Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So my neighbor just bought a new Chevy Colorado with some squirrel diesel ZR-2 and tells me HIS truck is a "real" four wheel drive and my Silverado Z-71 (I have the original window sticker that says Locking Real Differential" tells me it is not. i don't get it.. Over to you experts to enlighten me...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's probably a little confused. Don't know about the Colorado, but I do know that some GM trucks had permanent All Wheel Drive, and others had a selectable "Auto 4WD" mode, that would engage the front axle automatically in low traction conditions. The more traditional trucks had 2WD, 4WD and 4WD Low selectable modes with a conventional transfer case that locked the front and rear axles together, fine for off road but hard on the drivetrain on solid surfaces. True AWD (All Wheel Drive) uses an open transfer that allows different front and rear driveshaft speeds, fine for all surfaces. If that's what he has, then I guess he thinks he's special smile

Last edited by badger; 01/28/21.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
The Colorado ZR2 comes with a locking rear differential (activated electronically) as well as a selectable locking front differential. Thus, "true" four wheel drive. If you don't have locking diffs in both axles, you can't count on getting power to all 4 wheels. A few other factory 4x4s have this, mostly Jeeps with the Rubicon package, and Ram Power Wagons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should go buy a Unimog to one up him. Or stop worrying what a neighbor says. BTW it’s locking rear differential, not locking real differential.

Last edited by K1500; 01/28/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fortymile
The Colorado ZR2 comes with a locking rear differential (activated electronically) as well as a selectable locking front differential. Thus, "true" four wheel drive. If you don't have locking diffs in both axles, you can't count on getting power to all 4 wheels. A few other factory 4x4s have this, mostly Jeeps with the Rubicon package, and Ram Power Wagons.

^^^^This^^^^

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The electric locker is the ticket in any truck front and or rear, the GM locker in the their 15-2500s will lock but only after spinning for a bit and then will unlock at about 20 mph, at times my old truck would stay locked at slow speeds chirping tires on corners.

So yes what he is saying is somewhat true if he has the electric lockers and the diesel with a good set of tires his little truck is a pretty serious off road contender.

Like K1500 said though I wouldn't let it worry me much, you can haul a larger suit case than him and get out of the way of traffic if you need to.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Real 4x4 trucks should have locking differentials, but they should also be solid axles. IFS is fine for sand racing and pavement trucks, but lockable solid axles are what constitutes a real 4x4 to me.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
You should go buy a Unimog to one up him. Or stop worrying what a neighbor says. BTW it’s locking rear differential, not locking real differential.

Thanks for being a psychic or appealing to your estrogen clairvoyance. In case you missed it (you did) it has nothing to do with one-upsmanship, but rather a technical question, but on the plus side, you have the rectal orifice schtick down pat...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fortymile

This makes it easier to understand, especially the electronic locker. Mine just says "rear locking", thank you

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Solid axles and three locking differentials (front, rear, center) is "real" 4wd!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn’t mean to offend, the UNIMOG thing was obviously a joke. In all seriousness what I read is as follows:

1. Your neighbor says HIS truck is a ‘real’ 4 wheel drive and your Z71 with a G80 locking rear isn’t a ‘real’ 4 wheel drive.
2. You don’t get it and want to be enlightened. Is that correct?

My opinion (and the point of the UNIMOG joke), he wants to engage in a ‘my truck is better than your truck’ argument for self gratification. Any vehicle without a locker on the axle could be viewed as 1 wheel drive on that axle, but no one says it that way. You don’t see a car with an open diff and say “there goes a 1 wheel drive car”. Yes. He has a locker front and rear and you have a locker in the rear only. So I suppose he means you have a 3 wheel drive.

But what he really means is he wants to get in a d*** measuring contest with you. I don’t ever see a reason to go down that road, especially with an idiot of a neighbor. The only way you can ‘win’ a contest like that with your neighbor is to go get something that is so clearly superior to his new toy he will shut up about it. Obviously that’s foolish, which is why I would just smile and nod when he starts engaging in a ‘my truck is better than yours’ discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Solid axles and three locking differentials (front, rear, center) is "real" 4wd!!

I’m not great at math but isn’t that 6 wd?

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Center diff lock is for AWD vehicles (not 4WD), which have a center diff that allows a power split between front and rear axles. This is so the vehicle can turn easily. You lock the center differential on these vehicles in low traction and they become equivalent to a regular truck in 4H.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn’t mean to offend, the UNIMOG thing was obviously a joke. In all seriousness what I read is as follows:

1. Your neighbor says HIS truck is a ‘real’ 4 wheel drive and your Z71 with a G80 locking rear isn’t a ‘real’ 4 wheel drive.
2. You don’t get it and want to be enlightened. Is that correct?

My opinion (and the point of the UNIMOG joke), he wants to engage in a ‘my truck is better than your truck’ argument for self gratification. Any vehicle without a locker on the axle could be viewed as 1 wheel drive on that axle, but no one says it that way. You don’t see a car with an open diff and say “there goes a 1 wheel drive car”. Yes. He has a locker front and rear and you have a locker in the rear only. So I suppose he means you have a 3 wheel drive.

But what he really means is he wants to get in a d*** measuring contest with you. I don’t ever see a reason to go down that road, especially with an idiot of a neighbor. The only way you can ‘win’ a contest like that with your neighbor is to go get something that is so clearly superior to his new toy he will shut up about it. Obviously that’s foolish, which is why I would just smile and nod when he starts engaging in a ‘my truck is better than yours’ discussion.

Sorry I jumped on you then,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, but no worries. I can see how it came off as snarky. Sometimes it’s hard to convey the subtlety of meaning in a post.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn electrons anyway...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Real 4x4 trucks should have locking differentials, but they should also be solid axles. IFS is fine for sand racing and pavement trucks, but lockable solid axles are what constitutes a real 4x4 to me.

Nailed it!

I love the ride on my 18 Ram, but I wish it had a solid front axel.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So my neighbor just bought a new Chevy Colorado with some squirrel diesel ZR-2 and tells me HIS truck is a "real" four wheel drive and my Silverado Z-71 (I have the original window sticker that says Locking Real Differential" tells me it is not. i don't get it.. Over to you experts to enlighten me...

You should have asked him what he means. He's likely the only one that would know that.

To have all four wheels fully engaged, you need lockers front and rear. Maybe he meant he had a front locker as well as a rear. Maybe he's just crazy. IDK

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Doesn’t matter what who has if they can’t drive it. Real 4x4 whatever that is can only be as good as the driver

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

... or you could throw a football at his groin.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/04/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.