Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, don’t laugh.

I’ve been slowly getting back into archery over the past few years. Prior was old skool aluminum arrows. It’s been awhile.

Anyway, back in the day we designated arrows for “hunting” then ones for just shooting targets. The “hunting” ones were maybe shot once or twice to check the broadheads then not messed with again.

You guys do the same now? I still number them for whatever reason.

Just wondering, had an interesting conversation with my brother about archery today.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No joke - stepped away from archery from 1997 to 2008-09ish, lost all of my gear to theft and other life events.

Coming back in - yeah, things had changed.

My aluminum arrows that were dinged, rippled plastic fletch, re-straightened etc were my target arrows, and the "perfect" shafts were in the quiver - some of this was economics, and the cost of more arrows...

For me today - I'm still a hunter first, so my target arrows for the most part - are my "old" hunting arrows - and usually have more wear and tear than the hunting arrows I'm carrying in the quiver do, but they are the same shaft and fletch, so no real difference.

But with carbons, there's a lot less to worry about IMHO, the shaft is either good, or it's cracked and trashed, and I do shoot all of my arrows with a broadhead to make sure they fly true.

I absolutely number my arrows, as that one flier in the group - may not be me after all - I've chased a tune only to find out that the flier arrow was weighted wrong, something that slipped through QC.

I also have a Golden Eagle Falcon hanging in the rack - complete with 2117s...just to remind me how far we've come.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/28/21.
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
About ‘95 for me. Martin Gonzo Safari!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
If new to me arrows or a batch I just bought, I will usually refletch to my liking and color combo and then shoot each to make sure that they are all flying true. I will then put my broad heads on and again test each 1 to get my hunting arrows and will generally put into the quiver and save for the season. I only do this so i don't have to refletch or make a new batch right before the season. I don't think it matters as far as a best arrow thing for me as todays arrows are real good.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I build my arrows and check em all before hunting.

Over time I do think carbon arrow spine can degrade so after a moderate amount of shooting make new.

Old arrows get saved for silly stuff.

But hunting and target arrows are always the same, only the good ones.

Carp in the creek near the house? Yeah, grab those dusty ones from the corner. Shoot a piney out of the tree? Dusty boolit.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/28/21.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had some GT 35/55 i hadnt shot much, changed bows.
Really in good shape.

Tired of em being in the way, gave em to a kid. 11 of em.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
16bore - i left compound shooting 25yrs ago, and returned few years back as a longbow shooter. With alum arrows used to fret slight subtle bends, hence practice vs hunting arrows. But with carbon shafts, the suckers shoot (or don’t) but are so resilient, imo i can’t tell any difference between a fresh arrow and a year old arrow, given they are otherwise identical. Quite refreshing. It’s normal to skip a carbon arrow under a 3D target, glance off a rock, etc, and sucker shoots as good as new. Really amazing how that element has changed.

P.s. if a carbon arrow strikes something hard, it won’t hold a bend, but could, if severe enough, crack longitudinally if eber slightly. This could be bad at next launch, as could splinter into the bow hand. So, get in the habit of rapping the arrow against hand, leg, or bow after a strike listening for a rattling sound, indicating a crack. No rattle = carry on. Once you’ve heard it once, you’ll know what i mean. The other, more obvious, issue is hitting rock or say a steel cutout target, and splintering just the shaft tip behind the insert. But, that you should notice easily. In either case we’re talking strikes waaaaay beyond what an alum shaft would have withstood and remained straight.

Last edited by sandcritter; 01/29/21.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
T
I do. It sure why.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I do think carbon arrow spine to degrade over time.

Shoot a lot? Buy new now and then

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you’ve every seen a carbon arrow bust up it’s pretty nasty. You don’t want any of it finding it’s way under your skin.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Great advice already, especially from sandcritter about testing arrows. To be extra safe, I give my arrows the old twist-and-bend before and after every shooting session--or after I hear a loud crack when the arrow hits a target frame or something. If you hear any crunching sound, turn that arrow into a tomato stake.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use the same carbon arrows for hunting and practicing. I love carbon arrows, they are straight or broken.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And if you stump shoot, mostly broken.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I shoot traditional longbows and recurves in the #50-#54 range and have never considered shooting carbon arrows. Dabbled with aluminum for a couple of years, but really prefer lodgepole pine, Douglas fir or cedar over anything.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Traditional Only carbons footed are tough as nails. I have some that have banged stumps, rocks, fence posts and trees multiple times without a problem.
Easton ACC's are long lasting as well. Multiple kills with same arrow is normal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I shoot carbon and target practice with hunting broad heads, so arrows are one and the same. Cry once and replace as needed.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I use the same carbon arrows for hunting and practicing. I love carbon arrows, they are straight or broken.

This. Only aluminum arrows I shoot are 2712's for indoors.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.