Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is pretty sweet!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they were S/S and took AR magazines,they'd have something..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Tag

NRA lifetime member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Seriously. Give me an internal box magazine every time. Wish the detachable mag fad would pass.

While I don't much care for the Howa setup, every bolt gun I own, and will ever own, has a detachable mag. I prefer the AICS platform, but there are a couple of other valid contenders. I simply can't see a scenario where I would prefer an internal mag for any reason whatsoever.

I agree. I have several guns without detachable mags, but prefer detachable. Load up a spare mag at home, put it in your pocket and go hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If they were S/S and took AR magazines,they'd have something..................

One of the guys from Oz says they sell SS there, so why not here?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Weatherby has the lock on SS for the Vanguard I've heard. Might be BS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really do not understand the proprietary mag thing?!? Manufacturers go wayyyyyyyyy outta their way to design a Goat Fhuqk,when excellence is setting in wait on the shelf,which in retrospect is rather fhuqking funny. Hint.

The Howa DBM's are schit,along with their bottom "metal". Mag latches are proud and sprung rather weakly,so a mag is easily lost in the fray,with just routine schlepping about. A GOOD latch trim do wonders,but the lapse in execution is rather glaring. With the AR mag route,you reap like COAL in a vastly superior design,at a fraction of replacement cost,which is of course win/win. Hint.

S/S simply sells itself,for folks who actually shoot. Howa gets a few things right,but they worked extry hard,to purposely fhuqk these things up.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The Howa Mini in 6.5 grendel is sort of the Goldilocks of hunting rifles , Especially if the mag is modified a little or replaced. Nearly every aspect of it could be improved for a price, but as is it's just right for 99.9% of the hunting situations in the lower 48, and I doubt anyone would have trouble keeping the freezer filled in Alaska either.

It is a head scratcher why they stick with that cheezy mag configuration, but not so much that I want to start my own gun company to import a version that matches all my preferred specs.

I cut mine down to 16 1/4" barrel, shortened the stock and replace the mag assembly. And applied some rattlecan Weagleflage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by weagle; 01/26/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t wait for one in 6mm ARC.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by weagle
The Howa Mini in 6.5 grendel is sort of the Goldilocks of hunting rifles , Especially if the mag is modified a little or replaced. Nearly every aspect of it could be improved for a price, but as is it's just right for 99.9% of the hunting situations in the lower 48, and I doubt anyone would have trouble keeping the freezer filled in Alaska either.

It is a head scratcher why they stick with that cheezy mag configuration, but not so much that I want to start my own gun company to import a version that matches all my preferred specs.

I cut mine down to 16 1/4" barrel, shortened the stock and replace the mag assembly. And applied some rattlecan Weagleflage.

Thanks for sharing. I had cut my barrel to 16 and threaded it. But hated the magazine. I’ll get a hinged floor plate and do some painting.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cluggins
goiterous protrusion

Dammit, I just snorted Pepsi on the keyboard.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So, in the first picture we have a sub-five pound rifle with a protruding magazine and a heavy bulky scope so it won't balance or carry for sh-t. Rifle is interesting but it seems a little confused in execution. GD

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by greydog
So, in the first picture we have a sub-five pound rifle with a protruding magazine and a heavy bulky scope so it won't balance or carry for sh-t. Rifle is interesting but it seems a little confused in execution. GD

Have you ever put a “heavy scope” on a light gun and found it to balance or carry poorly? Or is this just a guess? I have and have not found this to be true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I contacted Legacy Sports and no 6mm ARC is in the pipeline.

That's too bad. I wish someone would make a bolt gun for the masses in 6mm ARC.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by weagle

Hey Weagle are those Talleys Lows? And a 2-7x33 Redfield Rev?

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Have you ever put a “heavy scope” on a light gun and found it to balance or carry poorly? Or is this just a guess? I have and have not found this to be true.

I like a lighter rifle so I can put a "bulky scope" and"protruding magazine" on it without ending up with an obscenely heavy finished product.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I put a SF 4.5-14x42 Burris on mine originally, and though not heavy, that side knob protruding was a little annoying. Replaced it with first a 6x38 Weaver, then finally a 3-9x40 Trijicon Accupoint. Just right, with both higher and lower powers on tap and the nice lighted dot, plus no stock-crawling required.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/carbon-elevate/

Here's the short action "Elevate" carbon stock and barrel 308, Creed, PRC!

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by philgood80
[quote=weagle]

Hey Weagle are those Talleys Lows? And a 2-7x33 Redfield Rev?

Yes to Both. The Talleys are the Remington 700 pattern. I think they make a set specifically for the Howa Mini that don't extend over the rear of the opening in the receiver, but it is not an issue to me.

I wish I had bought a dozen of those 2-7 Redfields when they were closing them out. It's a very nice little hunting scope if you aren't a dial spinner.

Last edited by weagle; 01/27/21.
W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tkinak
https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/carbon-elevate/

Here's the short action "Elevate" carbon stock and barrel 308, Creed, PRC!

That would be really nice with the regular Howa bottom metal like comes on the Weatherby Vanguard.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.