Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Looking for a new truck. It's personal preference, but I've ruled-out a Dodge (and I currently own one), Chevrolet and possibly the Ford F-150.

I'm looking hard at a Ford F-250, 6.2L, but having a rough time finding one in the right color/gear ratio/options that the wife and I can agree on. For the same amount of money, I can buy a Toyota Tundra.....it sure does check a lot of boxes, but if I buy one, I don't want to start drinking mocha lattes and wearing skinny jeans. eek

The only complaints I hear about are fuel mileage, seats and beds rusting underneath at the corner welds....nothing Fluid Film won't handle.

For you guys who are driving a Tundra, what are your thoughts?

I get a kick out of people that worry about fuel mileage on a truck.

The last thing I worry about is mileage when it comes to trucks.

Its a tool to me and I could care less what kind of mileage it gets as long as the mileage is comparable to the power I am getting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Probably going to ruffle some Toyota feathers here but gotta tell it like it is.
The Toyota Trundra has not been a hit here in my slice of midwest farm/ranch country.There are very few of them around,I would say the domestics out number the TT by at least 100-1.I know of only one guy who replaced his first TT with a second one.
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.It must be that many people are happy with their domestics,I am.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hlg
Probably going to ruffle some Toyota feathers here but gotta tell it like it is.
The Toyota Trundra has not been a hit here in my slice of midwest farm/ranch country.There are very few of them around,I would say the domestics out number the TT by at least 100-1.I know of only one guy who replaced his first TT with a second one.
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.It must be that many people are happy with their domestics,I am.

Same here. I just don't see them.
Next to my business is a truck accessory shop. Really don't see them there. He works on more Titans than Tundras but it's a parade of Fords Chevys and Rams through the parking lot every day. I do see a occasional Tacoma but its rare to see a Tundra.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the Tundra - on my third one now - had a 2005 4.7L, 2013 4.6L, now a 2020 5.7L. Put a little over 150k on each of the first two, just starting out with the new one. All reliable, comfortable, and great build quality. BUT...if you want/need the payload and towing capacity of an F250 you'll likely end up disapointed with a Tundra - they are not 3/4 ton trucks. IMO they are very good 1/2 ton plus trucks - but not a 3/4 ton.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I t get a kick out of people that worry about fuel mileage on a truck.

The last thing I worry about is mileage when it comes to trucks.

You must not drive much. I live in the sticks and I care about fuel mileage in every vehicle I have. I only drive the truck if I need to, otherwise it's the Camry that gets 38 mpg. I don't understand guys who have the attitude that mileage doesn't matter in a truck, does money fall from the sky when you get into a pickup? Fuel is money and I don't have money to waste.

Ask any OTR trucking company if they don't care about fuel mileage because they drive trucks. I fly for an airline and the things they do to save fuel would boggle your mind.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They all suck for fuel mileage, if you compare similar vehicle configs with V8 spark ignited engines, under real world use. You may see a few MPG difference, but you should also consider selling price. When I bought my 2017 Tundra, I got it for quite a bit less than a comparable Ford or GM so in my mind it offset that small MPG penalty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hlg

It seems regional. Tundras and Tacomas are very common here. Especially with the "overland" crowd.

When I visited my parents in FL, I don't remember seeing many of either though. Ford and GM for full size, and a ton of Nissan Frontiers.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/30/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I just sold my 2017 TRD 4x4 with 5.7L at 65k miles. I really liked it for a 1/2-ton truck. Only a couple of complaints with it in the end, both of which I was aware of before buying it.

Had one warranty item. It blew fuses when the map lights were turned on.

I forgot about the decorative lug nuts. The shiny covering deformed to the point where I couldn't get a socket on some of them without effort. They were replaced with Gorilla lug nuts.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hlg
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.

Wrong.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
TOYota's are great if you're only 5'6" tall.

Wrong.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Resale?
Where I live a comparable year model Ford or Chevy sells for 3-5 grand less than the Tundra, I have had Three different Used Truck dealers try to buy mine at gas stations because of their resale value and demand.. Can't speak for the rest of the country but here they are hard to find used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got 25k miles on my 2020 Crewmax. Really like it.

My only fuel mileage “test” was driving 140 miles of round trip interstate, plus 15 miles of town driving. Refilled at the sane pump beginning and end. Set cruise on 75 and never hit brakes or other exiting and town. I forget exactly, but hand calculated it was 16.2, computer said 16.3. Crank it up to 80+ on those western interstates and it falls fast. Same for loading it up. Same for city driving.

