Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

No virtual intruders have been able to penetrate the perimeter of your generator?

Exactly.

And no EMP related downtime at all, for our appliances and such.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of EMPs.

If I had any, would my primers 'splode inside the factory packaging while stored in a plastic toolbox?

and our grid is in now way, shape, or form secure. Find a friend that works in that field and ask them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by logcutter
Generator Faraday DIY

Kinda a poor example for a big generator but it gives the basics...Google it and there's tons of examples...

Jayco👍

I like it, the only problem is the generator is stationary and installed on a concrete slab, no way to get the mesh under it. Ideas? It will also run on propane, just have to change out the jet, (from what I've been told), they are finishing it up in the morning, I guess I'll ask them tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Well,,,,Copper would be best

Actually Gold and you'd be the envy of the neighborhood. Silver would be second best.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Will a faraday cage work on solar panels?

Tarquin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, just cover them with some sheet metal and they'll be fine.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm not convinced that there is a lot of reason to go so far as building a faraday cage.

For a time, the prevailing theory was that if WW3 happened, it would start with a Russian nuke exploding 100 miles over Kansas City. That would indeed cripple US power distribution. One of our Pacific nuke tests took out the traffic lights in Honolulu.

The other threat is another Carrington Event. That was a coronal mass ejection that smacked into Earth and lit up the infant telegraph systems. One of those would also cripple US power distribution.

JMO, but if the generator is disconnected from the power lines, I think its chances of surviving either type of calamity are pretty good.

BTW, one way to make an antenna for a large aircraft is to cut a slit in the sheet metal. The slit acts just like a wire antenna in space. Think about what that means about being in a metal shed where sheets are not carefully bonded.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oh, I got me an idea. Gotta run to PetSmart real quick before they close and pick up a hamster. What are they, like a buck-fifty or so?

Pop it on the microwave along with a tray of large pistol primers.

See if I can get my ass kicked off of YouTube.

BRB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Oh, I got me an idea. Gotta run to PetSmart real quick before they close and pick up a hamster. What are they, like a buck-fifty or so?

BRB

While you're out, grab a roll of tinfoil.

Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

BRB

Free Lemmiwinks

🤪🤪

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have designed a lot of things with Faraday shields.

If you have the money [ uplinks for to satellites on AIR FORCE ONE, USAF jets, and USN submarines] you get MU-Metal
https://hollandshielding.com/Mu-Metal-Amorphous-Magnetic-shielding-materials
That can even sheild out low frequency. [important to the submarines]

If you are cheapskate [like one defibrillator in an injection moulded enclosure] you get conductive paint sprayed in the inside. The ground connection is touchy feely.

But mostly in the middle cost [F-16 radar warning, ect] you get a hogged out or investment cast Aluminum alloy enclosure.

For Halloween, you get an Aluminum foil hat.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget to put a Faraday cage around your house, so everything you want to use generator electricity for isn't fried by an EMP. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have designed a lot of things with Faraday shields.

If you have the money [ uplinks for to satellites on AIR FORCE ONE, USAF jets, and USN submarines] you get MU-Metal
https://hollandshielding.com/Mu-Metal-Amorphous-Magnetic-shielding-materials
That can even sheild out low frequency. [important to the submarines]

If you are cheapskate [like one defibrillator in an injection moulded enclosure] you get conductive paint sprayed in the inside. The ground connection is touchy feely.

But mostly in the middle cost [F-16 radar warning, ect] you get a hogged out or investment cast Aluminum alloy enclosure.

For Halloween, you get an Aluminum foil hat.

Clarkm,
Thank you for that write up, quit informative. Thought about it a lot last night, I could save the generator but there would not be much left in the house to use it for, now if we knew it would hit on say May the 21st, 2021, I could stuff the microwave, wrap the house in foil and wait it out, but since we don't know, I guess It's all just a mote point. And if the primers ignited, then the powder would ignite, then the ammo. I would not need to worry about a generator.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone ever see Night of the Comet?

These two teenagers were screwing in a Sears metal shed when the radiation from the comet hit everyone else.

I thought I was the only person in the world that saw that. Back when VHS tapes had to be back by 5pm and there were not large stores - all mom/pop video places.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EMPs mainly effect electronics. Generally speaking, older less tech heavy items are less venerable

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Doug, it’s my understanding that an overseas shipping container, with some modifications, will make a good Faraday Chamber! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone ever see Night of the Comet?

These two teenagers were screwing in a Sears metal shed when the radiation from the comet hit everyone else.

I thought I was the only person in the world that saw that. Back when VHS tapes had to be back by 5pm and there were not large stores - all mom/pop video places.

Slum was the star

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DouginLa
I just had a 22kw home generator installed. It runs on natural gas. What material is best to use to build a cage? I understand about grounding it and no paint, and I live where rust is constant, it has to be light enough a 72yo can remove it for maintenances. Do they really work? Worth the trouble? The more I read, the more confused I get, help.

If you have to worry about an EMP shutting down your generator, you really have more important things to worry about. Make sure it is properly grounded and just keep up with whatever maintenance it may need. Enjoy the piece of mind of owning a back-up generator and just be on the look out for a decent buy on primers. The little stuff will take care of itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a secret security clearance for EMP threat levels, but I think I can say I do the exact same type of design fixes to protect from the conducted threat electronics boxes from 3 causes:
1) Static electricity
2) Lightning
3) EMP

Get well protected against lightning. That should be a commercially available option.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by DouginLa
I just had a 22kw home generator installed. It runs on natural gas. What material is best to use to build a cage? I understand about grounding it and no paint, and I live where rust is constant, it has to be light enough a 72yo can remove it for maintenances. Do they really work? Worth the trouble? The more I read, the more confused I get, help.

If you have to worry about an EMP shutting down your generator, you really have more important things to worry about. Make sure it is properly grounded and just keep up with whatever maintenance it may need. Enjoy the piece of mind of owning a back-up generator and just be on the look out for a decent buy on primers. The little stuff will take care of itself.

Understand what you are saying, trust me, I will never need to buy another primer, or powder, or bullets, or cases. or.....
My grand kids are set for life.
And the generator is well grounded.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.