Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everybody that had 3 lbs of powder, now wants 10 lbs.
I could have used 2lb of powder but I couldn't find it. I finally found an 8lb jug, WAY more than I need. It was either buy it or quit shooting. Now I'm looking for someone who can buy half of it from me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is an interesting quote from the article:

"As to when the shortage will end, Hornady doesn’t see the situation improving in the next 18 months. It may even be two years before gun owners start seeing ammo back on the shelves. His prediction is based on the events of the last year but also on the cyclical nature of previous ammunition shortages."

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...merica-exclusive-interview-with-hornady/

405wcf

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am buying a bit more than normal. I normally use the powder I have, and when I run out, I go buy another pound. That is how I normally do. But now I don't. I don't want to find a good load that works well, only to run out of powder before I can load more than 10 or 20. I am now making sure I have a full pound as backup. Primers I have about a 2 years supply. Figure I will wait on the primers. If things are just as crazy in 2 years, I may need to look for another hobby.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty sure somewhere in the ammo/camping/fishing/tools mess that constitutes the interior of my shop, there are some boxes of ammo for guns that fell out of the boat or were sold before I came back to Kommiefornia. I am not a prepper, but I figure in the event of TEOTWAWKI I can use some of it for bartering for some Kalamata olives or chocolate which will become unavailable due to lack of shipping and blown up ports.

I loves me some Kalamata olives.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I saw some 30-378 Weatherby on the shelves at Sportsman's the other day. I considered buying it even though I don't have anything chambered in that round, nor do I plan on it.

I didn't, I left it for perhaps some poor soul that needed it for his next dinosaur hunt.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There will be a lot of trading back and forth between reloaders, that’s for sure.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Oh, I saw some 30-378 Weatherby on the shelves at Sportsman's the other day. I considered buying it even though I don't have anything chambered in that round, nor do I plan on it.

I didn't, I left it for perhaps some poor soul that needed it for his next dinosaur hunt.

There is a shop in town that asks what you are loading for before selling you powder.

Most of the new faces just want "powder"....dont care what it is.

Capitalists probably.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Seems there is a hole in the distribution system where product is disappearing and no one seems too concerned to find where that hole is.

no hole. People buying stupidly....

Same hole all the toilet paper fell into a few months ago.

Most of us decided we needed four weeks worth on hand instead of two weeks. Voila, the supermarket shelves were bare and rationed.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Heck, I have been looking for H1000 for three years. I do not want to work up another load for the 7mm STW.

Hell I used to grab different powders and work up loads just for S&G. Many times when I already had a hunting rifle at .75 moa. That was recreation.Toasted the barrel on Win Classic in 264 with 2500 rounds just playing and experimenting.

Don't dare burn components like that today. Not to mention, old age is getting in the way.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Seems there is a hole in the distribution system where product is disappearing and no one seems too concerned to find where that hole is.

There is no hole.

Everybody that formerly had 1,000 primers on hand now wants 2,000 or 5,000.

Everybody that formerly had a box of .30-30s now wants 3 boxes or 5.

Everybody that had 3 boxes of cheap dove loads now wants 6 or 10 boxes.

Everybody that had 10 Flats of AAs it STSs for target shoots now wants 20 or 40 flats.

Everybody that had a box of .22s, now wants 5 boxes.

Everybody that had 1,000 .22s now wants 10,0000.

Everybody that had 3 lbs of powder, now wants 10 lbs.

If anybody sees something on the shelf that kinda might work but isn’t their ideal solution, they’re buying it anyway, either to use regrettingly, or to use as trade bait or to flip.

The stuff hits the shelves and sells immediately, rather than sitting for weeks.

Exactly what I've been saying. We, collectively, are the problem. Panic buying leads to more panic buying and it grows exponentially.

I wonder how many millions of primers are sitting in closets across the country that will never see the light of day. Primers are always the first to go, cause they are cheap and easy to store. I haven't bought any components in 2 years, but if I saw some tomorrow, you can bet I would grab a couple pounds of powder......

I just hope it returns to somewhat normal in a couple of years......

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Then comes the crash.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by rost495

no hole. People buying stupidly....

Same hole all the toilet paper fell into a few months ago.

Most of us decided we needed four weeks worth on hand instead of two weeks. Voila, the supermarket shelves were bare and rationed.

Yep. But it was a faked shortage and panic, created by Facebook and promoted on Twitter. Facebook, a year or so after they came into being admitted to running lots of experiments involving what sorts of items they put in people's feeds as far as advertising and fake FB account posts, to see what effects they would have. The TP thing was most likely the same thing. It was a test to see if they could alter people's behavior by causing a panic through the promotion of the idea that there was already a shortage, and panic-buying was already occurring. It worked.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
6.5 creedmoor
6.5 grendel
450 bushmaster
.224 valkyrie
CCI .22wmr
Aguilar .22 lr

On shelfs at a academy today around noon.

They must have had a good amount of it when they opened at 9am.

No ot6 ..........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bet the price was around 80.00 or so.

Know a fellow that just came into a 300 Weatherby mag for a real good price.

He chocked when he saw the price for a box of 20.

As far as i know he still has not found any brass or dies to load with.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cluggins
It will end when we stop doing it to ourselves.

There ya go.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by eblake
Guns America Digest has a recent interview with Jason Hornady about their current production efforts and his expectations for ammo sales. It's interesting reading and may alleviate some fears about longer term ammo and component supplies. He confirms that much (most) of the current situation is the result of panic buying.

Can you provide a link...would appreciate it.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...merica-exclusive-interview-with-hornady/
Just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 01/25/21.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"The cure for high prices is high prices, the cure for low prices is low prices."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by eblake
Guns America Digest has a recent interview with Jason Hornady about their current production efforts and his expectations for ammo sales. It's interesting reading and may alleviate some fears about longer term ammo and component supplies. He confirms that much (most) of the current situation is the result of panic buying.

Panic buying is not the cause of the ammunition shortage. The ammo market has long shown a pattern of rapid and extreme peaks in demand over ~15 years, so that's a BS excuse.

We have an ammunition shortage because the companies in the industry have placed a static cap on their capacity and are reluctant to scale to meet periods of rapid increase in demand. That won't change until an innovative competitor enters the market and disrupts the status quo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B.S.

If they had a fake cap, they would raise it just enough to sell
as much as possible while keeping prices high.

Increasing capacity is very expensive and requires machines,
trained people and supply.

What do you do when things slow.

Give the machines back to the bank and fire the people you hired and trained?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
B.S.

If they had a fake cap, they would raise it just enough to sell
as much as possible while keeping prices high.

Increasing capacity is very expensive and requires machines,
trained people and supply.

What do you do when things slow.

Give the machines back to the bank and fire the people you hired and trained?

Do yourself a favor. Got to Rocky Mountain Reloading's website and email the owner. Ask him where he started, and how he has grown his business. Ask him how much volume he is doing now and what his plans are for the next few years.

There are people who make excuses, and then there are people who get things done, because they like money. Strangely, none of the major companies seems to like money anymore. Or they are getting a significant amount of money to NOT make money. Sound familiar?

The government has never used letter agencies like the IRS to threaten or blackmail companies, have they? It sounds familiar....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.