Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since it's snowing out right now, I thought I'd finally put this story down...
So it all starts with drawing a license in a unit I hadn't hunted before. I settled on a reasonably accessible mountain to get to, which seemed like a fairly obvious place to hunt, and gave me room to hunt rather than a small drainage, and having to bounce place to place if I wasn't finding elk. I was worried about pressure on the mountain, but couldn't find any information on outfitters focusing on it, which made it seem like it would be more DIYers like me. Distance was a little under 5 miles with a bit over 2,000 feet of elevation gain for the most reasonable route.

As summer went on, things kept coming up and I wasn't able to get out like I had planned other than a brief bit of road familiarization. The goats didn't get nearly as much work in as they needed to stay in good shape either. I finally got out to scout in late August and planned for just a one nighter, so I took only three of my 7 goats. I grabbed my two largest, Thor and Ivar, who were definitely getting fat, plus my most aggressive with dogs, Ragnar, who was still big and in good shape. Knowing it was going to rain a bit, I packed a pretty generous amount of clothing and rain gear, plus peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on bagels, no stove, or much else. I left home about 2:00pm and got there a bit before dark at a trailhead along the river, with enough time to set up base camp for the goats and sleep in the truck.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

At dawn, I repacked and weighed the packs. The goats hadn't worn their big boy packs yet, but didn't flinch at any of the newness. The initial stretch of trail was pretty easy, simply following the creek, but it only gained a few hundred feet before the main ascent to the top of Indian Mountain, which was a fairly flat topped mountain, gently sloping up from around 11,000 feet up past timberline, with steep sides and some burned timber on one side from a wild fire a couple years ago. I didn't see much for sign on the hike up, but thankfully wasn't seeing much bear sign either. It was nice to be able to hike with nothing on my back other than a water bladder. The only other things I carried was a leash, a knife, a handgun, and a phone. It was clear the lack of conditioning on the goats was a bit of a problem. They weren't panting particularly hard, they were just going so stinking slowly. Ragnar, who was in the best shape, in the back, and rightfully afraid to get in front of Ivar or Thor (who can be a real a-hole to anyone in front of him). After 500 feet of gain walking 100 feet, and waiting a couple minutes for goats to catch up, I needed to act as I could hear thunder, but wasn't seeing any really threatening clouds yet. I grabbed the leash and put it on Ragnar, forcing him up front with me, which put pressure on the other two to get it in gear. This worked a lot better, but the goats still needed breathers more than I did.

As soon as the mountain leveled off to the series of meadows and standing dead timber, there was elk sign everywhere. And no cattle sign.

The rain clouds were starting to come in, so I found a decent spot with a view of the main junction of meadows and started setting up camp by about 2:00PM. I heard my first couple of bugles while setting up camp and some of them sounded pretty close. As soon as I left camp to go scout some waterholes I had my eye on from remote scouting, I ran right into an outfitters camp. There was no one there, and only one tent set up, with all their gear inside of it. Another canvas tent was on the ground next to it, so it was clear someone was planning on using it during hunting season. Well, unless it was a summer camp that they were taking down. But there was so little indication of use this summer, I assumed it was for hunters. That was pretty disappointing, so I also looked around for small pockets that would make for a decent camp site in the same vicinity, but at least out sight so we didn't feel like we were crowding each other as much if they were up there for muzzleloader season. The goats were pretty tired, so anytime I sat down, they laid down with me and tried to cuddle.

As it started to rain, I could hear more and more elk bugling and the goats were getting pretty interested in the sights and smells of elk. They would sniff the wallows pretty intensely and alert to any major wind swirls and nearby bugles. The goats wanted out of the rain, so we marched back to camp and set up under a tarp, to see if anything would come out of the meadow. Within an hour of dark, the meadow really came alive. Bulls were screaming and playing in the mud, cows were filtering out of the timber from several directions and it was a grand time. I settled in, eating my sandwich, glassing the bulls, none of whom were worth writing home about, but still pretty pleased with the overall atmosphere. As it got dark, other bulls with better chuckles and deeper growls started to bugle nearby and I finally found a first day shooter bull. He was a nice six point and clearly larger in body and antlers than anything else in the meadow. I couldn't get much for video or photos of him as the light started to wane, but I could now go to sleep satisfied this was going to be a fun hunt.

The next morning, I got up and the elk were silent. I didn't see anything, so I took the goats down to water, but they weren't interested. We wandered around, checking out a few more internal meadow complexes and water holes before heading back to camp, packing up and heading home. All of which was uneventful until running into a few archers coming in a day or two before opening day, but they were headed further up the drainage and not onto my mountain.

more to come...

