Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
“Just in time” supply methods may work for business, but are just plain foolish for individuals and families. Anything you use regularly should be kept on hand against the next anticipated use. Running out of stuff you know you’ll need is simply irresponsible. Not only can it leave you in the lurch when the need arises, but it leads to extra trips to the store, wasting time and gas.

As for ammo, everyone knew that there would be an election in 2020, and that potentially it might go the wrong way for shooters. The plague was unexpected, but it was pretty obvious by Spring of last year that we were in for a long-term hard time. Guns, ammunition, and components were all freely available to anyone well into Summer, based on my purchasing. I didn’t run into any issues until August. Even then, a little searching around enabled me to fill in the few cracks in my supplies at regular prices. Didn’t buy much, because I’ve kept ahead of my anticipated needs for years. It’s too bad that so many didn’t learn from the past and let themselves get caught short, yet again, but the goods were there, so they are totally to blame for their dilemma, not the industry, not the distribution system, not the hoarders, not the scalpers. When people don’t think ahead, they put themselves at the mercy of those who do, and of events. Dollars to donuts many who are stuck now will be stuck the next time too.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

What's with everyone with a $10 an hour job thinking it's their responsibility to make sure everyone gets a trophy whether they compete or not. If they want limits fine but all this hiding ammo from some and deciding who gets it and then acting like your making the world a better place through cronyism is crap.

Bb

That's the benefit of running your own business...you get to decide who you sell what to. Every gunstore ought to be doing the same thing, rewarding long time and valued customers. I would expect those who gave them business then the times were good to have precedence over those who are only there in the hard times.

This particular store is part of a chain that just opened here a couple of months ago. Their closest other store is in another state hours away. The $10/hour guys aren't running their own business. They are running someone else's in a way that benefits themselves and their friends. I bought 3 nice guns there the first month they were open in November and have spent thousands on reloading gear, mags, camping gear, clothes, and Christmas stuff and clothes for the kids. Some $10 an hour clown just turned it from a store I really liked and tried to support into one I no longer do. All by being unfair in the name of fairness. Must be a Democrat.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mirage243
Any attempts to intervene will make it worse. Just let the market sort its self out. If you've been a gun owner for at least 10 years and weren't prepared its your fault.

I was in Al's in Idaho Falls yesterday and saw they had a pallet of ammo that just came in. I asked if I could get a few boxes of 7.63x39 because I just ordered an AK. They so no, they weren't going to put it out yet. About 2 minutes later a gut walked by with 3 boxes. I asked him where he found it and he said it's not what you know but who.

I then went back and watched them tell some people no and then give boxes to others that it seemed like they knew. I called them out on it and they said they were going to decide who gets it to make sure people who didn't need it weren't buying it. I said you already have a 3 box limit, maybe you should just put it out and let those that show up decide what they need. I said you don't know me or my situation at all but denied me so you could give it to friends. I said if your that big of a control freak, I'm going to make the world fair type communist what are you doing selling guns and ammo? Are you just arming your comrades?

What's with everyone with a $10 an hour job thinking it's their responsibility to make sure everyone gets a trophy whether they compete or not. If they want limits fine but all this hiding ammo from some and deciding who gets it and then acting like your making the world a better place through cronyism is crap.

Bb

How much you wanna pay for 100 rounds? You won't even have to wait in line or go anywhere. UPS deliver where you live?

Thanks for the offer. If I need it bad enough I don't mind going to gunbroker and paying market price. I found a case of brass cased Prvi at another shop and spend the big bucks to pick it up. It's OK though I'm sitting pretty well on most other things I just didn't have a lot of cheap ak stuff set back. I'm sure I can trade 5.56 or 9mm if need be. I actually have enough primers, RL26, Retumbo, H4350, Varget, RL26 and others that I should be able to barter for things I don't.

Bb

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Some folks just couldn't afford to stock up when ammo prices were reasonable. Your responsibilities to feed and clothe your family is first and foremost. Some of you make it sound like money grows on trees, I feel for the people that can't afford to buy ammo at these prices.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

If you have been shooting guns that need ammunition for more than 2 years, you have to be smarter than this. This isn’t the first so-called shortage, this has happened continuously since Clinton was in the White House.

Blaming shortages on hoarders is juvenile and short sighted. If you can’t build up a satisfactory supply when there is plenty on the shelves, blaming someone else is nothing short of stupid.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have about 20 10-gal. tubs full of ammo. Mercifully, I've been buying more than I need for a couple decades. I think I could take on an entire Chinese rifle battalion with what I have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supplier relationships become apparent in times such as this...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
It's not the distributors at the retail locations it's the same a holes that did this the last time. They wait every morning for a shipment to come in and buy what the store put's on the shelves to sell online. SHDD

I believe this 100%. I can see it on armslist every day. Seems like they're asking more every time I look on that site. I went to Rural King today for some feed, & decided to walk by gun isle to see what they had. 2-3 months ago you could buy all the cheap shotshells you wanted. I didn't see a box of anything. Never thought it would get this insane.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if I need to hold?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
When joey EO,s foriegn imports: guns, ammo, primers.
Schit will get real bad then.

And he will............

and unfortunately it's probably within' his power to do so.

