Campfire Ranger
Well that is good to hear.

Good luck with the problem.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by blindshooter
This German Shepard size coyote lives in a semi-urban area.
I like snares, but this would work much better inside a large cardboard box. Would a coyote that size get kilt quick in a 330?
Again, asking for a friend.

His your friend a full blown retard wanting to trap a coyote in a semi-urban area with a bodygripper, which by the way is illegal anywhere in the lower 48?

I will agree that this is not a smart idea, but it's not illegal in all states in the lower 48.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
A 330 is big enough, but you'll play hell getting him to commit.

Exactly correct.
It would be extremely rare to catch a coyote in a body grip trap. My brother has trapped coyotes extensively for 40 plus years. He uses leg holds and snares. Also he traps other animals in body grip traps. He has caught one coyote a body grip that was set for coons. That coyote was mangy, sick and nearly starved to death.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just thinking out loud here, but would a pen set with live bait, entice a coyote to stick his head through a connibear? I'm pretty sure other critters would be more likely to go for the bait, before the coyote. And, I dont know if it's legal to use live bait.

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't seem to make the link work on
this cheezy phone

See Clint Locklear
Wolfernation on Yoofloob " how to catch coyotes bobcats
in body grip trap "

He should know if anybody does

Thankfully, we can still use whatever kind or
size of traps we want to here, and whatever
gets in it gets in it. You can either let it loose
if it's in a non-lethal trap, or you can bash it
or pop it

Last edited by Ranger99; 01/26/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there may be one stupid coyote left, that MIGHT.....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's not a Coyote they're after, it's two German Shepard's a drug dealer owns, and lets roam freely. Big difference . I would never recommend a 330 on land, even if legal in some states, especially in an urban area. That is just a disaster waiting to happen, especially in any type of cubby set. I would suggest continuing to try and go through any legal channels available. Every time he calls I would document the conversation, and the results or lack of them. Then if I got no satisfaction, I would go further up the chain of command, and continue to document the reply's I got. In this day and age, I would not ever take matters into my own hands at resolving it. I have seen it happen in my area, with the results being television crews involved, and felony animal cruelty charges being brought. We trap for a living, and are pretty familiar with this scenario. When the local dog warden's can't catch a feral dog, they will occasionally call us in to trap it for them. If you know what you are doing, it can be done quite easily, and humanely with no damage or injury to the dog. After that it is up to the local dog warden to decide how to dispose of them legally. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don, like you said, there Might be a coyote walking around that dumb.....

Skunkman, I agree with you about it being two dogs, an urban area, and a dumb idea.

Like I said in my post.... I'm just thinking outloud.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skunkman
It's not a Coyote they're after, it's two German Shepard's a drug dealer owns, and lets roam freely. Big difference . I would never recommend a 330 on land, even if legal in some states, especially in an urban area. That is just a disaster waiting to happen, especially in any type of cubby set. I would suggest continuing to try and go through any legal channels available. Every time he calls I would document the conversation, and the results or lack of them. Then if I got no satisfaction, I would go further up the chain of command, and continue to document the reply's I got. In this day and age, I would not ever take matters into my own hands at resolving it. I have seen it happen in my area, with the results being television crews involved, and felony animal cruelty charges being brought. We trap for a living, and are pretty familiar with this scenario. When the local dog warden's can't catch a feral dog, they will occasionally call us in to trap it for them. If you know what you are doing, it can be done quite easily, and humanely with no damage or injury to the dog. After that it is up to the local dog warden to decide how to dispose of them legally. Just my 2 cents.

We're working on getting county animal control to bring out the live traps. Evidently they don't have enough to go around.
Talked to a couple of deputy's I know and they have been trying to get this guy for years. They have arrested him several times and he's out before they finish the paperwork. Might even be some animal cruelty charges coming, that might keep him in jail for a few hours. /sarc

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll be surprised if the live cages work. Good luck, hopefully it gets resolved.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes a 330 will kill a large dog, they have no trouble sticking their snout in.

Of course one is deep into SSS territory.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a new one for me

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Skunkman had good comments. How did this all turn out?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the comments, we abandoned traps early on. The county was and is no help. Long story but the township has no enforcement and the county deputies have much more pressing stuff to take care of.

As luck would have it the worst of the two got kilt by a truck and the other was hit a few weeks later with the county animal control picking her up, last I heard the dog died on the ride to the pound.

The doper has a chow/husky mix on a cable run now.

I think I need a .22 with a can.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No doper, no dogs.

Get him busted and put away.

Anonymously of course.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't even think of using a 330....use a snare 1#...cheep....2 # ...can put out many for cheep....3#....don't need to check because there cheep....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I most certainly wouldn't even consider tossing some hamburger patties with small sponges inside within the dog's reach. That might be effective; but cruel. Sounds like he'd just get another dog anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.