Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know lots of people may overreact to this question but it’s been on my mind a lot lately. I just keep wondering if there’s anyway they could disperse ammo sales more evenly or rationally to prevent hoarding and avoid these times like we are currently experiencing? I just keep thinking there’s got to be a way to avoid these shortages and not having hunting ammo readily available to consumers at all times. Does anyone else wonder about this? I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The answer is for the manufacturers to keep cranking 24/7 until supply catches demand.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/26/21.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RufusG
The answer is for the manufacturers to keep cranking 24/7 until supply catches demand.

The manufacturers are estimating that that will take well over a year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RufusG

The manufacturers are estimating that that will take well over a year.

Well, they better get on it then.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a large part of the problem is the distributors. I spent more than 30 min on the phone with a guy at Hodgdon Powder a week or so ago. He said they are turning out more powder than ever and said in late Dec/Early Jan they sent 190,000 lbs of Varget out the door and in less than 2 days there wasn't any on the shelves anywhere. Said they have NO control over the powder once it goes to the distributors. I know here in Amarillo TX not one of the stores that carry reloading components has seen a powder delivery in more than 6 months. I'm betting the same thing is happening with loaded ammo, it leaves the factory by way of distributors but gets routed to others before most of hit hits the store shelves.

Pretty hard to "hoard" it if you can't buy it anywhere. For my money the distributors are selling to some select high volume buyers who are then reselling at huge markups.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Import more?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MAC

For my money the distributors are selling to some select high volume buyers who are then reselling at huge markups.

I would imagine they are selling to their best customers...which is what any business should be doing. You are more than able to start your own distribution company and handle business the way you see fit.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some people did not prepare.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MAC
Pretty hard to "hoard" it if you can't buy it anywhere.

I see on websites and forums a lot lately where someone will mention “hey just a heads up, such and such ammo is in stock at such and such place!” Then you’ll see a bunch of guys responding that they bought massive amounts and then within an hour guys will be commenting or bitching and complaining that it’s all sold out already. They don’t realize they’re doing it to themselves. At least that’s the way I’m currently seeing it. Maybe I’ve got it all wrong?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not the distributors at the retail locations it's the same a holes that did this the last time. They wait every morning for a shipment to come in and buy what the store put's on the shelves to sell online. SHDD

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
It's not the distributors at the retail locations it's the same a holes that did this the last time. They wait every morning for a shipment to come in and buy what the store put's on the shelves to sell online. SHDD

So, in essence, they are actually improving the channels of distribution by making the ammo available to a larger market?

Capitalism works, even if its not beneficial to you. Folks are nuts right now, they will pay anything for ammo....and I will gladly sell it to them for that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

So, in essence, they are actually improving the channels of distribution by making the ammo available to a larger market?

Capitalism works, even if its not beneficial to you. Folks are nuts right now, they will pay anything for ammo....and I will gladly sell it to them for that.

Well if you consider Walmart and Shceels a larger market then yes..That's where I got my info from!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any attempts to intervene will make it worse. Just let the market sort its self out. If you've been a gun owner for at least 10 years and weren't prepared its your fault.

I was in Al's in Idaho Falls yesterday and saw they had a pallet of ammo that just came in. I asked if I could get a few boxes of 7.63x39 because I just ordered an AK. They so no, they weren't going to put it out yet. About 2 minutes later a gut walked by with 3 boxes. I asked him where he found it and he said it's not what you know but who.

I then went back and watched them tell some people no and then give boxes to others that it seemed like they knew. I called them out on it and they said they were going to decide who gets it to make sure people who didn't need it weren't buying it. I said you already have a 3 box limit, maybe you should just put it out and let those that show up decide what they need. I said you don't know me or my situation at all but denied me so you could give it to friends. I said if your that big of a control freak, I'm going to make the world fair type communist what are you doing selling guns and ammo? Are you just arming your comrades?

What's with everyone with a $10 an hour job thinking it's their responsibility to make sure everyone gets a trophy whether they compete or not. If they want limits fine but all this hiding ammo from some and deciding who gets it and then acting like your making the world a better place through cronyism is crap.

Bb

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

What's with everyone with a $10 an hour job thinking it's their responsibility to make sure everyone gets a trophy whether they compete or not. If they want limits fine but all this hiding ammo from some and deciding who gets it and then acting like your making the world a better place through cronyism is crap.

Bb

That's the benefit of running your own business...you get to decide who you sell what to. Every gunstore ought to be doing the same thing, rewarding long time and valued customers. I would expect those who gave them business then the times were good to have precedence over those who are only there in the hard times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll admit being friends w a LGS owner for over 30 years has had some nice perks. I imagine buying stuff from them when biz was slow helped that friendship along.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I’ll admit being friends w a LGS owner for over 30 years has had some nice perks. I imagine buying stuff from them when biz was slow helped that friendship along.

As it should.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Bb

That's the benefit of running your own business...you get to decide who you sell what to. Every gunstore ought to be doing the same thing, rewarding long time and valued customers. I would expect those who gave them business then the times were good to have precedence over those who are only there in the hard times.

That is exactly what is happening here in the small shops. I don't like the inflated prices but I can still buy if needs be.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I just keep wondering if there’s anyway they could disperse ammo sales more evenly or rationally to prevent hoarding and avoid these times like we are currently experiencing? I just keep thinking there’s got to be a way to avoid these shortages and not having hunting ammo readily available to consumers at all times. Does anyone else wonder about this? I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

Originally Posted by dale06
Some people did not prepare.

Ding-ding-ding!!! We have a WINNER!!!!

This is an opportunity cost issue, not a supply issue. Ammo has been very inexpensive and easily available over the years so if you, or anyone else, chose to spend your money on other things instead of taking care of your ammo supply, this is on YOU and not the ammo companies or anyone else. I loved going to the range with my son and blowing through 500 rounds of 9mm in a day or taking new shooters out on my dime to shoot all they wanted without without breaking the bank but those days are gone, at least for now. Other than getting Trump back in office, the solution to this issue is to get all the thoughtless people to buy regularly, and buy ahead, especially when there are sales going on but, when those times come, they're usually not interested in giving up their beer money for ammo. Now they just have to sit their and cry in their beer, but hey, at least they still have beer!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
When joey EO,s foriegn imports: guns, ammo, primers.
Schit will get real bad then.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any attempts to intervene will make it worse. Just let the market sort its self out. If you've been a gun owner for at least 10 years and weren't prepared its your fault.

I was in Al's in Idaho Falls yesterday and saw they had a pallet of ammo that just came in. I asked if I could get a few boxes of 7.63x39 because I just ordered an AK. They so no, they weren't going to put it out yet. About 2 minutes later a gut walked by with 3 boxes. I asked him where he found it and he said it's not what you know but who.

I then went back and watched them tell some people no and then give boxes to others that it seemed like they knew. I called them out on it and they said they were going to decide who gets it to make sure people who didn't need it weren't buying it. I said you already have a 3 box limit, maybe you should just put it out and let those that show up decide what they need. I said you don't know me or my situation at all but denied me so you could give it to friends. I said if your that big of a control freak, I'm going to make the world fair type communist what are you doing selling guns and ammo? Are you just arming your comrades?

Bb

How much you wanna pay for 100 rounds? You won't even have to wait in line or go anywhere. UPS deliver where you live?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.