Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went up to the camp on Friday to check things out and figured that I'd take the wheelers out to give them a mid winter run. The old Big Red 300 Kawasaki pulled right out and went through the snow like it wasn't even there. That one is solid axle and wears the front tires, so I know there is no slip happening with that front axle. Then came the 400 Polaris Sportsman AWD and the thing barely made it out of the garage! I'd always suspected that the front end wasn't doing much, but this little episode sure proved it. What a pos that we'd best keep for just going to the mailbox or maybe not at all.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Mine did fine a few days ago. Did about 15 miles. Got another 4 inches last night and it's coming down hard, so maybe I'll do another run a bit later. The AWD system doesn't lock but kicks in when slip is detected at the rear tires. Might want to check your machine out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Something wrong with that machine ......I have owned about 20 different Polaris ATVs over the years..... Starting in about 98....Never been stuck in one..... Used in rough muddy and rocky terrain... Climbed more that a few steep rocky snow covered hills.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a '12 RZR. I dont know if the front end works like an ATV but when the front kicks in it has all kinds of traction. When the rear axle slips about 2' the front locks, assuming the switch on the dash is on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What would be a good way to test it? I was backing out. Does a Polaris AWD system work any differently going in reverse? The back wheels were throwing lots of snow and it was making kind of a clicking sound, but I couldn't tell what the front end was doing, if anything. I might tie the hitch to the truck next time I'm up there and have the wife see what is happening slipping on snow.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
put the rears on ice and the fronts on dry ground. Try to spin the tires. If it's working right you might get a slight bit of spin then just drive away. Or, jack up the rears and do the same thing. Just make sure the jacks won't damage anything when you pull off of them.

With my Razor, it never seems like the front is pulling, except that it just keeps going through mud and over large rocks. I can be spinning through mud or snow and when either front hits dry ground, away it goes. I can drive straight into a large rock like it's a wheel chock and the fronts will just climb over it.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only wheeler I've ever had that left me stranded was a Polaris. And it happened twice.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might want to fix it, my ranger don't have any problems up here in the winter besides getting hung up.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
What would be a good way to test it? I was backing out. Does a Polaris AWD system work any differently going in reverse? The back wheels were throwing lots of snow and it was making kind of a clicking sound, but I couldn't tell what the front end was doing, if anything. I might tie the hitch to the truck next time I'm up there and have the wife see what is happening slipping on snow.

Yes - it works different in reverse - you need to use the override switch to engage 4wd if your machine has one. If you hear a clicking sound you've fugged something up.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Yes - it works different in reverse - you need to use the override switch to engage 4wd if your machine has one. If you hear a clicking sound you've fugged something up.

The override button also gives you full power. It should be called the "I screwed up, went beyond my ability, and need to back out of here" button.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 500 Sportsman had pulled the 4wd wire from the switch... it runs like a scalded dog now... check it out...

All atvs have some problems - I've run polaris for 25 years and not had much trouble...

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 01/28/21.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by MikeL2

The override button also gives you full power. It should be called the "I screwed up, went beyond my ability, and need to back out of here" button.

So that is what that little yellow button on the left handlebar is for!!! Why don't they just call it the true fwd button or something similar? I never figured that I needed to override something. Heck, manuals are for guys with no imagination.

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Did you hit the AWD switch while the rear wheels were spinning? That can do some damage. You can shift at any speed or when stopped but not if they're spinning. I just leave the AWD switch on all the time since it's not engaged until the rears lose traction.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The right hand switch only says AWD and 2WD, so we leave it in AWD and on dirt roads that seems to be more stable, so that must be doing something. I'm anxious to get back up north to use that yellow button on the left handle bar to see what kind of a difference it will make. I've always used that wheeler to pull the pontoon boat out of the water for the winter and from looks of the holes I dug with the rear wheels, that front end wasn't pulling much. Learning about that yellow over ride button is like an epiphany for me. I guess mamma raised a dummy. smile

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Putting the tongue weight of a pontoon trailer on an ATV will certainly leave the front end light and make the rears dig in. Most of the Polaris atv's have a towing capacity of about 1200lb. I don't know the rated tongue weight but I'd bet that it's 300 or less. You probably had the fronts spinning along with the rears.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RC, I only need to pull it out of the water up onto the bank and it is only a little 14 footer on a small lake. I take the motor off and I can almost lift the front end by myself. Given how I saw that little 300 pull with all four wheels, I am thinking that one in low range might be even better for that pull. Both have trailer hitches, but I like the heavy metal racks on the 300. I use the little one to push the boat back in the water in the Spring. Works well.

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The polaris is an all wheel drive system, when the 4WD is engaged and the rear wheels slip Approx 1/20th of a turn the fronts will kick in.

Jack the rear tires up, sit on it, start it and give it a little gas, if the front tires don't try to pull you thn your front clutch disks are not working. Most times this is due to the oil never being changed in the front hubs or the front diff. It depends on the year where the clutches reside.

Sometimes the wires going to the clutches are bad.
Sometimes it's the cages for the clutch because someone was spinning the wheels when they engaged the 4wd, it can be several things you'll just have to check it out.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Since we're talking about the Polaris AWD system - NEVER pull in reverse. If you have to pull someone out of the mud, be sure your ATV/UTV is going forward. There's a weakness in the front clutch somewhere that will self destruct if you overload it in reverse. I'm not sure exactly what piece is the weakness but I've read any number of bad luck stories about it. I've never tried it to verify it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Putting the tongue weight of a pontoon trailer on an ATV will certainly leave the front end light and make the rears dig in. Most of the Polaris atv's have a towing capacity of about 1200lb. I don't know the rated tongue weight but I'd bet that it's 300 or less. You probably had the fronts spinning along with the rears.

Less, probaby 35-50pound tongue rating. What year is the Sportsman 400?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The right hand switch only says AWD and 2WD, so we leave it in AWD and on dirt roads that seems to be more stable, so that must be doing something. I'm anxious to get back up north to use that yellow button on the left handle bar to see what kind of a difference it will make. I've always used that wheeler to pull the pontoon boat out of the water for the winter and from looks of the holes I dug with the rear wheels, that front end wasn't pulling much. Learning about that yellow over ride button is like an epiphany for me. I guess mamma raised a dummy. smile

The override button is for reverse ONLY.

He went over yonder way
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.