Print Thread
Hop To
J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I wasn’t sure if this or the gunsmithing section would be the best place but I figured here was where the drilling experts were!

I am thinking of purchasing this drilling that needs a stock repair. The left side of the stock at the head is “sprung”? out away from the action. Is this repairable or would a new stock need to be made? F repairable any recommendations for methods or gunsmiths? Thanks!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will see a number of drillings with bolts through the heads of the stocks to repair that problem.

Here's one
https://simpsonltd.com/greifelt-co-suhl-drilling/

they also might be able to heat it i oil and bend it back like they bend stocks to change drop and cast.

Stock replacement is quite expensive.

I bought a drilling the the whole head was shattered, with pieces missing and glued it back together, making and fitting the missing pieces and re inletting the locks to the new replacement pieces.

My old boss used to say "We do the difficult jobs, the impossible ones are just more expensive".

Last edited by erich; 01/27/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would suggest that unless you can get it at a price that would reflect the cost of restocking and possible repair, you walk away.
Take a look at what drillings are selling for in the current market and consider that a restock is probably going
to be somewhere between $1000 (probably low) and $2000.
This does not take into consideration what else might need attention. Was the warpage caused by water?
I've worked on several drillings and German shotguns over the years and the condition of the insides, once you
get them opened up, can be interesting..
Gunsmiths who work on these things usually don't come cheap.
Lots of questions to answer.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a Savage lever action like warped like that. Steamed and clamped until dry. Seal wood. Done.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
You will see a number of drillings with bolts through the heads of the stocks to repair that problem.

Here's one
https://simpsonltd.com/greifelt-co-suhl-drilling/

they also might be able to heat it i oil and bend it back like they bend stocks to change drop and cast.

Stock replacement is quite expensive.

I bought a drilling the the whole head was shattered, with pieces missing and glued it back together, making and fitting the missing pieces and re inletting the locks to the new replacement pieces.

My old boss used to say "We do the difficult jobs, the impossible ones are just more expensive".

Greifelts were notorious for broken stocks and being loose. The early post war Sauers have the screws factory installed across the cheeks.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On Marlin Owners Forum there is fellow Jtmac that works wonders on broken stocks.I bet he could repair it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to say the gun looks like it's never been apart, screw heads look new and are all still timed.

Stocks I've seen like that are usually recoil issues which wedged it apart, might be easy enough to take it off, clean it out and epoxy with some reinforcement. I'd be tempted if the price was right.

Is there a maker name? The floorplate looks like a post-war GDR gun.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.