Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Several years ago after going through a few ammo/primer/powder shortages, I started stocking up when prices were normal and even on sale. Not necessarily hoarding or panic buying per se, but making sure I wasn't caught with my pants down when supplies were slim. I figured it was money in the bank, a good investment that didn't have an expiration date if stored properly.

Anyway - one year when I was reviewing our homeowner's policy and reading the fine print, I found out there were limits regarding how much powder could be stored. Maybe I was naive by not knowing that, but as a PSA to anyone else out there that may not be aware, you might want to review your policy if you keep lots of components around.

It would be a beotch if a chimney fire leveled your house but the investigators found out how much powder was stored on the premises. A claim denied on that basis would really suck. I now keep powder split up between various dwellings / buildings to stay within those parameters.

NFPA also has guidelines on how specific components should be stored. Just another consideration, something to think about while waiting for Varmintguy to log in.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a shop that i keep my powder in.

It is about 125yards from the house.

It is stored in a wooden cabinet without any locks or latches but does have spring loaded hinges.

Back when i had no place so it stayed in the house,never worried about what would happen if a fire broke out.

Still don't but the wife let me build a play room.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Always thought this strange. They never ask folks “How much gasoline do you keep in the cars in the garage????”.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Several years ago after going through a few ammo/primer/powder shortages, I started stocking up when prices were normal and even on sale. Not necessarily hoarding or panic buying per se, but making sure I wasn't caught with my pants down when supplies were slim. I figured it was money in the bank, a good investment that didn't have an expiration date if stored properly.

Anyway - one year when I was reviewing our homeowner's policy and reading the fine print, I found out there were limits regarding how much powder could be stored. Maybe I was naive by not knowing that, but as a PSA to anyone else out there that may not be aware, you might want to review your policy if you keep lots of components around.

It would be a beotch if a chimney fire leveled your house but the investigators found out how much powder was stored on the premises. A claim denied on that basis would really suck. I now keep powder split up between various dwellings / buildings to stay within those parameters.

NFPA also has guidelines on how specific components should be stored. Just another consideration, something to think about while waiting for Varmintguy to log in.

Post a copy of that “fine print”.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

How much toilet paper ya got?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don’t care about a 500 gallon propane tank 30 feet away from the house. 😃

I will look over coverage.

I really have no place ‘outside’. Both of my shops, no-go. Tn is moldy-wet, always 90% humidity shîthole. It rains 3/7 days a week.

I used to keep a press and dies out there, dies rusted in 3 months.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Was paid a visit a while back from the state police fire marshall, seem a friend or so call friend ratted me out on how much powder and ammo I had in my building. Was given 10 days to take care of it, friend is no longer allowed on my land. Fire marshall was going to contact my insurance company

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have heat and air in my shop. whistle

One or the other runs all the time.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If the fire leveled the house, I think it's safe to say that the powder and primers have combusted... gone. Unless you say something, how would the know? Yeah- fire investigater says he found evidence of powder. You think he can tell the difference between 10 lbs and 20?

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That’s no friend

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

Well I must have been lucky. Had a house fire 3 yrs ago and WASNT DENIED claims because of excessive powder primers or ammo. Insurance adjuster even saw the pile as he had to search my gun safe.
Now the fire Marshall kind of scolded me a little and advised in the future there are limits on gunpowder unless stored in a fireproof container. He also laughed when I told him the look on the firefighters faces on how much loaded ammo was in basement and to be careful. Only had maybe a couple shot shells Go off

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Good info to find out I suppose. I haven't told the fire department about that stuff either. It costs me an extra $25 per year for fire dues because I have a cutting torch in the shop. Afraid to find out what it would cost with primers and powder on site.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by LoadClear
If the fire leveled the house, I think it's safe to say that the powder and primers have combusted... gone. Unless you say something, how would the know? Yeah- fire investigater says he found evidence of powder. You think he can tell the difference between 10 lbs and 20?

They did away with tin powder cans, not like the plastic cans will survive

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They can probably tell the difference between 10 and 200.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gemby58

I've got about 20 lbs of Fg Goex Black Powder for my cannon that is still in metal containers... lol- not kept at the house though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have volunteer FD

I’m screwed from the get-go

Takes em 20 minutes to muster, then they get all whiny about our wooden bridge.

Even though a low boy and D-7 come across it twice in the last 3 years and dump trucks with 23 T of gravel come across it 3 or 4 times a year.

Cracks me up when a new FedEx guy drives out here with a small box truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better check your coverage for exclusions period. Burgled and claim denied on guns, fine art, and jewlery. Bastards.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gemby58

I've got about 20 lbs of Fg Goex Black Powder for my cannon that is still in metal containers... lol- not kept at the house though.

I got a powder magazine out on my farm with the black powder in

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
FWIW, 20 lbs of Fg doesn't last long with a cannon.... expensive habit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 53 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.