Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,
My Wife and I are seriously thinking about moving to Texas. She is still working but can work from anywhere as long as there is internet. I retired as a Correctional Sergeant last year from the Wisconsin Dept. of Corrections. My Wife and I are solid Conservative voters. I would probably look for a part time job. I am not real familiar with TX but here is where I have been on pig hunts and I really like the area. We hunt about 15 miles from Palestine near Tennessee Colony. I believe it is Anderson County. I like that part of the State of TX. My hobbies include deer hunting, duck hunting, PIG HUNTING and turkey if available. I know deer hunting can pose a problem but will probably come back to Wisconsin to hunt for deer.I am a FFL Dealer and I can transfer it to TX. I just workout of my house now. I would also be willing to guide hunts for pig hunters if someone is looking for a guide.
We are not into the Arts, or Symphony etc. More concerned about living in a small town or in a rural area. Doing are own thing and being good neighbors I would like to be someplace within 25-30 miles of a decent sized town for groceries, shopping etc

Bill

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only driven through TX a handful of times, obviously others have a lot more insight but living cost was reasonable in the Waco area. To me the Texas hill country was easily the most scenic part of the state.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 01/25/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Stay away from Austin.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ask ol Flave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would live as close to Roger as I could so I could be his wingman!

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lots of nice small towns in Texas. Pigs are damn near all over. Further East you go the more water there is. Texas is just BIG. I would visit different areas.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I live in the Houston area now but spent most of my life in NW Louisiana.

I like the Lufkin / Nac area and we will likely end up around there depending on where the kids & grandkids end up.

I like the hill country are best though but it is expensive relative to east texas.

And pigs are pretty much everywhere...

Last edited by Ekim1966; 01/25/21. Reason: Typo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drove through Texas many years ago and drove though a little town north and west of Dallas/Ft. Worth somewhere between Rhome and Bowie. I think it was on Highway 287/81. It was cotton country. A little flat and there was some oil stuff going on but I liked it. It was what I think of as a nice little Texas town. That was 40 years ago but it is still fresh in my mind. To each his own but that was what I liked.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenacp
Stay away from Austin.

Yep. Anywhere but that Libertard schitthole.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what you want to do and how comfortable you are in smaller towns.

PM me if you want my views.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always liked San Angelo, but don't know how Kalifornicated it is these days. Nacogdoches and surrounds is good country too. Also like the country between Houston and San Antonio. Schulenburg, Flatonia, etc. Texas has something for everyone. I think many Texans would agree that a rope is what they have for Californians . . .

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
I always liked San Angelo, but don't know how Kalifornicated it is these days. Nacogdoches and surrounds is good country too. Also like the country between Houston and San Antonio. Schulenburg, Flatonia, etc. Texas has something for everyone. I think many Texans would agree that a rope is what they have for Californians . . .

Something for everyone except......................

Millions of acres of public land to recreate on???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Paris, Tx was a cool little town

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Tyler is a good medical/shopping area. No far from Palestine. Lots of pigs, some deer, no turkey. I’m equal distance from Tyler and Dallas, I go to Tyler. Van Zandt county is where I live so I’m bias. Someone mentioned Schulenburg and Flatonia as well. Beautiful country down there. Oak and Pine here. Giant Live Oak and scrub there, less trees overall. Heavy Hispanic population here, more there. It’s different than Wisconsin for sure, I was there last February and found it beautiful but cold for a Texan.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thats simple, do you want freedom and want to be left alone for life or have to camouflage and operate amongst them?

The answer to the first is where nobody else wants to live, the second is everywhere else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Could never live more than a short drive from the coast.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
From what you have described, most anywhere near Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Tyler, Marshall, Livingston, Huntsville, Bryan, Fairfield, etc. may work fine for you. You are already familiar with Palestine and seem to like it around there. Note that Texas is a big place with very diverse terrain and demographics. There is a huge difference in say Jefferson, Uvalde, Marfa, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, Del Rio, Paris, Seminole, Beaumont, Victoria, Borger, Galveston, and McAllen. So much so an outsider would have a difficult time believing these were cities within the same state. It is 880 miles across I-10 from the Louisiana line to the New Mexico line and about the same north to south. It's a dang big and diverse place. Lush pastures and forests in the east and desert mountains in the west. Open plains in the panhandle and coastal plains and gulf beaches in the south and all sorts of mixes in parts between. All with the same road signs. My best advice to you, other than avoiding Austin proper, is for you and your wife to take a few days, or maybe a couple of weeks, and take a driving tour or the state. If you really like the area that you are already familiar with, start there. If you really like that terrain and demographics, you can probably eliminate most anything west of I-35. Not to imply that areas west of I-35 do not have value, quite the contrary, but just judging by what you say you like so far. That still leaves you with a tremendous size search area opportunity.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to disparage any proud Texans but if it were me looking to retire to the South West. Arizona is more scenic, has public land to roam and is more varied in terrain and critters to hunt

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Not to disparage any proud Texans but if it were me looking to retire to the South West. Arizona is more scenic, has public land to roam and is more varied in terrain and critters to hunt

Unfortunately, both are turning "purple" , TX perhaps slower than AZ.

I have relatives in AZ and they are amazed at how it's changing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

San Angelo looks more like Mexico nowadays.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,878 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.