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/24/21.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey, nice prologue. Kinda reminds me of "Lew and Charlie", from the annals of Fur-Fish-Game.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As the season approached two weeks later, a major league snowstorm was forecasted for the area. There were calling for up to two feet in the mountains, which would totally F my plans. In addition to it being harder to physically get there, it might be enough to move the elk and would certainly make forage hard to come by for goats (I don't pack in feed if I can avoid it). Also, it sounded like it would be miserably cold. My buddy Adam and I had 10 days budgeted for the season, so we decided to wait a day and just assemble gear. The hope was the warmer weather would melt off much of that snow. I had a back up plan for some lower elevation options, but was hoping to not go in blind. Also, I finally got my hands on a horse trailer, so I could take all 7 goats with me. They were too heavy for my F150 to be able to handle all 1500+ pounds of gear and goats in the back on mountain roads. They would cause my truck to squat so badly that I was worried about proper steering and braking. The four biggest were all around 240, plus or minus. The two smallest were about 180-190. Ragnar was in between, somewhere around 215ish.
We packed pretty heavily, in case we did in fact need 10 days and if we, were going to be in snow and mud, our gear would be wet all the time. We also took in pack frames, and tied our daypacks to those (went with a fanny pack plus the little Kuiu water bladder pack). If I remember right, total weight was around 25 pounds average each. The bigger boys were a bit under 30 pounds and the smaller ones took a little under 20 each. I think my goal was around 160 total, which we exceeded by a bit, but not much. This would leave some room for elk, but not a full camp to be able to come out in one load, unless we took a bunch of it on our backs. If I limited each goat to 15% of body weight (they were two years old this year, by four the hope is 25%+), I had about 225 pounds capacity, plus my back and Adam, and presumably we'd eat some of our food before shooting an elk. No way I was going to pack out a full skull if I could avoid it.
I did have high hopes for a good bull as it took me a few years to draw this license, so all my assumptions on pack out weight were that i wasn't going to take a little guy.

We left home at dawn, with the packs prepacked and weighed, going over two passes that gave us a pretty good indication that we likely wouldn't be dealing with two feet of snow. The Snotel data I looked at said only 8 or 10 inches on some of the surrounding mountains, which would still suck, plus night time tempts would be in the teens and twenties. Thankfully it would warm up to 50 in the day time with plenty of sunshine. So I felt that even if there was much snow, it would melt quickly enough. We went for it. As we neared the actual mountains we'd be hunting, we could see there was snow up high, but I could also see rock, which meant to me, that we'd be fine. Sure enough, when hitting the trail, it took about three hours of hiking before even hitting snow patches. A couple of the goats would stop and eat the snow, but none of them wanted to water yet. We kept the smaller guys up front, which allowed for a better pace than two weeks prior.

On the trail in, we ran into a woman and her dad heading in to help pack out a bull for the woman's husband who shot one with archery equipment and got a little intel from them, but they were pretty cryptic as to where they were headed. It was just getting dark when we arrived where I wanted to camp. Sure enough, there was a camp on one side of the creek I wanted to use and then there were two hunters and a guide in the outfitter camp. I decided to set up a bit below where I previously camped to indicate to the other guys where I intended to hunt. The DIYers were headed up much higher every day and the outfitter was pretty limited by what he could do with a 70 something year old in poor shape trying to elk hunt, but also insisted on being present for his son's deer. I wasn't too worried. We did not get any tree cover, as there were no stringer trees for camp, but it allowed me to do a long low line for the goats. We did put the gear just inside the treeline though. Elevation was about 11,100. Just as we finished getting camp set and started to gather water, the goats alerted and a big bull moose walked right through camp. He didn't do anything, but I could hear him grunting a fair bit after we ate and went to bed.

more coming...

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/25/21.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The season was already open, so I wasn't too surprised that we didn't see or hear any elk activity in the main meadow that evening. I decided to focus on the pocket meadows, surrounded by timber below us the next morning. We decided to bring the goats with us, as I'd heard mixed reviews about how elk react to goats. I knew they could be a pain the butt, but I also worry about their safety. That morning, we found one of their benefits in that they alerted to a small herd of deer inside the timber, well before we caught sight of them. As we crept along, we began to hear distant bugles and followed those toward the burn. We heard a few other bugles close by, so we set up over a water hole in a meadow. The goats fed for a few minutes then laid down too. Sure enough a small bull wandered through the timber by himself. I wasn't ready to take him, so we kept quiet, and he ignored us. We dropped off the side of the mountain into the burn and we really got into the bugling. I finally let off a bugle of my own and got an instant response from a good one. As he came up from bottom, with the mid morning sun at his back, I could he was a shooter, but he hung up at 150 yards in the burned timber, never really offering a shot. The goats were up and milling about, so maybe that was the problem. They damned sure didn't help in this case. He wandered off back below the ridge. Never saw any of his cows.
We pulled out of there and headed back towards camp to see how things were looking on the other side of the mountain and focus on other small meadows with water holes as it was going to be a sunny day. As we were heading back out the woman, her dad, and now husband were hiking through. They showed us a picture of the bull, around 320, and now there was no hiding where they were headed, into the burn.

