis in the 1970s.”

With that, he started to walk back to his bench. As he was leaving, I said, “It was nice talking to you.”

“You too, son. One day, when you’re older, you’ll understand the wisdom. It’s too bad you’ll never have the thrill of using a REAL chronograph.”

I just smiled and waved. When he was out of earshot, I started to laugh, thinking that I was simply too young to have experienced the golden age of reloading with a Stutz-Packard 1000.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
🤣🤣🤣

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I can relate to that. Remember the earlier ones that operated on "white gas" or "aviation gas"? That was before the days of common "unleaded" gas and we could tolerate a little extra lead.

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who believe that ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for chiming in on this insanity smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by KenOehler
I can relate to that. Remember the earlier ones that operated on "white gas" or "aviation gas"? That was before the days of common "unleaded" gas and we could tolerate a little extra lead.

Ah, the good old daze. Growing up, we powered everything by water. It just made sense. Everyone where I grew up thought current flow was electrolyte moving through wires in the radio. Everyone knew electrolyte was inside batteries. When the batteries ran out of juice, it was time for a new one.

I was gobsmacked in college when one of my profs started talking about holes moving in solid state materials. Electrons were kind of stuck - except in the depletion region. I guess the electrons leaked out of the silicone through the holes! Things were never the same after that.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by, Ken. I appreciate it! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For another $1, I could have got the illuminated speedo, but I just couldn’t manage the extra money.”

The icing on the story, IMHO.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had mine converted to run on propane,but I hear the new diesel ones are the Bees Knees.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear the new CED Millennium VI uses plutonium pellets.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

mmmmm.......I can't decide.......when I head to my shooting spot tomorrow, should I take my LabRadar, or my M35, or my old Chrony (dependent upon if it powers up--been a while since I turned it on). My fervent wish is somebody would once again start manufacturig the paper screens for my all-time fav chrono, a Custom Chronograph that I bought in 1981, and is probably the most accurate chrono ever available to the average guy.

Regardless, I rarely go to the range without that essential, quiessentintial, requisite, indispensable piece of equipment known as a chronograph..................

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Did you remember to bring a rifle? laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Did you remember to bring a rifle? laugh

In the past, I have forgot my ammo sitting on the loading bench......... blush

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 160user, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.