It is definitely not a 3/4 ton. I’ve got an F250 also, the dreaded 6.0 that I really like actually, and there is no question as to them being different. Different horses for different courses.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a 2019 Limited Double Cab. Only has 11k miles on it, but has been great so far (Do need to get it in for the fuel pump recall). MPG is about what I'd expect from a 385hp V8. If I wanted to squeeze every last MPG out of a vehicle, I would've bought a Civic.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just sold my 2017 TRD 4x4 with 5.7L at 65k miles. I really liked it for a 1/2-ton truck. Only a couple of complaints with it in the end, both of which I was aware of before buying it.

Had one warranty item. It blew fuses when the map lights were turned on.

I forgot about the decorative lug nuts. The shiny covering deformed to the point where I couldn't get a socket on some of them without effort. They were replaced with Gorilla lug nuts.

You got the swollen nuts too? Just went through that recently on my Tundra and replaced with the Gorilla lugs. Dealer told me that it was a corrosion/heat/shrink deal. BS....It was the guys on the impact wrench trying to pull the lugs through the hub that messed them up.

I think it's also happened on some other brands, not just the Tundra.

He went over yonder way
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looking for a new truck. It's personal preference, but I've ruled-out a Dodge (and I currently own one), Chevrolet and possibly the Ford F-150.

I'm looking hard at a Ford F-250, 6.2L, but having a rough time finding one in the right color/gear ratio/options that the wife and I can agree on. For the same amount of money, I can buy a Toyota Tundra.....it sure does check a lot of boxes, but if I buy one, I don't want to start drinking mocha lattes and wearing skinny jeans. eek

The only complaints I hear about are fuel mileage, seats and beds rusting underneath at the corner welds....nothing Fluid Film won't handle.

Well if you're looking at F-250 gasser, you sure as schit shouldn't worry about the MPG of a Toyoter.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

Well if you're looking at F-250 gasser, you sure as schit shouldn't worry about the MPG of a Toyoter.

Reading comprehension is so very important. grin

I didn't say I was worried about it. It is one of the few complaints I've read about and/or heard about.

What ever happened to the RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) Program from back in the 70's? whistle

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love mine. I got the 4.6. Fuel economy combined city/hwy is the same as my dads 3.5 eco. Way less power though.

But I’m certain mine will be way more reliable and cheaper to run over the next ten years than the 3.5 eco.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my Tundra but must say the gas mileage bugs me. Lately, and it may be just the winter fuel mix I guess, my mileage has dropped to around 12-13 including highway. Looking at a Ford F250 7.3. Mileage will suck but dammit I'll have something I can pull a trailer with as needed with no issues.

Other than mpg, I've had quirky electronics in both Tundras I have owned. First one I sold at 160,000 mile or around there. Never repaired anything on it. This one is at 105,000 miles and looks and drives great. No issues other than on occasion the bluetooth weirds out for a while.

If I was to buy another Tundra I'd get the SR5 with no other packages. And immediately put in Bilstein 6112 shocks at highest setting, diff drop, new UCA up front, skid plate with oil change door, rear Bilstein 5160 shocks and a 1" coachbuilder shackles on the rear leafs. Their TRD offroad package sort of sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
Love my Tundra but must say the gas mileage bugs me. Lately, and it may be just the winter fuel mix I guess, my mileage has dropped to around 12-13 including highway. Looking at a Ford F250 7.3. Mileage will suck but dammit I'll have something I can pull a trailer with as needed with no issues.

Other than mpg, I've had quirky electronics in both Tundras I have owned. First one I sold at 160,000 mile or around there. Never repaired anything on it. This one is at 105,000 miles and looks and drives great. No issues other than on occasion the bluetooth weirds out for a while.

If I was to buy another Tundra I'd get the SR5 with no other packages. And immediately put in Bilstein 6112 shocks at highest setting, diff drop, new UCA up front, skid plate with oil change door, rear Bilstein 5160 shocks and a 1" coachbuilder shackles on the rear leafs. Their TRD offroad package sort of sucks.

I would give that 7.3 some time before buying.

I know of 1 of them and it was in the shop most of last year waiting on engine parts. Busted crank.

Too new and no parts available for repairs.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/02/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

About the same.

My 2015 F-350 gets about 16 highway which is a majority of my driving, 12-14 pulling a trailer that weighs in at just over 10k with a loader on it.

Damn sure wouldn't recommend one though. Have spent about $5500 in repairs from 50k to 120k.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/02/21.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.