Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just curious about how well-protected you folks think you need to be at home. If you carry a weapon on you at all times while you're around the house, then this probably doesn't apply to you: but we certainly don't--especially when we're...ah...not wearing enough attire to support a holster, shall we say.

Penny and I each have a 9mm semiauto within easy reach of our sleeping positions, as well as a 12ga pump (with fours in the mag, 00s and slugs in the SideSaddle) in the bedroom that can be in action within fifteen seconds or less. Since I spend so much time in the computer room, there's another 9mm semiauto hidden within instant reach of my position in front of the computer. I want another handgun near the front door, so that it's easy to answer the door with it held behind one's back, should one feel the need, but I haven't found a decent place for it yet. I'd also like to see a gun somewhere in the TV room, probably another short-barrelled 12ga pump, and if she thinks long enough about it, Penny might like one in the kitchen. (These last two I imagine for home invasions where the goblins come crashing through the door rather than ringing the bell, so as not to provide access to the gun by the door.)

So for us, that's four house guns at the ready with plans (or at least fantasies) for three more--only half as many as my uncle in Oklahoma whose 600yd rifle range I posted photos of last year. (And his fourteen are only the ones I know about.)

Anyone else?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Everywhere. I think I counted ten house guns in various places.

If you see a handgun, it is loaded and ready to fire.

Shotguns, the short ones, are also loaded. OO Buck.

Sporting arms are cleared and in the gun safes.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just quit worrying about it B.

.....buried 2,000 gal of Foo-gas all around my flowerbeds, and wired it into my Video remote control.

The fall back position is a lot more energy intensive, and seein's how I don't want to get in dutch, we'll leave whatever that is up to imaginations.

The Chupacabras generally handle day to day boundary security cleanup / patrol chores well. In this muggy weather though, one does have to stay right on top of policing up the odd limbs, otherwise it'll get a bit ripe.
Almost never see torso or head parts though, ....seems that's what they like the best.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/29/07.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One next to the toilet, hate to get caught with my pants down...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure I could find a 1911 laying around and also a sig p229. as for other arms, I do know of a nice 18" double bbl shotgun and another pump thats laying around. Yeah they are all loaded.

I figure that should give me time to get into my safe, if not, I'm gonna take a few with me.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
.44 spl on the bedside table,..a Springfield Armory government model usually follows me around the house and vehicle, and for discreet social occasions a slick little 1920 .32 long Colt Police Positive is an unobtrusive companion.

One never knows when they'll find me fondling an FAL either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crap, ......

I just went to play Lonesome Dove, and blew all my nice petunias clean over into Sonora, Mex.

Gonna have to get a different remote, I guess.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
other than my handgun that I keep readily available for personal/home protection, they are in a large, fireproof safe ...

-WGM-
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting ! we do on occasion have American's working out at a local feedlot, when they first arrive they are generally shocked to find that we Australians go about unarmed, for the first couple of months most of them look like they are walking on eggshells, after a period they seem to come to grips with the fact that no-one is walking about armed and that no-one is interested in harming them, after this realization they seem to relax and are quite happy with the situation as not only they themselves are unmolested but neither are their families.
Regards, J Stuart.

Ps, the horror on their faces when they find that they cannot carry is something to behold.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All locked securely in a safe downstairs. I could have something in hand in about 3 minutes if I was really in rush. Mean while the house dog (Norwich terrier) could be kicking a--. If I had the slightest feeling that I needed to pack, I would move in a second. Left town to travel 130 miles to neighboring city for shopping yesterday for 8 hours, and we left the house unlocked and keys in 2 of the rigs out front. We do lock the place up though if we are off overnight.

I once had a broken lawn mower and figured the quickest way to be rid of it was to have it stolen. Cleaned it up real nice, sat it out on the edge of the yard (we had a corner lot) 24/7 for 3 weeks, and no one even breathed on it. Several neighbors did suggest that I put it away though, as it could get stolen.

So far in 61 years, I've never felt even the remotest need to pack. Opps, I take that back. I did keep a rifle handy while hunting bou and moose out on the Alaska tundra, and we did move after on 15 days.

