Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Our hunting camp is in the "shotgun only" part of the state. So I'll be using my 11-87 Sportsman Deer 12 ga. It has a 21 inch fully rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount and a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.

I shot a few Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs through it a few weeks ago at my friends camp just to get it on paper. I only shot it at 50 yards. It seems to like the Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs. I'm going to buy a few more boxes and go to the range to finish sighting it in. I'll zero it at 100 yards.

Have any of you guys/gals shot any deer or black bear with the Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs? If so how did they perform?

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I tried them in my Marlin 512 acouple years back.About every third round failed to fire.I sent them back to Remington and was reimbursed.I went back to the Winchester Platinum Tips I was using.I'm thinking of trying Hornady's SST loading this year.I know this doesn't answer your question about performance, but I'll not try them or recommend them to anyone unless you want to chance hearing"click" when you're aiming at the buck of a lifetime.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1
I tried them in my Marlin 512 acouple years back.About every third round failed to fire.I sent them back to Remington and was reimbursed.I went back to the Winchester Platinum Tips I was using.I'm thinking of trying Hornady's SST loading this year.I know this doesn't answer your question about performance, but I'll not try them or recommend them to anyone unless you want to chance hearing"click" when you're aiming at the buck of a lifetime.
I just fired a box of Hornady SST's out of my Marlin 512 bolt action the other day, and out of five slugs I had one miss fire. The SST's flew good and left a huge whole in the steel target, twice the size of the Lightfields but due to the miss fire i'll stick to lightfields. I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with the Marlin's firing pin???

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm shooting the SST in my 20 ga ultra slug and have never had a misfire. They are extremely accurate and really are effective as a deer round.

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
I'll be using my 11-87 Sportsman Deer 12 ga. It has a 21 inch fully rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount and a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.

That setup will just SMASH deer. A lot of folks here talk about rifles, but when it comes to KO's, nothing beats a 12ga. Nothing.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My shotgun prefers the winchester platinum tipped slug travelling at 1700fps (400 grain)....it stomps em.
or it shoots the barnes 3/4 ounce sabot travelling at 1900 just as well....same thing....it stomps em..

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JEREMIAHJOHNSON
I just fired a box of Hornady SST's out of my Marlin 512 bolt action the other day, and out of five slugs I had one miss fire. The SST's flew good and left a huge whole in the steel target, twice the size of the Lightfields but due to the miss fire i'll stick to lightfields. I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with the Marlin's firing pin???
Your problem may be with the bolt not being seated.The 512 is touchy and the bolt moves up easily if bumped.You may not have had it seated all the way down and that will cause what you described.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
barnes 3/4 ounce sabot travelling at 1900 just as well....same thing....it stomps em..
+1 and accurate in my slug gun also... [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Your problem may be with the bolt not being seated.The 512 is touchy and the bolt moves up easily if bumped.You may not have had it seated all the way down and that will cause what you described.

My Mossberg 695 will do the same thing if the bolt handle is even the slightest bit out of position.

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I planned on trying Remington's Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded, Winchester's Partition Gold, Hornady's SST, and Federal's Barnes Expander Tipped slugs. I tried the Core-Lokt Ultra's, I still have to try the others. I was pretty impressed with the Core-Lokt Ultra's, even though it was only at 50 yards. Three shots made one big hole.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If they shoot well from your slug gun I'd not be afraid to hunt 'um...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'm gonna have to try the SST's again, I was impressed with the way they flew no tumble at all, and boy did they leave a hole.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This bolt-action misfire stuff is very interesting. My hunting partner missed a chance at a really nice buck last year when he had a misfire with his Browning A-Bolt. If I remember correctly, he was shooting Winchester Partition Golds and we naturally blamed the slugs. I will have to bring this to his attention. I try just about everything that I can get my hands on in my Winchester 1300, but I always wind up back with the Federal/Barnes load. I tried some of the Remington Buckhammers last year and I can now applaud behind my back with my shoulder blades. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Rem Core Lokt Ultra and find it very accurate, it hits the same at 50 as it does at 100 for my gun. I haven't shot anything yet with that load, but I will add that the Hastings 2 3/4" mag is a fantastic load deadly accurate and cheaper than most sabot slugs available. I use and carry both since they seem to fly nearly identical out of my gun out to 80ish yards. Which is quite weird since they are totally different shapes and they aren't similar at all. Depending on my stand location I'll load up the Hastings if I have a close view and I'll load up Rem Ultras if I can see far. I prefer the big fats for knockdown.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i had very good results with lightfields out of my 20 ga. where hard on deer out to 130 yards. they shot at 2" at 100 for me.i tried win. hornady, and remingtons but they didnt shoot all that well for me.

FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You know, I never thought about my bolt been a little out of position on my 512.The only time I had trouble with misfires was only that one time when I was testing the Remington slugs.Federal's Winchester's and Hornady's had never ever let me down, so I naturally blamed the slugs.But, I think I'll stick with the SST's for now.They shoot very well out of my 512, and the trajectory is awe-inspiring for a slug gun.I'm just afraid they won't equal the terminal performance of my beloved Platinum Tips.But this misfire thing has been educational.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother feeds this round through his Hastings-barreled 870 and has never had a miss fire. The slugs are just devastating on whitetails, and his groups have been very consistent, running well inside of 2" at 100 yards. He's shot 5 deer with this load, including a huge doe, and not a signle one has gone anywhere-all were bang-flops.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I shoot winchester NP gold's 3" 385 gr. in my 1187 12ga. with the 21 rifled barrel. I tried a few different slug but these work well with my gun. Groups average 2.5" at 100 yds. This combo is great in thick cover and open ground. It's like throwing a wrecking ball at them.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to know that people are having good luck with the Hornady SST's. I am thinking about a NEF 20 gauge slug gun to hunt deer on base with. For under $200, I think it would be worth it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hudge
Good to know that people are having good luck with the Hornady SST's. I am thinking about a NEF 20 gauge slug gun to hunt deer on base with. For under $200, I think it would be worth it.

I set my wife up with this exact set-up. She has the NEF 20 ga with a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7 and shoots the Hornady SST slugs. It is an absolute tack driver and @ 100 yds, she can hit exactly where I tell her to on paper. I use it every opportunity I get when she is not using it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.