Print Thread
Hop To
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I picked up a 20ga 870 Rem pump last summer, thinking I may use it with 3" shells and TSS for turkeys this spring. Not thinking the ammo shortage would hit shotgun shells, I waited until today to start looking. I mean 2 months ahead of time, come on. I want to try some Federal 20 3" TSS in #7, or #8 shot. Big internet guys are out, but I have found some Browning 3", 20ga 1 1/2 oz #7 and #9 mixed shot shells. Anyone tried these? Are the Browning labels as good as those by Fed? Would like to get some opinions please before the Browning's dry up. I also need some help with a choke tube selection.

Thanks
Charlie

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd grab those Brownings in a heartbeat, spin in the full choke and head to the patterning board.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also try apex and foxtrot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Apex 20 ga ninja's, and you don't need a tight choke either, a good extra full choke or a carlson 575 is great. give them a call.

https://apexmunition.com/

Last edited by Goats260; 01/28/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sign up for notifications. I just snagged some Hevi Shot that way. Gotta be quick. Apex has stuff too.

Going with a .410 to start, and have plenty of those from last season.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang! The Hevi Shot I ordered Tuesday just landed on my porch!

Must be livin’ right.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, sign up for notifications is my advice....Good luck....Hb

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I found two boxes of Federal 3" #9 TSS at Rogers Sporting goods and they are on the way. Thanks for the information. I also ordered an Indian Creek choke tube. Hope to pattern this with one $8.50 shell.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know this is going to go against the current trend to use the newest and most expensive shells on the market, but many years of hunting and killing turkeys have taught me that it isn't the brand of ammo you're shooting that kills a turkey. I'm still killing them just fine with plain old lead #5's. I shoot a 20, Carlson choke, Winchester XR's, and don't try to shoot any farther than is ethical.

My point is, that if you can't find a $8.50 shell, a 2 or 3 dollar one, or even less will work just fine. My grandkids have been using plain old 2 3/4 inch, 2 3/4 drams of powder, one ounce of number 5's, and killing turkeys. Of course, they don't shoot at them in the next county over, and it's actually better, regardless of the kind of firearm/ammo combination you're using, to let that bird come within that 35-40 yard range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I know this is going to go against the current trend to use the newest and most expensive shells on the market, but many years of hunting and killing turkeys have taught me that it isn't the brand of ammo you're shooting that kills a turkey. I'm still killing them just fine with plain old lead #5's. I shoot a 20, Carlson choke, Winchester XR's, and don't try to shoot any farther than is ethical.

My point is, that if you can't find a $8.50 shell, a 2 or 3 dollar one, or even less will work just fine. My grandkids have been using plain old 2 3/4 inch, 2 3/4 drams of powder, one ounce of number 5's, and killing turkeys. Of course, they don't shoot at them in the next county over, and it's actually better, regardless of the kind of firearm/ammo combination you're using, to let that bird come within that 35-40 yard range.

Good old-fashioned common sense. Who the he// do you think you are? grin

And don't forget, you can't kill a turkey unless you're wearing your Kuiu Attack Pants or similar garb.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Boss Shotshells has a 1 1/2 ounce of 7's at $5 shell, but out of stock. I'm certain when duck seasons completely closes they'll start loading TSS. You can sign up for a notify me email when they're in stock.

My boy used Boss #9 TSS in his .410 on a gobbler last year. But truthfully, at the range he shot it at, a load of cheerios would have worked.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by StudDuck

And don't forget, you can't kill a turkey unless you're wearing your Kuiu Attack Pants or similar garb.

Hell, I'm still using a box of Winchester's that my Dad bought before I was big enough to shoot a 12 ga. Mine are 6's though. Turkey's haven't started wearing helmets.
Oh, and its out of a Winchester 37 red letter. Sure is easy to carry.

Last edited by blairvt; 01/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Boss Shotshells has a 1 1/2 ounce of 7's at $5 shell, but out of stock. I'm certain when duck seasons completely closes they'll start loading TSS. You can sign up for a notify me email when they're in stock.

My boy used Boss #9 TSS in his .410 on a gobbler last year. But truthfully, at the range he shot it at, a load of cheerios would have worked.

That’s pretty funny😜

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Hell, I'm still using a box of Winchester's that my Dad bought before I was big enough to shoot a 12 ga. Mine are 6's though. Turkey's haven't started wearing helmets.
Oh, and its out of a Winchester 37 red letter. Sure is easy to carry.

I love those old Winchester 37 red letter shotguns. I've got a 101 RL, I inherited when my Dad passed.

Full disclosure: I do use Apex Ammo TSS, but if it's not available, about anything will work; even Cheerios. (that's great!!)

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas in Rogers, AR had some TSS 20s tonight, forgot what brand. Quite a few on the shelf.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cabelas in Mitchell, SD last week had all kinds of shotgun shells that would work for Turkeys,

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While I’ve killed my share with regular 20ga lead loads and still have a ton, my mental ‘range’ abacus is entrenched from decades of 12ga use. TSS keeps that from tripping me up with the 20, when I’m dealing with spooky field birds and more open areas with birds fringing me, etc. Also, TSS seems far less choke finicky to get a great pattern, vs lead.

Usually, I can reliably find TSS and other shotgun loads in stock at local lumber stores, etc....where firearms stuff isn’t their ‘primary’ stock and trade.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/29/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Federal’s website shows the 20ga 9s as Available. Pricey, but not silly and beggars can’t be choosers

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just got another notification from Midway, this time for 3” .410 #9 TSS.

This works.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.