As we arrived at a little pocket with a large wallow and settled in, a cow and spike came out to the water. The cow saw the goats, who were mostly up and mingling about, while me and Adam were behind some little bushes. The cow was super nervous and lighting off barks, but wouldn't actually leave from under 100 yards away. As evening set in and we didn't hear any bugles or responses to calls, we moved down the drainage. It was dusk and we got into bulls bugling from several directions. At one point we thought we had to be damned close to one, but he hung up inside the timber above us. At dusk, just across the draw, about 200 yards away, we saw three raghorn bulls. Neither of which were worth getting too excited about yet.

The next morning, we had another visit by the bull moose as we were preparing to leave.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We then went back to where we got into the most elk the first morning. There was steady bugling, so we took our time and set up, waiting for goats to bed down after feeding. This time we had a bull come in right on top of us, fairly unaware of the goats, and they did great by staying bedded. I passed this bull up too, just a 5x5 but a bit nicer than most raghorns. I'd shoot him in less limited areas, but I suspected I could do better. Also ran into a spike on the top of ridge, along the burn/dark timber border. He came in silently, but the goats alerted to him by all staring down his direction. He got under 50 yards before he knew something was up. These are all video screen shots, so kinda hard to get a good image.

We stayed in the burned timber most of the day. At dusk we headed back into the pocket meadows and bumped into a herd of about a dozen silent elk. My buddy tried to keep the goats behind me, and in the last light I could see there was a good bull in the group. Frame looked like a solid 300ish class at least, but at 75 yards, I was too close to want to screw with glassing him up. The wind switched and cows looked up at us, and like they were Secret Service or something, they all gathered around the bull, giving me no clear shot while they stamped around, deciding whether to run or not. I couldn't do it, at best I'd have a neck shot between a bunch of cows. In under 30 seconds of milling about, they finally decided to bail.

The next morning, we decided to leave the goats in camp. At this point, I hadn't heard a coyote, seen any bear or lion tracks and knew we had occupied camps within 1/4 mile of us in two directions. We went further down mountain to a saddle where the burn came up over the top of the ridge. As we crept through the black timber pre dawn, we knew we were in major elk country, but didn't hear a thing. We hung up at the edge of the timber and did some little cow calling, but nothing happened. We headed out into the burn to look down toward the creek below (maybe 1500 below off the ledge). Still nothing, but lots of sign. We went to a ledge with a better overlook and could glass elk on the far ridge about mile away, and it looked like there were some good bulls there too. Probably saw 100 in 4 groups. I opted out of hunting that mountain due to ATV access, and that's where I heard an outfitter was working. It was hard to place the bugles, but I suspected some were coming from straight below us, but I couldn't make them out. We stayed here all day, but there wasn't much action. We were tired, so we started contemplating a route home.

Just then a bull bugled nearby, so we took cover and waited.

Nothing happened for a few minutes, but eventually I could see a rack coming toward us.
I was getting impatient, and was tempted to shoot him. I cocked the hammer, and my buddy looked at me like I was crazy. We had lots of time left. We had seen two shooters so far, and a guy who had killed something likely bigger than anything we had seen. This bull came within 15 yards of us, he was by himself, just a little 5 point.

I let him go too.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn talk about some pics and a write up!! Keep er comin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The next morning I left Adam in camp with the goats again. We definitely got closer to an elk without them the previous day, and we wanted to see hear the latest goings on from the neighboring camps. I went back to the big burn, higher up and there were bulls bugling much further down, but nothing where we had previously gotten into elk. It was a slow morning while I contemplated bailing down into the canyon, heading further up mountain or back to camp. By mid morning I let off a bugle and got a weak response from within a 1/4mile in some timber. We played a little cat and mouse, I'd stalk in further, sit and wait, and either he or I would eventually get impatient and bugle, but he wasn't getting out of his bed. I got well under a 100 yards from him before noon and could tell it was only a 25 yard pocket of timber he was in, but I couldn't cover the open burned timber without spooking him, so I got a little bit closer and put out a challenge bugle. This finally got him up and I saw him thinking about sneaking over a small ridge, but he hung up for several minutes, looking for me, letting out little barks and standing there while I glassed him. Wasn't a shooter. So I let him go.

