Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking at doing a through hike from Hope to Cooper Landing area this summer, and was wondering if anyone knows of a shuttle that could bring me and my partners back to our parked van up by Hope when we finish. Did a similar trip using this service in the Chugach once, but it's been probably 10 years. Any suggestions appreciated!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call Wildmans. I know they do drift boat shuttles, they might take this on too.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There is a Homer to Anchorage shuttle van. But I think they have fixed stops and don’t go up the hope road. Can’t hurt to call though.

https://www.alaskabuscompany.com/route-schedule

Last edited by ironbender; 01/26/21.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
There is a Homer to Anchorage shuttle van. But I think they have fixed stops and don’t go up the hope road. Can’t hurt to call though.

From the cut-off to Hope is only 15 miles, downhill all the way. I bet someone could hitch a ride easily from the Seward Hiway into Hope... or from Cooper Landing all the way in two rides.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I would park the van at your finish and have them drive you up to the start. It's a lot easier coordinating it that way.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Easier yet is having the van driver drop everyone off at the start, drive to the takeout, and hitch back...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can’t find someone in Cooper Landing on their way to Anchorage in the Summer to give you a lift, you’re not looking.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
If you can’t find someone in Cooper Landing on their way to Anchorage in the Summer to give you a lift, you’re not looking.

The standard up here is pretty low. If he's skinny and have some legs, I don't think he'll have a problem catching a ride.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

The standard up here is pretty low. If he's skinny and have some legs, I don't think he'll have a problem catching a ride.

Haha. Enjoyed that.

Gonna be with a group I'm taking, so has to be pre-coordinated. Had planned to leave the van on the north end and shuttle back after hiking because the parking lot there looks pretty good, but could definitely be an option to prestage the van at the south end, shuttle and then hike. Almost close enough to Anchorage for a cab.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender

From the cut-off to Hope is only 15 miles, downhill all the way. I bet someone could hitch a ride easily from the Seward Hiway into Hope... or from Cooper Landing all the way in two rides.

Miles longer than that to the trailhead from the turnoff. More like 20 - maybe more. And that last bit up Resurrection Road (or whatever) might be the toughest to get a ride on. Buncha Adirondacts...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I would park the van at your finish and have them drive you up to the start. It's a lot easier coordinating it that way.

Or take two vehicles. DIY.

Or plan for a 55-60 mile hike, if the catching a ride thing doesn't work out. 4 days instead of 3?.

By the way, Resurection Creek below the falls (mile 6?) is full of 6-8 inch Golden Fin (Dollies?). Fry 'em up crisp in butter and eat them like fries....bones and all. Start with cheese balls or individual eggs, then go to eyeballs from caught fish.

Last edited by las; 01/27/21.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kidding aside, maybe rent a car and stage it at the safer and more secure lot? It looks like a 2-day trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kidding aside, maybe rent a car and stage it at the safer and more secure lot? It looks like a 2-day trip.

A good friend just ran the R Pass race this past fall... Hope to Cooper Landing, round trip, with a side trip down and up Devil's Pass just to round it out to 100 miles. No trail support either. He did the whole thing in about 23 hours IIRC. Mid-50s and came in third. Sounds impressive until you find out a woman in her 60s took second...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 01/28/21. Reason: clarifying route

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by las
[quote=UPhiker]

By the way, Resurection Creek below the falls (mile 6?) is full of 6-8 inch Golden Fin (Dollies?). Fry 'em up crisp in butter and eat them like fries....bones and all. Start with cheese balls or individual eggs, then go to eyeballs from caught fish.

Great SA on this! Will definitely have a small pack rod. Was planning to do the portion of the trail shown as 45 miles in three and a half days. The idea of renting a second cheapie car to run the van to the end of the trail actually doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Last edited by OXN939; 01/28/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

A good friend just ran the R Pass race this past fall... Hope to Cooper Landing, round trip, with a side trip down and up Devil's Pass just to round it out to 100 miles. No trail support either. He did the whole thing in about 23 hours IIRC. Mid-50s and came in third. Sounds impressive until you find out a woman in her 60s took second...

My wife is one of them crazy people. She signs up for every triathlon there is every year. I hate hiking with her!

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wanted to bump this to make aure I'm on the right sheet of music here- there aren't any permits required to do the Res Pass trail, right?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not if you are going straight through or camping. USFS cabins are for rent- currently booked into September. My crazy wife just checked and asked if I wanted to go after moose season.

Uh....NO?!!!! Beautiful trip tho, especially with fall colors.

I last did the whole trail (solo) over X-mas break about 1970. On SkIs. 17 degrees when I left Hope, -50 when I got to Cooper Landing. That was fun.. Busman's Holiday- I was working on it summers on trail crew.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.