Executive fiat has it's drawbacks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well for a fact every 10 cases of pistol ammo my LGS get in only 2 is getting to the shelves the online buyers will buy a whole case at a time for a higher price. They just get a credit card # put a orm d sticker on the box and ups picks it up. Never even gets opened.up.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ammo prices are in a bubble right now along with stock prices and a few other things. Price bubbles always burst. Of course there is always the chance that Joe and Kamala will find a way to put so much liability on ammo sellers that prices will stay high or even become unavailable. Barak's big deal was to cut us off from obtaining primers. He called them caps.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I know lots of people may overreact to this question but it’s been on my mind a lot lately. I just keep wondering if there’s anyway they could disperse ammo sales more evenly or rationally to prevent hoarding and avoid these times like we are currently experiencing? I just keep thinking there’s got to be a way to avoid these shortages and not having hunting ammo readily available to consumers at all times. Does anyone else wonder about this? I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

Why in the world would you ask to be regulated, for ANY reason???

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HitnRun
I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

If you have been shooting guns that need ammunition for more than 2 years, you have to be smarter than this. This isn’t the first so-called shortage, this has happened continuously since Clinton was in the White House.

Blaming shortages on hoarders is juvenile and short sighted. If you can’t build up a satisfactory supply when there is plenty on the shelves, blaming someone else is nothing short of stupid.

I am comfortable with what I currently have but it sure would be nice to spend a Saturday or Sunday having a long enjoyable shooting session and not having to worry if or when I’ll be able to replace that ammo

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well for a fact every 10 cases of pistol ammo my LGS get in only 2 is getting to the shelves the online buyers will buy a whole case at a time for a higher price. They just get a credit card # put a orm d sticker on the box and ups picks it up. Never even gets opened.up.

That's smart business.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I know lots of people may overreact to this question but it’s been on my mind a lot lately. I just keep wondering if there’s anyway they could disperse ammo sales more evenly or rationally to prevent hoarding and avoid these times like we are currently experiencing? I just keep thinking there’s got to be a way to avoid these shortages and not having hunting ammo readily available to consumers at all times. Does anyone else wonder about this? I buy when times are good but I still don’t like the feeling of not being able to go buy ammo for my favorite hunting rifles if I wanted to. It’s getting to the point that I wonder if it’ll ever recover! People aren’t afraid to pay the ignorant prices and will keep stashing it away I’m thinking. There’s got to be an answer.

As long as people are willing to pay the crazy prices, its going to be like this. People are buying it that dont need it, to resell for a profit. Some companies are selling them at auction for much higher prices than putting it on the shelf. The way I see to avoid it is to buy a lot of ammo and keep a good stash, then you dont have anything to worry about it. Another option is to load your own. It is easier to stash components and use them for multiple calibers. I dont really want anyone imposing limits, it makes it easier for the gun grabbers to accomplish their goals... especially when we limit ourselves. I suspect it will get worse and worse for gun related companies until they cant afford to stay in business. It will be the ultimate way they end the private gun ownership

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Bb

That's the benefit of running your own business...you get to decide who you sell what to. Every gunstore ought to be doing the same thing, rewarding long time and valued customers. I would expect those who gave them business then the times were good to have precedence over those who are only there in the hard times.

Some times that works and some times it doesn't
I purchased a lot of guns from a Chain store here in Communist Mexifornia Called Turner's
they had many stores across So. Cal.
I would walk into any one of their stores and they would call me out by name. Even though I had never been in that specific Store.
Upper Management knew who I was when I called the Corporate Office to ask questions.
Then I ordered a Custom Built Rifle from Turnbull.
I went to get it Dross'd (or how ever you spell it) and they delayed me over a month from getting my Rifle.
After an Argument with the Manager of my local store.
I found a Pawn shop run by the Police as a sting operation for thieves that agreed to Dross. the Rifle.
That was many years ago and I have only walked into my local Turner's store maybe twice since this happened to look.
I will never purchase prom them ever again. I would rather go to the Pawn shops and give them my Business.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone just wait until the new powers that be get us re-involved in a few places like Afghanistan and Iraq. Maybe find a few new places to send American war materiel overseas.

If you think it's hard to find primers, powder, and loaded ammo for your "hunting rifles" now, just wait until the overwhelmed production capabilities of the manufactures is all used up on military stuff.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
It's not the distributors at the retail locations it's the same a holes that did this the last time. They wait every morning for a shipment to come in and buy what the store put's on the shelves to sell online. SHDD

So, in essence, they are actually improving the channels of distribution by making the ammo available to a larger market?

Capitalism works, even if its not beneficial to you. Folks are nuts right now, they will pay anything for ammo....and I will gladly sell it to them for that.

I dont see that as capitalism at all. Many people play a role in capitalism from the miners, material producers, shippers, loaders retail stores etc. Some private citizen who artificially reduces supply by buying it up (when he doesnt want it or need it) and then reselling is not adding value to the market, not paying taxes, not creating jobs etc. He is not much more than a Tick on a hunting dog, a parasite. They do not warranty the product, replace the product or stand behind the product. They turn around and raise the price or sell it on auction to panickers for a profit that doesnt help or improve the supply chain etc. That is not capitalism and not something I would support as capitalism. It hurts more people than it helps.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I have about 20 10-gal. tubs full of ammo. Mercifully, I've been buying more than I need for a couple decades. I think I could take on an entire Chinese rifle battalion with what I have.

As it should be.
Everyone should be prepared for the future.
When I started reloading. I would pick up every single re loadable brass that I found at the range.
Then I would sort it out and put the brass that I did not have a gun to shoot it threw in a box for future use if I ever purchased a gun of that caliber.
And would reload every thing else I picked up.
My stash grew very quickly
Of Course I had to give the 10MM that I picket up back to our Range Master but I do not have a 10MM so that was an easy give back to him for letting me scrounge all of the other brass.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.