At that point I was pretty well committed to staying all day in the burn, but it was quiet, so I found nice place to nap. By early evening, the bulls below were talking some more, but I really wasn't up to going down in the afternoon alone. So I slowly started working back towards camp. From the shelf above me, some elk started coming in off the rocks, heading downhill. There was about 10 in total, and the bull, though I couldn't yet see him over 100 yards away, sounded pretty mature.
As the elk headed downhill, they were about to get my wind, so I hit them with a cow call and stopped them. I still couldn't see the bull, but he ripped off a bugle. All the cows stopped and stared towards me. I started getting ranges and looked for shooting windows. I found a good one at 90 yards that the lead cows had used, and hoped the bull would take the same path. He bugled again, and this time I could see his antlers, but not much else. I saw the fronts, and knew he was at least a notch or two above the raghorns I had turned down and decided I'd take him if he gave me shot. I sat as still as I could, thankfully was smart enough to get my gun on the sticks before the cow call. The cows were just standing there staring towards me, and though I wasn't wearing any camo(orange mountain hardware shirt, green Kuiu Attack pants, Kuiu orange vest, orange and camo baseball cap), I felt pretty good that I could wait the bull out or he wouldn't come blasting through my lane too quickly for a shot.
It seemed like eternity, but he slowly walked toward my land and stood there, quartering towards for just a few seconds. I shot, my whole vision was clouded with smoke, and I couldn't see where anything ran. I heard no crashing, just some hoof stomps as everyone took off. I put my orange hat on the tree, grabbed my pack and headed quickly toward where I thought the bull was last standing and left my pack there with some more orange on it. Nothing.
I started doing circles, nothing.

I couldn't hear anything. There was no follow up bugle or cow calls. More circles. Nothing. Wider circles. Nothing. F U C K A D U C K! It's getting dark so I called it. I felt like it was a good shot, but I found no hair, no blood, no kicked up dirt, no fresh holes in trees, no broken limbs in the way. I had nothing.
That night was a tough one. Adam and I talked it over and it had been a while since I screwed up a shot, so we all went in together the next morning with the goats and went to the spot again. Still nothing to be seen.

By mid morning, I convinced myself that I flubbed the shot. So after a snack and conference, we decided to head lower and see if we could get any of those elk in the bottom of the drainage to talk to us. While standing by a spring, we all got a whiff of elk, and heard some crows and jaws squabbling. Not 50 yards from where we tried to peak over the edge was the bull. I hit slightly back in the liver and he had gone about 260 yards. There was no exit from the 54 caliber 348 grain Powerbelt. But either way, he was dead and most of the he meat was still good. Probably thanks to the cold night. Some of the meat on the downside rump had turned, and the tenderloins were gross, but all the upside, backstraps and neck was good. He was a 5x6 and pretty nice one. The pictures make him look bigger than he really is. I'm not gonna score him. The score doesn't matter to me. Though not pleased with losing meat, and the stress of that evening and following morning, it was a great hunt and he's a damn good bull by any measure. You don't get many opportunities to turn down bulls, even in limited units. So that was tons of fun, but now the real work began. As well as some math, trying to figure out if we could get all done with one load or if it would take two. And could we get it all done and out tonight?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's Adam's anniversary, and good hunting partner that he is, was willing to risk her wrath by helping me out. We decided to see if we could get it all done now, and get home that night. We were prepared to be flexible and camp at the trailer near the trailhead, while leaving the spike camp up for follow up pack out, but even though we were willing to take 10 days off, we knew life would be better on the home and work fronts if we could get back early. There was still going to be meat cutting and gear sorting and the like to get done, all of which could be done later when we go back to work. So, we quickly hurried back to camp, got the goat packs on and went back to work on the meat. I really wanted to be on the trail before 3:00pm, thinking we could get down much quicker than we got up. I wanted to at least get to the truck before dark.

We worked like crazy, cutting meat, and weighing packs, then marched back to camp. We ran into a moose that did not want to give way, so that slowed thing up a little bit.

We got to camp and started the break down and weigh ins. We had eaten enough food and with the whole trip being down hill, I decided to give a few of the boys 40ish pound loads and the smaller boys 30ish pound loads. Then with a just a little bit of bulky stuff on our packs, plus the antlers, we could do it. And so we did. I think total gear and meat weight a little under 300. Can't remember exactly now.

The aspens down low had really turned in the few days we were gone and it made for a cool effect packing out.

We got close to beating the dark, failing just by a little bit, loading up and heading for home. Getting back at midnight. The end.. sorta, cuz there was another two days of work to go when we got home.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Random photos

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/24/21.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Great thread, congrats on a very nice bull.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats! Love seeing your goats out amongst em. Thanks for posting!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the great story and pictures . Congratulations

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Enjoyed. Thank you and congrats!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congratulations on a nice bull! Enjoyed the story and pictures. Great write-up on your backcountry adventure. Thanks for sharing!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff right there! I have really enjoyed reading about the goats since you got them.

They look like they are a lot easier to fool with than mules. wink

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting and congrats on a really nice bull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed ready that. Congratulations

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on a successful elk hunt. Good story and pictures, too.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I enjoyed reading about your adventure and how the goats worked out. Nice bull; I would have popped a cap on him too. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.