About the most useful thing I have handy at home is a mag flashlight. 1Minute

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Interesting ! we do on occasion have American's working out at a local feedlot, when they first arrive they are generally shocked to find that we Australians go about unarmed, for the first couple of months most of them look like they are walking on eggshells, after a period they seem to come to grips with the fact that no-one is walking about armed and that no-one is interested in harming them, after this realization they seem to relax and are quite happy with the situation as not only they themselves are unmolested but neither are their families.
Regards, J Stuart.

Ps, the horror on their faces when they find that they cannot carry is something to behold.

Our government has this peculiar long standing tradition of bringing vast quantities of people into the country who hate us,... which, let's face it, is just about anyone you care to mention these days,....

It's wise for an American to keep his game face on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I'm going to have to get on top of my home defense strategy, the Mountain Howitzer loaded with "Langridge" seemed to be a first rate , Primo option......at first glance.

Carefully following old arcane British Naval warfare text, we made the stuff up....treble hooks, rusty scrap iron, nuts bolts and small block Chev sparkplugs, ....about 2 lbs, in front of a pound of coarse B.P. Had we stopped there, I guess things wouldn't have gone quite so bad.....admittedly it was a bit drunk out when we decided to add a healthy dose of Strycnine, and Peyote buds.

Effective ? , .....oh hell yes, but the aftermath was a bit sticky. The coroner's report did clearly state though that the interlopers "Died Happy". The blast radius Superfund site extending 3 miles in front of the door is going to be an ongoing nuisance, ...what with genetic mutation, and birth defect claims, however.

Now this Foo-gas stunt goes bad.

Ya'll REALLY think I should just get some sorta' pistol ?

GTC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Bristoe, "bonsai" Howard is doing the same over here, but I live in the country where people are still civilized.
Regards, James.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Yes Bristoe, "bonsai" Howard is doing the same over here, but I live in the country where people are still civilized.
Regards, James.

If you're so civilized,... why did your government see the need to disarm you?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

...but prob'ly fades into insignificance compared to the looks on the faces of those who are unfortunate enough to be in the rare but not impossible position of really NEEDING a firearm to defend themselves just then...

I grew up in England there Mate, now I live in the 'States. Left to my own druthers I'll choose having the option of bearing arms anyday thank you.

The 2nd Amendment... don't leave the Empire without it... grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You know what, pal.....?

Some statistics, and quotes about crimes of violence in AUS are fixin' to get posted on this thread,....at a relaxed pronto pace.

Let's just say over the next 3 days.

I've gotta' contact some bros "Down Under" with your attitudinal assinine B.S., ....and will let them respond.....with REAL facts, and REAL figures.

You must think that we're operating in some sorta' vacuum, or something.

DFTFT, I says.

GTC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do not believe the bullsh_t, we still have our longarms, we can still possess and use smallarms and should you require the use of semi_auto longarms all you have to do is present the correct paperwork.
Basically not a lot has changed except that the government shouts out loud that it has made everyone safe, the whole thing was about making the idiot politicians look good to halfwit suburban housewives.
Most of the people that I know possess and use firearms, that said I would most definitely like to limit criminal access to firearms, however that is not likely to happen.
Regards, J Stuart.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Many of us old world Americans still have some fundamental ideas about freedom and liberty.

The primary one being that government is the servant of the people,... and one's servant obviously isn't in the position of denying their masters anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, you folks are right on top of things, and we Quigleys are "Uncouth misfits"......

Stand by , Pal, ....facts are going to get in the way of your nonsense.

and a good hunter knows how to wait.

besides, EPA is here about the blast radius issue, and I have to do some "paperwork".

Paperwork my Azz.

GTC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am sorry, I did not realise that I was getting into an argument,
if that is your intention then I would like to point out that I live in the COUNTRY, NOT in the city where there are all types of characters that like to prey on others.
Since I have absolutely no intention of arguing with you or calling you names how about you extend me the same courtesy
Regards, J Stuart.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.