Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So a buddy of mine has a 7.65 Arg and dropped off boxes of once fired 7.65x53 brass along with a 2-die Lyman set consisting of a FL sizer and a seater.

I would like to neck size these cases but cannot find a Lee collet die for this round.

I am told I could use a 303 collet die for this but am am curious as to the process. Would I somehow use the FL Lyman die to de-prime without sizing by just backing off the die until it barely popped the primer?

If that works, then how do I collect size using the 303 properly? Rather not spend the money on a Lyman or other neck sizer for the tiny bit of reloading needed.

Then of course there are which bullets . If I tell him to use 303 bullets because the Argy is .311 you know he is going to go cross eyed.

Awaiting learned responses.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No one ?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
OK, make this simple for me, I am easily confused. I have two 7.65x53 (Belgian) Mausers (you can call them Argentines if you prefer). I do NOT have a Lee Collet in .303...just a plain Lee resizer, maybe the collet die has much larger internal dimensions. A once fired 7.65 Norma case will only enter the .303 die about an inch where it binds up tight..with Imperial lube. Measuring the shoulder of the 7.65 is .036" larger than the .303...rim to shoulder length is about .090" longer on the .303. Without a .303 collet die in hand, I'd say probably not.
Now to the bullet thing...I have been shooting the 7.65 Mauser since the '60's...it needs, as designed a .313 bullet (discontinued by Speer years ago), it will shoot well with a .312. In my experience, the smaller bullet diameters is pretty much a waste of time and money. It may prove to be adequate, but never great , accuracy wise. Are you guys thinking of using .308 dia bullets in the 7.65 (next to last sentence of your op)? I know it was done way back when...but I think it was the same IQ of reloader that decided all 8x57 bore dia's were created equal.
I hope you appreciate this, I trudged through snow in sub freezing temps to go to my toxic superfund epa site known as my shop to test your theory. Poor me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Flintlock.- hoping you survived the trek. Thanks for the response. I use Collets for all my rifle unless loading for someone else. My goal was not to FL resize for this buddy but he hardly ever shoots so....no biggee after rethinking it. I have decided to just use the dies he gave me which are a Lyman FL and its seater. I will back off that FL as much as possible and call it a day. I bought my friend a box of PRVI ammo meantime which was 180 grain. I looked at his spent rounds and they are all 150 grain Norma factory ammo he said was very accurate. The only .313 bullets I see are those lead ones so I am going to .312 150's, probably Sierra's, because at the modest speeds they should be perfect.

For my hunting rifles I have consolidated to a single powder that is for the time being unobtainable. IMR4350 and it looks like 47 grains of that has proven itself for some folks. If not I will buy H4831sc and get rid of my one powder fits all measure of safety.

. Confucius
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am not aware of Sierra ever making a .312" dia bullet in any weight. That said, Sierra is never a bad choice even at .311". On my 1935 FN Peruvian I use Hornady .312's...the 150 flat base for hunting and for targets, the excellent 174 bt sold by Grafs, #3031G. If you are shooting an old Argentine, by all means, stay on the safe side with the slow bulky powders you mentioned. If you have a stronger rifle, you will find RL-15, H4895 burning rate will give you good velocity, low e.s., and superb accuracy. I shoot steel to 600 yards with mine, it's just sporter weight. Generally speaking, in a strong action, what works in the .308, works in the 7.65...there being only 2 gr more internal capacity. Have fun with one of the most under appreciated cartridges out there.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If the once fired brass came from his rifle ,why not full length resize with a .002"- .003" shoulder bump? They will be every bit as accurate as neck sized,won't over work the brass and will chamber without any undue effort. Everybody wins. No hassle for you, no cussing from him whilst trying to chamber his buddy's reloads. Everybody wins.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BustemAgain
If the once fired brass came from his rifle ,why not full length resize with a .002"- .003" shoulder bump? They will be every bit as accurate as neck sized,won't over work the brass and will chamber without any undue effort. Everybody wins. No hassle for you, no cussing from him whilst trying to chamber his buddy's reloads. Everybody wins.

Thinking that is what I was thinking and maybe said it poorly. Just a mild squeeze on the case . Now the trick is ....finding friggin IMR 4350 and bullets.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.